PORTABLE LIGHTING UNIT

danny_rivenbark

I AM LOOKING FOR A PORTABLE LIGHTING UNIT THAT CAN BE USED OUTDOORS OR IN THE STUDIO. ONE THAT IS STRONG ENOUGH TO SHOOT THROUGH MED-LARGE SOFT BOXES WITH A DECENT F-STOP (5.6-8)OR BARE BULB FLASH. THE UNIT MUST HAVE A MODELING LIGHT AND ADJUSTABLE POWER SETTINGS. CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A FEW BRAND(S) THROUGH EXPERIENCE.

• 8 months later...

I have rented the Porty 1200 by Hensel and, of all the portable flash set ups I have used, it is the best. It delivers 1200 ws power and can be used with an AC adapter in the studio. Unlike most of these units, it has a model light. It's power can be adjusted in fine increments, like a Broncolor Pulso pack.

Best of all, it is a lot smaller and lighter than a lot of equally powered alternatives.

• 1 year later...
PROFOTO 7B is the best on the market. I shoot fashion mostly. I need a system that will give me power if I need it. I need a very fast recycle time. I wan't a quality of light color, that will make my work stand out ahead of the other photographers in my field. I need a system thats reliable and functions with a flow of movement. I also desire a system that I can grow with that will match the same light quality of my studio lights. I also need a fast flash duration. PROFOTO has it all. It has the most AWESOME light "QUALITY" I've seen on the market. You can take the PRO 7B, thier COMPACTS (MONO-LIGHTS), ACUTE PWR PACKS or thier PRO7 PWR PACKS anywhere in the world. The name is one of the very best company's in the buisness (if not the best). Every piece of equipment is crafted in a modern, functional and reliable design, unlike any other line, that I have seen on the market. The PRO7B is expensive! So is thier other PRO line gear. Their compact's (MONOLIGHTS) are the best bang for your buck in the fashion world! (comparing the requirments listed above). If you can afford it, get the PRO 7B and a couple of COMPACTS for your studio lights. The PRO7B can not be plugged in an a/c source and be used like the HENSEL PORTY. Always keep in mind that there are short commings with products that do "multi-task" jobs. What scares me about HENSEL, BALCAR, and BRONCOLOR portable systems, is thier placement in U.S.A. There not very "rooted" or "backed up" by any one that makes me feel comfertable. MAMIYA is now behind PROFOTO and even with the name and reputation PROFOTO has had for some 35-45? years, MAMIYA has sold more PROFOTO gear in less than a years time, then PROFOTO has sold in all the years it's been in buisness!! It's AWESOME gear! You can grow with the whole line. I'ts world wide adaption for a/c which is great also (you need to buy a diffent a/c cord from PROFOTO). Go to thier web site and check it out yourself. I've searched the market spending thousands of hours researching on the "best" over all portable and studio lighing equipment. If you can't afford the PRO 7B, at least get the COMPACTS. Also check out the BRONCOLOR PORTABLE. IF there was "NO WAY" I could afford the PROFOTO PRO7B, I would most likely get the BRONCOLOR portable system. But I have to have the best to make me stand out in front of the "MASSES". I wan't the light quality to match studio lighting with my portable light quality system. I wish you the best of luck. The PRO-7B has 1200 WS, @ 3.0 seconds and a very fast flash duration! It smokes everything else on the market!!!! PLUS IT LOOKS LIKE THE FOLKS FROM FERRARI DESIGNED IT!! TAKE CARE!

• 2 years later...

I recently purchased the Hensel Porty 1200 unit. The unit is very powerfull and a pleasure to use. The new improved battery tray is so fast! I can replace a battery in seconds. I have owned Norman and Lumedyne both nice units however the Hensel is the next level of performance. I looked into the Profoto 7b and feel that it's a dream pack system. However the dream pack becomes a Nightmare when you figure the price of the pack, charger, and 2 heads. I priced the Profoto 7b at close to $6,000 with 2 heads. I picked up the Hensel Porty pack with 2 batteries, 2 heads, charger and extension cable for $2,800.

Cheers,

Eric Dean

Orlando FL.

• 11 months later...