Photographic travel insurance

alvinyap

<p>I'm based in UK, and am planning to visit Italy (that's the plan for now) for a few days. I've been reading stuff about pickpockets and theft especially in parts of Italy like Naples (may visit pompeii). Hence, I'm interested in getting travel insurance that deals with equipment loss, but I'm not sure how it works.</p>

<p>Do you pay for coverage over a year, or is it possible to just get coverage for say a week or a month? I'm looking for the later, but have not found anything on the web. Poor google skills me. Would like to know your experiences or links? Thanks!</p>

<p>Alvin</p>

<p>your travel agency is able to provide that for the time you go abroad. Mind you though they only cover up to a certain amount.<br>

Visiting Pompei is not a problem. Any major city has pickpockets and using some common sense will prevent a lot. Naples however is a bit notorious in that respect.<br>

I think as far as insurance is concerned there are two options that are far better. Firstly you could go for a insurance that will not only cover all losses but reimburse you for what you actually paid as in getting back the original purchase price. For the most part however that is quite expensive. Secondly there is the option to go for a continuous travel insurance. Over here most are very good and reasonably cheap while they offer a great service and prompt payment.</p>

<p>I'm in Canada and I have insurance on all of my gear. It covers my purchase price and has no deductable. It covers pretty well anything that happens to my stuff - stolen, dropped, etc. and is actually pretty cheap because I am not a "professional" photographer. It works out to about $10 for every $1000 in coverage. They just wanted receipts to copy for proof and get the serial numbers.</p>

<p>You can usually book a travel insurance, either through a travel agency, as Ton mentions (provided you use a such agency), or in case you buy your tickets yourself, many vendors will also offer an insurance alongside your tickets. You can usually get fairly cheap year round insurance. I used to have one, which would cover any travel world wide less than 30 days in duration for about 65 pounds (this was in Denmark). You can always get a Mastercard with travel insurance. It's fairly cheap, and it not only covers you, but also your wife/partner with whom you share an address. That's what I use now.</p>

<p>A search for travel insurance UK on Google, brings many useful results, though. Plenty of insurance offered :-)</p>