Photography Institute?

stuarthall

<p>Hey Everyone... </p>

<p>I've been looking for 'proper' education in photography... I can't take time off to attend college as I hold a full time job and I'm... well.. old(ish)!!</p>

<p>So, I've been looking at internet based or correspondence courses which offer some form of qualification that holds some weight as I'd fancy looking more into how one would run a business in photography or at the very least have something to find employment in photography, so a degree which holds some water to get a foot in the door would be useful.</p>

<p>I found an OU course which looked ineresting:</p>

<p>http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01T189</p>

<p>but seemed like it may be a little basic?</p>

<p>but I also found these guys:</p>

<p>http://www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk/index.cfm?content=home</p>

<p>It's more expensive but I just wondered if anyone had any experience with either or wondered if anyone held any views of either judging by their 'kudos'</p>

<p>Or can recommend similar?</p>

<p>Any insights will be of great help.</p>

<p>stu :)</p>

<br />

<p>Joseph, I'm pretty sure Stuart is in the UK.</p>

<p>Stuart, what exactly are your aims and objectives? 'Photography' is a broad subject. Are you intending to shoot weddings, portraits, sport? The respective skill sets and challenges can be very different. There is no one qualification which will grant you an easy way into any assignment - prospective employers (clients) will really only be interested in seeing a strong portfolio. If I were to consider the five most successful photographers I know, they are self-taught (over many years), highly committed, and very experienced. For somebody in your position I would recommend self-study, shooting as much as you can, and taking seminars which fit around your job. Gradually build up a strong body of (relevant) work and try to seek work as a photographer's assistant.</p>

<p>Hi Lindsay,</p>

<p>It was pretty much the idea of having the course there as incentive to get out and experience as much photography as possible under some guidance of 'people who know better', not so much the qualification. The qualification element was more so that I can see that the course I was doing is of merit rather than the qualification to be of merit to me. So I wanted something that an employer would see as "this guys got a ____, he's on the right path" kinda approach... if you see what I mean! But really it was a case of finding some reputable tuition to avoid the slow stumbling approach to photography that I currently find myself on :)</p>

<p>Hi Stuart</p>

<p>There are hundreds of courses out there, covering every genre, if you can tell me where you feel your aspirations/weaknesses lie then perhaps I can recommend something. Without more information it's impossible to point you in the right direction. Do you want to learn basic camera skills, portrait skills, wedding photography, post production, business? I must impress upon you that courses are not really seen as being qualifications, and will hold no weight with clients. A good strong portfolio, specific to your chosen field, is far more important. But on the subject of qualifications there are one or two with real credibility, such as the award schemes run by bodies such as the RPS, BIPP and SWPP. You have to be very competent though, before you can submit to the panel. But if you want letters after your name from a respected organisation, then that might be something to aim for.</p>

<p>Joining your local camera club can be a tremendous source of inspiration and will help to give you the incentive you mentioned.</p>

<p>You'll hear this a lot, but I'm afraid there are no short cuts to success. On the positive side, being 'oldish' has real advantages in this profession. </p>

<p>Hey there, if your going to get an education in photography you really need to be hands on with it and have instructors teach you in a physical location. Forget the online courses. Research a few schools in California such as Brooks and Art Institute in Pasadena. They are both known for photography but you will pay for it. I was accepted to Brooks years ago but decided against it for the reason that the rep or counselor working with me reminded me of a car salesmen and pressured the crap out of me. It was such a turn off. It was funny how she would tell me that I am ahead of everyone in the process but the next day I was so behind and had to get the money in. If these options don't work, attend professional photographer seminars and workshops. There are plenty of pros who dedicate their time to teaching this way. It will cost you less than attending a university. Either way this is a very big decision, you could always ask God what you should do. You would be surprised at the response you will get back.</p>

<p>Hey everyone, thanks for those...</p>

<p>As Lindsay stated I am in the Uk, but it seems that the idea of qualification is a little redundant as a portfolio of work seems to be most important. I must admit if I was hiring a photographer I couldn't give a monkey's what bits of paper they had if their portfolio wasn't up to much!</p>

<p>And Matthew I reckon the hands on approach with someone who knows what they're doing is most important than do it yourself correspondence. I did hire Tony Howell: www.tonyhowell.co.uk for a tuitional day and that was probably the best experience in terms of hand on advice and more so for getting inside a photographers head for an insights into all those 'unteachable' things like how do you even 'see' a photo to start with!</p>

<p>Lindsay mentioned the RPS, who have there headquarters really close to me, run seminar days so I think I'll look into those.</p>

<p>At the moment I'm discovering what I enjoy photographing most, and what I enjoy seeing most... and although I started with Landscape photography, I much prefer looking at 'people' photo's. Lindsay's website is very cool. Although I don't think I could go into weddings because I don't think I would want to be responsible for the pressure of having one chance to take photo's of someone's biggest day ! :D</p>

<p>I really like: http://elizabethyoung.com/index.html</p>

<p>I'd love to take portraits of people in a natural environment, Looking at Lindsay's 'Lifestyle' section of her website would be an ideal 'gig' for me I think!</p>

<p>So, like I said, thanks so far, any more info or tips anyone feels like throwing open would be very gratefully received.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p> </p>