PopPhoto Camera Test: Nikon D300

peter_lawrence

<br>

Popular Photography has just published its comprehensive review and test report on the Nikon D300. The

test results are very impressive and include some best-to-date performance measurements for any DSLR

that the PopPhoto Lab has tested. (Note: Popular Photography has yet to test the Nikon D3 nor has it

published any test results for the Canon EOS-1D Mark III.)<br>

<br>

The Nikon D300 test report can be read on the PopPhoto website:<br>

<a href="http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4911/camera-test-nikon-

d300.html">http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4911/camera-test-nikon-d300.html</a><br>

<br>

I really think Nikon has scored a jackpot here and that the D300 will be considered one of the best Nikons ever made -- an unusual feat in the digital age. The focus points, the screen, D-Lighting, etc.

If they put the sensor, LCD screen and half the focus ability into a D90 body or a D200s, priced at say $1,100. the 40D won't be able to touch it.

What I'm hoping is a D90 type product will be released in the coming year that has most of the capability of the D300 for 2/3 the price, and in a more compact package. Maybe even add a tilt LCD to make the live view deal useful. That would be outstanding! There seems to be a pattern with Nikon that their latest released DSLR has the best high ISO performance.

Kent in SD

I'm wondering how many of you are like me.

I need only one ISO: 100 (or 200 depending on whether it's a CCD or CMOS), one point of focus and the ability to bracket -2,0,+2. The histogram could be just one (RGB would of course be better).

The only other thing I need is that it gives an image quality which is equal to or better than the quality from the 5D.

As far as I am aware Landscape is the most popular category, so there must be a lot of us out there.

How much should a camera that only does the above cost?

Impressive comments/findings in the review.<p>

I don't think Kent's D90 request is out of line. So I'll second it. <p>

<i>My D90</i> would have the articulating lcd -- now offered on the new Olympus E3 as well as the new Panasonic dslr if I'm not mistaken. I use that feature a great deal on a p & s camera, and I really like it for street shooting. <p>

Foregoing the rugged build quality/weather sealing of the D300, my D90 would be appreciably lighter in weight. It would 'make do' with 3 - 4 frames per second, not 6. And its shutter wouldn't promise me the number of actuations I might expect with a D300.<p>

Pros will still want the higher frame rate and better build quality of the D300. Snappers like me will have a very capable machine and perhaps $650 - 750 left in our pockets ... momentarily, at least until we get to the next aisle at the camera store. :)

I also want movie recording, play some mp3s, maybe also Solitaire function. Maybe they should just stick one unremoveable lens on it that covers a lot of range so that I don't have to change lenses all the time. It's also should be as small as possible and cheaper than current DSLR prices. And yes, in silver colour as well please.