Porting from 1-and-1, and your experiences with Bluehost?

ianivey

<p>Until now, I've just been using my SmugMug gallery as "my web site." I'm ready to have my own site built (I imagine I will continue to use SmugMug for hosting/gallery space, but would like to integrate it into a full-fledged photography web site) to aid marketing my wedding and family photo services. </p>

<p>I've had my name reserved for years using 1-and-1, but never did much to build a site because I don't know a thing about coding or site building, and their tools are not user-friendly. And the tools 1-and-1 does offer produce results that seem very amateur-looking.</p>

<p>Given comments elsewhere on photo.net, I'm considering Bluehost.com, and I assume I'll have to have my domain name ported over. I'm not sure whether this is as easy as having my phone number ported to a new service provider. </p>

<p>Has anyone here ported a domain name from one provider/host to another? Has anyone dealt specifically with porting from 1-and-1? Has anyone ported to Bluehost?</p>

<p>I'd appreciate any words of caution or wisdom. I'm not sure what to expect, and would like to avoid mistakes by learning from your experiences. </p>

<p>It says this on their home page:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>You already have a domain name or web site?</strong><br /> Great! We'll help you setup your domain to work on Bluehost and more...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It also gives their phone number as (888) 401-4678. This should be enough to do what you want.<br /></p>

<p>Ha! Yes, I'd gotten that far, Jeff, but thanks. I'm posting here because I'm interested in whether anyone has been through the process (with Bluehost or 1-and-1, or both). Before I contact them, I'd benefit from hearing from anyone who did this and either is happy or has regrets. Forewarned is forearmed. </p>

<p>Jeff is right, it's the job of the new host to update all the DNS' with the new IP address for your Website, and the old host will drop your IP with them from it's server(s). You, however, are responsible for ensuring the domain name host is updated, either through your new Website host or through your account on the domain name host. The host name is simply the lookup for the information about your domain name.</p>

<p>Hi Ian,<br>

I moved my company website to Blue Host and it was a simple process (for my IT guy :) ) .<br>

I have been tracking performance on Monitor.us and it's been impeccable so far.<br>

No issues, only been on there for about 6 months so can't say anything categorically but they seem very good, communication is good and performance not an issue.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Kevin</p>