Photo shooting menu bank issue

ilkka_nissila

I am trying to use the photo shooting menu banks in the following way.

A: this is what I use for landscape and similar subjects. I normally have it set to ISO 64, aperture priority or manual mode.

B: I use this for subjects that move slowly. Aperture priority, auto ISO, minimum shutter speed 1/400s.

C: Fast-moving subjects Aperture priority, auto ISO, minimum shutter speed 1/1600s.

The reason I use aperture priority is because it allows me to adjust exposure compensation via easy exposure compensation using the main command dial without having to press and hold the +/- button, which I don't find as quick or comfortable. The reason I go into settings banks is because when using auto ISO, the minimum shutter speed can only be set in the menu which is a time-consuming operation, and I need to be able to do it quickly.

I switch between photo shooting menu banks A/B/C by pressing and holding the record button and turning the main command dial.

Now here's the problem: each photo shooting menu bank has stored the directory where the files are to be stored. If I switch between B and C banks during a session where the directory reaches 999 files, a new directory is created. However, if I then switch to another photo shooting bank (between B and C usually), it creates another new directory and after this points the files created using B and C photo shooting banks are stored in different directories. This is problematic for me as I cannot then as easily browse the files in shooting order. The confusion continues when I edit the images as I'm using the camera-created directory names as subdirectories under the project name to minimize the chance that a photo with the same name is trying to be overwritten.

What I would like is that the directories for the photo shooting menu banks stay synchronized to the same directory name so that I don't end up with different directories just because I want to use a different minimum shutter speed for different shots.

If anyone has a workaround to this, I would be happy to hear about it. Thanks for your help.

I wonder if the File number sequence setting (Custom Setting Menu > Shooting/display > File number sequence) would help. Might setting this to On help your situation by continuing the current number sequence after switching folders? Probably not.

It does continue the numbering sequence. I just don't want it to put files into different folders when I switch between two photo shooting menu banks.

I just let Lightroom import the images from all folders on the card into one import folder. I don't have filename collisions because I move photos from the import folder into hierarchical dated folders after culling and editing.

• Like 1