Pocketwizard poor range :(

<p>Hi All, <br>

So I recently bought pocketwizards plusx and tt5's for canon. <br>

Today I was shooting outdoors triggering the camera with a camranger, camera with the plusx and speedlite with a tt5. I cant seem to get flash transmission over 15 feet outdoors. the pw's are supposed to work hundreds of feet away. I also tried using two tt5's and still same poor results. what could I be doing wrong?</p>

<p>Did the Pocket Wizards work normally away from that location?</p>

<p>If the PWs functioned normally in another location, can you describe the surroundings in the area where the failure occurred? Were there any potential sources of radio frequency/electromagnetic interference? Faulty electronic billboards, defective power line transformers, etc.?</p>

<p>Hi, I recall there being an issue with some Canon flashes interfering with the pocketwizard reception. Possibly this is your problem? (The ideal solution was to separate the flash and the PW receiver by a foot or two.)</p>

<p>There's info available here: <a href="http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/range/">http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/range/</a></p>

<p>I've never used a CamRanger but from the description it "creates an ad-hoc Wi-Fi network," which presumably means it is transmitting a radio signal (wifi is a specific type of low power radio signal). So would it be interfering with the PW? I'd try the PW's without with CamRanger and see what happens. Maybe also try them on different channels or frequencies.</p>

I used a CamRanger with Both and Nikon cameras in combination with standard non ControlTL PocketWizards

(specifically multiple MultiMAX transceivers -same technology as the Plus X) without issues. The CamRanger and the

PocketWizards work on very different frequencies.

HOWEVER, the Canon EOS-1DX (and perhaps this is true of some of the other most recent high end Canons. You'll

need to see if the body has Canon's proprietary radio system built in) does not like to be used with other radio transceiver

systems being used for off camera TTL controlled flash . I have seen this with both the PocketWizard ControlTL system

and the Profoto B1's AirTTL system.