Photographing a window display

lauray

I have to photograph several large window displays on a busy city street

tomorrow night. The reflections from buildings, cars, people are everywhere. I

have a polarizer on my camera but it doesn't help very much since I can't cross

polarize the lights coming from the city. I am looking for any advice to

eliminate/reduce the reflections.

My best idea so far is to bring some large black fabric to surround the window,

cut a hole for my lens and shoot through this. I have 2 rolls of 4' black velvet

that I should be able to rig together.

By the way, I plan to do this at night, figuring I would have the least amount

of glare/reflections and the streets would be quieter.

Has anyone tried to do this before? Any other ideas or suggestions on the best

way to implement this one?

Thanks!

You can place your lense right up against the window day or night. (A rubber hood or something is suggested to avoid damage to both glass surfaces). Of course wide angle up close ups are probably not compatible with your shoot but something to think about just in case.

Laura-- The easiest way to hang the material would be from a portable background stand kit. Savage and Photek market such kits (available through B&H, Ritz, and just about any good pro-grade photo store). It's just two light-stand-type vertical supports and a 10-foot crossbar that breaks down.

I've seen professionals do exactly what you are proposing. Often a simple piece of black background paper is used with a hole cut in it, supported from the aforementioned background stands, or the photographer can just wear black and stand in front of it. Keep in mind that you could very well end up needing a piece of black material twice as wide as the window you are trying to photograph, as the angle creates a "beamspread" after it bounces off of the glass.

When I was assisting (too many years ago to think about) I put together the technicals for such a project. Two assistants were required to help set things up and for crowd control.

Best of luck. -BC-

• 1 year later...

Similar project coming up...

I will be shooting large 2D abstract print work that are installed/displayed in a 7-10 strorefront windows.

The solutions stated above have come to mind, but would like to know if there are any other tips/solutions.

My thoughts are to shoot long exposures @ night & have been considering maybe HDR (to expose for the work & the evnironment). I have taken hand-held test shots (ISO:1250) to see what I was up against. (Will upload test shots 1st chance I get).

Equipment: D100, 12-24 f/4 DX (for an overview of the installed work in its surroundings), 50 f1.4 (was thinking to use it for close crop of window).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!