Point and Shoot with Swivel Screen

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a digital point and shoot with a swivel screen. It doesn't have to be tiny, I'm just looking

for something smaller and more portable than my current dslr rig to tote on the more casual days. I had done extensive research and

finally decided on the Canon A 650 IS and began trying to save money.......only to search in dismay and find it discontinued. (selling on

amazon for over $500 now) There were used versions for less, but I'm always weary of 'marketplace' transactions after a couple bad

experiences. (amazon always eventually refunded money for faulty sellers, but it at times look weeks and I don't want to without money

for too long.) I was hoping for something with manual controls, a swivel screen.....and hopefully not over $300 (I know, I might be out of

luck...). I wasn't sure if any other manufacturers made swivel screens or if anyone had first hand experience with other canon models and

would like to share their opinions. I'm not picky about megapixels....but something that would produce nice results at 8x10 or so......it

wouldn't be my main camera, but i am tired of being places and thinking "I wish I had my camera with me....."

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Shannon,

Would the Canon S5 IS work for you? I recently bought one as I was often leaving the 40D at home. I am quite happy with it. The swivel screen works well, I particularly like it for flowers [no need to lie in the dirt squinting through a viewfinder]. It's bulkier than many P&S of course, but for my use is a reasonable compromise. I think it was about $340 on Amazon. I did add the lens adapter and hood.

Roger.<div>00Qb5a-66255584.thumb.jpg.5b56968dda38d7bc87e48a7d442b354f.jpg</div>

If you want a good camera and the twist and turn screen you look at the Panasonic FZ50 which has the advantage of having its lens ready and able 7/24 against the S5 IS having to come out to play. This 7/24 means it is strong emough to carry filters and adaptor lens without damm fool mounting tubes which are a clumsy make-over. I wonder what DC Resource has againstr Panasonic for not inlcuding the FZ50 in its list.

[[i had done extensive research and finally decided on the Canon A 650 IS and began trying to save money.......only to search in dismay and find it discontinued. (selling on amazon for over $500 now)]]

Yowzers. A sure sign that Canon is going to replace it.

Try local brick-and-mortar stores. They're likely to have it at non-inflated prices.

Cool....thanks for the input....I'll look around at some of the smaller stores in town. Maybe i'll find one somewhere but so

far I've only found A580 or A720 in stock.....I have yet to stumble upon someone with a A650 in stock (because i would

have bought it on the spot i'm sure....)

If not, I'll consider the S5....a little more than I had planned, but I might wait til October and hope for some birthday money

to roll in...........