Pn needs more......

wade_rose

"places" could be one. Something between architecture, landscape and travel which could include parts (or views) of villages, street corners...<p>

But a truth is: more you have the choice, more this choice is difficult.

Abstract(8664) Action(1457) Aerial(758)

Animal(10828) Architecture(11279) Avian(4044)

Camera Phone(26) Candid Portraiture(6714) Children(836)

Chocolate(2) Cityscape(7406) Commercial(286)

Concerts(5) Cowperson(9) Decisive Moment(3816)

Documentary(4431) Emotive(7373) Erotic(1164)

Events(6) Expression(6143) Family(1367)

Fashion(1312) Fine Art(4206) Flowers(11444)

Fruits(4) Glamour(1165) Humorous(2676)

Industrial(879) Interior(1031) Journalism(1438)

Landscape(31206) Macro/Close Up(8973) Manipulations(3252)

Melons(1) Misc.(4221) Monochrome(1307)

Montage(640) Mountains (5) Nature(11826)

Night Scenes(2430) Nude Physique Female(3768) Nude Physique Male(312)

Panoramic(632) People at Work(25) PhotoArt(2210)

Portrait(14660) Product(260) Seascape(7298)

Self-portraiture(2) Series(876) Sky(2249)

Snapshot(1622) Sports(1675) Stage(111)

Still Life(4279) Stock(56) Street(6135)

Sunsets(14) Surrealistic(641) Swimsuit(127)

Tourist(2470) Toy Camera(88) Underwater(0)

Vehicle(1226) Vintage(476) Wedding(457)

Wildlife(1900)

Wade: The choices you have are good, but I don't think categories like "chocolate " or "cowperson" need to be there. I realize that those were taken from another site, but thats just my two cents. I also find it hard to put photos into categories sometimes because they fit in more than one. For example, you could have a portrait, but it could be severly manipulated, so where do you put it? People, or digital alterations?

How about if all the categories were listed, when you go to submit a photo for critque, and beside each there was a little check box, and you could check each of of the categories that the photo fits in. YOu could have a limit of say, 3.

Maybe this is not able to be done. It was just an idea.

I can't disagree. More catagories would be great. Would like to see ZOO added as a catagory. Big differance photographing a lion in the wild or at the zoo. Break out nudes into male or female. Break out travel to regions of the world, such as S.America, Japan, Europe and so on.

Thanks

Stephen

I are a cowperson! Well actually I'm a ranchhand and in Western lingo I "punch cows" for a living, now that should cause some confusion, I'm sure there will be some folks with visions of me hitting cows and they'll be ready to sic the humane society on me........but really, I agree with Wade, we could use a few more categories and I've tried on several occassions to request a Western theme one for those of us taking pictures of Rodeos, Ranch activities, horse shows, etc., and I've never gotten a response from the head honchos. Now one for chocolate maybe going a little too far.....

The categories aren't supposed to be keywords precisely defining the subject matter of the photo. They are supposed to be just broad genres of photography. We maybe have headed a bit down the path of making the categories too specific, with categories like "Cars", and "Birds". It would have perhaps been better if we had stuck with higher level categories like "Landscapes", "Nature", etc. Adding the more specific ones just leads to requests for more and more specific categories. I'm not going to remove the existing categories that are too specific, but I don't think we'll be adding more like that, and certainly not any that are even more specific. There are a more than a thousand photos uploaded per day, and currently about 30 categories. A category that isn't going to get at least 10 photos per day in it isn't worth adding, and ideally it should be more than that. Some of the existing categories don't achieve this, but that isn't a precedent for a lot of small categories.

It wouldn't be bad to have a tagging or keyword feature, but the way categories are currently implemented in the database and presented in the user interface doesn't lend itself to a long list of very specific categories. And I don't think that people's critiquing/rating interests are that specific, or if they are, I'm not sure they should be. Indeed, as far as rating is concerned, the only category that gets much rating activity as a category is Nudes. I don't know how much people are using the categories to find photos for critiquing.