Photographers going green

<p>

Although not adding as many chemicals to the environment, including silver and

bleach, digital photography still leaves its mark on the earth via energy

consumption.

</p>

<p>

<cite>Popular Photography</cite> has an interesting article on <a

href="http://www.popphoto.com/americanphotofeatures/4541/thirteen-ways-to-be-a-greener-photographer.html">

¨Thirteen Ways to be a Greener Photographer¨</a>.

</p>

Some reasonable advice, but I suspect that there are lots and lots of things the average photographer could do in this regard in their "regular life" that would have a great deal more impact than unplugging their digital camera battery chargers. Every little helps though.

Probably one of the best ways for most of us to be greener would be to avoid unnecessary travel and take fewer unnecessary photographs.

For documenting the status of the environment, I am sure it is enough if researchers and professionals do it.

And of course, we should only buy the necessary equipment and not switch lenses and cameras every few years.

"For documenting the status of the environment, I am sure it is enough if researchers and professionals do it."

I think documenting the local environment is unlikely to be duplicating effort and a way to help others engage with their surroundings.

I recommend putting your computer on a power strip or unplugging vs worrying too much about digital cameras and chargers. Especially if you have an energy hungry CRT monitor.

Store your film in one energy star rated refridgerator/freezer instead of dedicating a second one to it. This could cut your electricity bill by 1/3.