Photographing military funerals

blknwhtfoto

I'm not trying to pursue any propaganda, or really show any view thats been taken so far. At this point i've seen no coverage, of military deaths, i want to show that aspect of my generation. I've seen too many friends go and not come home. I think this needs to be reported.

If, for example, you visit one of the national military cemeteries (like Arlington) and use a good telephoto lens, you should be able to photograph the service. It would not be in good taste to run about with a wide-angle lens and try to do your thing. Worst case is you may get a visit from a pi**ed-off uncle or brother who may not think before trying to do physical damage to your person or camera.

It would not hurt to check with the office beforehand to see if any restrictions are posted, too.

I had the duty of doing just what you are talking about while in the US Navy. Burial at sea often doesn't afford the families the oppertunity to be there and so it was my honor to bring the families there with photos.

To answer your question, do it for yourself, do it for the families but do not do it as a "documentory". I find that in poor taste. Honor those who have served as they have honored there country.

I went over to D-FW National Cemetery a while back to just photograph the grounds (not a funeral). Had one guy tell me, can't do that unless you're a family member. Meanwhile, lady at the visitor center had never heard that rule. So be aware that you may get run off by the cemetery itself if trying to shoot at a national cemetery.

I went to Arlington last month, people were told to stay away from any funeral ceremony. It seemed like common sense, but people need to be told what is, and is not respectful sometimes. I would hate to see camera restrictions, or an outright exclusion of photography in a place such as this, due to disrespectful photographers.

I seem to recall news stories recently of the American press being discouraged by the current administration from reporting or publishing images of the return of our fallen citizens, from the Iraqi invasion, back to the States.

While, on the one hand, I can appreciate the desire for a "free" (read: commercial) press....but I can also see the families feelings about privacy.

I just wished it were the families involved who were the ones to make the call concerning press coverage, rather than the policy-makers who sent our kids overseas to die.

As a "private", or "free-lance" (non-media connected) photographer, you may slip between the cracks of official policy and get your shots. But it would be better to make an honest dialog with some of the involved families, if a "documentary" is indeed your intention.

Don't set your sights too low. There's probably a great story out there. Just be honest about your intentions, and what risk you're willing to undertake to get the story.

I'm not sure what it is that you think people have missed about military funerals. When it comes to WWII veterans, the services are provided at a rate of approximately 1000 a day. If there is some implication that there is a coverup of casualties from Iraq, that's just plain silly. That would imply that families and the public are just having loved ones disappear into some ether and they haven't figured out what happened.

A military funeral, like any funeral, is often an intensely emotional process. Regardless of the legal issues that may surround viewing and photographing a public event, there is a level of dignity and respect that should be a part of the observance.

I suppose if you feel you must, then contacting a local National Cemetery might be appropriate. As to documentation? Perhaps what many people don't know is that a result of the massive downsizing of the armed forces during the Clinton administration and the concurrent aging of the veteran population, the availability of honor guards and buglers has been greatly curtailed and the services are often supported by volunteer organizations, veterans groups, taped bugle calls, etc. Perhaps showing the aging men and women taking the time and effort to honor their comrades could be important.

If you want to photograph a funeral you should contact the military's Media Relations Officer (MRO) or Public Affairs Officer. Sometimes the family will request privacy and you may be told where you can shoot from. If you choose not to go this route, you'll probably be asked to leave. So yes it's do-able, but I would advise following the proceedure. It the respectful thing to do.