Posing ideas

arizonacrystal

Ditto the magazines. Fashion mags have had a strong influence on bridal mags the past few years. And many brides-to-be look at these magazines, so they'll probably have an idea of how they'd like to look. They may just be shy about posing until you encourage them. (Not that shyness runs in my family's girls - I wish they *didn't* automatically strike a fashion pose so often when I'm trying to get natural looking portraits.)

<a href="http://groups.msn.com/Asktheoleproaboutphotography/joezeltsman.msnw">Posing People</a> by Joe Zeltsmann. An excellent resource!<p>

He writes, "Some 50 years ago, I received a call from a photographer friend from another town. He asked me if I�d like to attend a five-day class with Van Moore, a well-known portrait photographer.....especially renowned for his bridal portraiture. I said that I would.....and I did."

Crystal, I guess it largely depends on what you and your clients are after. If they want 'traditional' style images, then resources like Joe Zeltsmann's is great. If they are after more contemporary, then current fashion magazines might be your first option. <br><br>

Personally, my approach to capturing people leans towards the 'natural' and 'spontaneous'. What I usually do is to bring my clients into the 'zone' by asking such a question like, "imagine that in fifty years time, you will be viewing the photo I am going to take of you now.... how would you want to be seen? What memories do you want to come flooding back?". Then, I sit back and let them 'pose' themselves into something that has special meaning to them. After a bit of tweaking (stray hair etc), I take a series of shots. This technique seems to work very well with most people.<br><br>

Just sharing my thoughts... M :)

• 1 month later...