Photography speak

<p>From my past experience in the military, I noticed that terminology would pervade the conversations of my buddies and I, and the terms tended to spill over while talking with people outside of the military. Still does even though I've been out for 3 years now.<br>

Just wondering if anyone has the same issue with using photography specific terms while talking with non-photogs? I caught myself the other day. While driving I noticed a person on the sidewalk and I said to myself, "Her highlights are blown out." as she was standing in the sun.</p>

Ian Shalapata
ipsfoto.com | info@ipsfoto.com
Freelance Multimedia Journalist

<p>I know what you mean. I was at a wedding, knew of the photographer's work, and remarked that he is a "great shooter" in casual conversation. I got perplexed looks and had to add the tag "a good photographer".</p>

<p>Your comment to yourself was a simple observation of life that you described from a photographer's point of view. Mentally, you are in a photographer's state of mind. A great place to be to capture the images you want.</p>

<p>Keep thinking that way!</p>

<p>All profession jargons tend to spill over into other spheres. A couple of archaeologists at a conference hotel got very strange looks when one, in discussing radiocarbon dating, said that he "always had much better luck when he paid for his dates." I think the "Mothers of Twins" meeting persons were shocked. (I'm not <a href="http://www.nomotc.org/">kidding</a> )<br>

What kind of idiot would schedule an archaeologists' meeting and the Mother of Twins for the same time in the same hotel?</p>

<p>I've done this as well. I'm currently in the Military as a Photographer and find my self talking in the language with my buddies and at home. The other day I asked my wife if I could "shoot" her and she just looked at me. I then had to stop and say take a photo and she just laughed. It's funny how we can talk the language without even thinking about it.</p>