the most out of yourself. I still cannot consider myself an image

maker. In my views my portfolio (please do not count those images

posted here as the hole of it) is poor in style yet it seems to have

consistence. Everytime I go to a class to be shown images of great

photographer such as Cartier-Bresson, Steven Meisel, Avedon,

Testino, Kertesz, Sherman, Day, etc etc I look at the images and

think (sometimes) that is a clever image. I like the colours of it,

I like its composition, its balance and whatever the photographer

wanted to communicate was somewhat clear if not very.

Then you get a response. We as students are encouraged to make

comments. Most of the times is about the same things we hear over

and over again: composition, colours, texture, originality etc etc.

Some technical aspects in my view, at this point in our careers

(although very young) are not of much important concern, therefore

we should critizice what exactly made that image what it is and with

what intent. Lets have an example why Guy Bourdin became so famous.

he made images that where attached to his life experiences and were

very psychological. He made those pictures in times where things

like those could be hardly imagined as being fashion photographs but

he and Newton at the same time were "in Vogue". They would pay them

whateve the shitload of money to make the images for Conde Nast

publications as long as they showed the dresses and shoes, etc. Same

thing with David Lachapelle today.

A professor of mine also said to me that we should put as much as

ourselves, we as persons and individuals, into our images. This will

mark that style that everyone wants to see and will recognize as

you. Then the only things I can think of is several ideas of putting

things this and that way representing this and that differently in

such and such context. But then I imagine that among those little

issues about getting models and props and make up artists come up,

the main problem is knowing how to make the final image. It also

comes up that in this world, some ideas might just seem sick or

unpropiate. I am not talking about killing someone while having sex

or any other of these pseudo-fetish shit going around. So after so

much written and probably many of you would have stoped reading half

way into the thread, I ask. How can we achive to give the best of

ourseleves into our images? how can we communicated better or get a

better reaction from the public from the images we make? what is it

that the people like when they see our pictures or how can we

manipulate this, so called, taste?

I'd say, try to be honest in what you have to show to the "people". Manipulating taste results sooner or later in a diarrhea. If you get no reaction, it's something wrong with the images, and not with the people (unless your audience is a restricted circle interested in something different?). Also, if people are *supposed* to give a feedback, it's far too easy to resort, as you say, to comments about the composition, colours, tone and other standard points, without even trying to express his/her feelings about the image. By expressing a feeling i mean more than "Great" and "Sucks". I think the photo.net rating/commenting community is a great image of the homo picturewatcher from this point of view.

Perhaps it would help to take a step back and ask ourselves, "Why am I taking this picture and what is its purpose?" If we're honest, we'll admit we enjoy compliments and being regarded as a good, or even great, photographer. As such, we probably strive to garner praise for our efforts. Or, the more cerebral might have something they wish to express through their art without concern for the potential appreciation of their audience. I think many of us simply are saying, "Hey, isn't this interesting (or pretty)?"

Once we've decided exactly where we're coming from, it gets easier to know where we're headed. Chances are, there'll be different reasons behind each picture rather than one grand, overarching mission.

As for manipulating the tastes of the audience, I wonder if that's possible, or even desirable. If it could be accomplished, would our work be better because we'd somehow pressured folks into liking it?

Yes with experience comes self awareness and I would add the courage to really be yourself. How often do I read posts on this forum where people are striving to copy or emulate some so called famous photographer instead of just being themselves. If you like a subject whether it be a scene, a person, a thing or whatever then go for it. If other people like it then that's a bonus. If they don't then too bad. Unless you are a professional doing something for somebody elses ideas or wants, then have the courage to do what you yourself want no matter how others may think.

this is a very enjoyable thread.

I have been dealing lately with the problem of how to improve what I am doing with the camera, how to put my whole heart into my images. I don't shoot fashion, and I'm not a professional, so what I'm going to say may or may not be applicable to what Maximiliano is dealing with. What I've been thinking about is emotional distance--not keeping emotional distance. I think it is very common for us to become physically near our subject while keeping what's in our hearts at some distance. I think it is a little similar to knowing what you are trying to acheive with the photograph. I think that if we can really get back inside ourselves and look at the core of what moves us and carry through (courage to follow our urges), then greater things will happen.

By the way, this post was one of the few long posts that I have felt completely patient with reading all the way to the bottom. We need more stuff like this..serious ideas.

Thanks Maximiliano!

• 2 weeks later...

As I am not a photographer, but love photography, my reason for lugging a camera with me where I go is to because with a camera, I view the world diferently. I look for things that don't exist to the casual passerby, I want to find places that have not been visited for hundreds of years, I want to sit on a patch of dirt and look around me and see what is there. I want to watch the light change for eight hours over Metsada with Jordan in the background.

My nest step in my evolution as as photographer is, as one poster mentioned, is to go buy a Holga, as none will take me seriously, not even myself.