Photographing a Regatta Event

stevenseelig

I am looking for thoughts and suggestions as to issues and techniques for photographing a regatta

(competitive sailing event). I will be provided a powerboat and skipper to take pictures.

I will most likely be working with a D200 70-200 VR/2.8 lens with a D70 as a backup

Looking for someone who has actually done this sort of shoot.

Thanks

Steven

Steven, I did a couple local ones and some racing in Lake Erie. Take and ready both cameras, place a large towel inside a large plastic bag and wedge these in a corner where you can get at them with one hand, and you can close the top and grab one in each hand if need be.If you have to bring it on board stow it below. In one pocket your cards inside a baggie and the other a soft cloth for the drops on the lens, the ones for cleaning eyeglasses work great. You are so lucky to have a stink boat to shoot from (sorry motorboat). Pretend you have one hand to work with because you'll be holding on if its rough. Look at the chart as far as start finish and compare that with compass as to where to postion yourself to get the most of the sun, if you can feel the sun on the back of your neck your in the right spot. Ask yourself where am I and the sun going to be at the finish in relation to the winning boat?There's no time for playing, center weight and use the camera bracketing, 1/2 stop either way and you'll be good. You can set autobracket 3 shots and set to continous shooting, hit the shutter and you have 3 shots. White sails moving in and out of coulds are brutal on matrix, you can throw away the junk when you get back to the dock. Plot the course you can run beside them on the leeward side and get the crew with the sails behind them but the shot is when they turn and you can get crew on the foredeck and the helmsman at the wheel Do this by positioning youself at a bouy or turn if you have the wind and the sun at your back and they make the turn they almost stop as the boom swing to the other side you'll get the hull coming right at you, just give it a second till the sail fills, sorry can you tell I miss sailing. Post some images

• 2 weeks later...