Photo related "New Year's" resolutions for 2010...

joshroot

<p>Let's hear them folks. What are your 2010 New Years resolutions for photography? We here on photo.net don't care if you need to lose 10 lbs, you haven't cleaned out the garage, or your yarn stash has gotten long enough to wrap around the moon. It's all about photography on this website. But we as a community will happily share stories of success and failure a year from now at the end of 2010 (if we remember to look back and see what people thought they were going to get done).</p>

<p>Best resolution for 2010 gets a photo.net subscription to make sure that we all can see the results. If you already have a subscription, you can gift the prize onto someone else. Keep in mind though, best is defined by "whatever Josh thinks is nifty" and not by political correctness or overall grandeur. so I don't want to hear any rambling speeches about how you are going to help with "<a href="

everywhere, like, the iraq, like such as</a> ".</p>

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Here are mine:</p>

<p><strong>-Pick up where I left off with my "<a href="../columns/joshroot/filmtown">Filmtown</a> " articles</strong> <br /> Sometimes it's hard to focus on any one thing when running photo.net. There are just so many aspects of the site that need attention and so many different user groups wanting different things that sometimes individual projects get sidelined. But not only are the <a href="../columns/joshroot/filmtown">Filmtown</a> articles popular and well-received, they are really fun for me to do and write. I get to use funny different cameras and it really breaks me out of my photographic mold when I do so. Even if the images aren't amazing (using unfamiliar tools causes me to think too much about the tool and not about the image), I think overall it's good for my creativity.</p>

<p><strong>-Find my old slides and get the important ones scanned</strong> <br /> Multiple times in 2010 I have said to myself "Where is that image?" only to realize that it was a film image from a decade ago. Not only do I not have my film images digitized, they aren't really organized in any coherent way. I'd like to clear up the chaos and scan the most important ones.</p>

<p><strong>-Do more environmental portraiture</strong> <br /> If asked my photographic strength, I would say that I am good at images of <a href="../photo/10287316">people "doing" things</a> . I've always been good at getting in the middle of whatever was going on around me, be it wedding dance floors, skateboard contests, or what have you. But I would like to work on taking that same environment, and being able to do some more intimate portraiture. Friends, family, or a paid job, I often am very pleased with my candid work. But I would like to look back at my images in the future and see <a href="../photo/8529242">some portraits in there as well</a> , particularly of my friends/family.</p>

<p><strong>-Brewing in Whatcom County project</strong> <br /> To that end, I came up with a project early last year that would allow me a number of those portraiture opportunities by documenting the beer brewing world in my home county. We've got three micro breweries (two of a more than decent size) and a whole host of home brewers. But like many things, it got pushed to the sideline and I wasted <a href="../photo/9466023">what little headway</a> I had been able to make on it as far as connecting with <a href="../photo/9466112">the people involved</a> . This is going to be a difficult one for me with baby #2 coming along in March, but I am hoping I can set a more steady pace than I have worked in the past and be the tortoise rather than trying to be the hare.</p>

<p>I want to balance between digital and film in 2010. I am learning medium format and I want to start learning about 4x5 as well.<br>

A supporting resolution would be to go out and take more photos every day. Wake up early enough for photos on the way to work and go for walks after work to take photos in the evening.</p>

<p>Oh and be a more active member in the forums and give more critiques.</p>

<p><blockquote>Will "Shoot no film in 2010. I just sold my last film camera."</blockquote></p>

<p>It is so interesting while some people who have lots of experience with film are moving to Digital while others (like me) who have less experience are moving from digital to film.</p>

<p>It is always a good thing to explore new things to help open up the imagination.</p>

<p>- Print more of my photos for framing and hanging at home. Mostly they all just sit on my computer.<br>

- Start using a tripod (got one for Christmas).<br>

- Sign up for photo.net subscription. No, I really mean that! I promised myself I would sign up when I got a new job and had extra money. Well, I start work Monday. :)</p>

<ul>

<li>1 image every week</li>

<li>Finish my 10 portraits of women ( I am up to 5) with 3 more lined up. </li>

<li>Start my next portrait project "just jeans" at least 3 of 5 images done.</li>

<li>Complete my portrait retouching video course</li>

</ul>

<p>So that's one image a week and one portrait a month. Can do.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Shoot a new portfolio focusing on portraits, architecture and food. Launch my professional career *crosses fingers*<br>

Oh, and finish progressing my style, both for my commercial and personal work, and getting a workflow that blends the two.</p>

<p>Yep, I have a lot to do...</p>

<p>Photography is part of one of my resolutions for 2010: to not buy a car, a camera or a bike in 2010. I've bought way too many of all of these, and am going to focus on using the very nice ones I already have, until they need replacing (um, maybe I better just say for 2010.)</p>

<p>1_send Ton my monthly images in time ; )</p>

<p>2_write another article on retouching or else for Photo.net (if they let me)</p>

<p>3_get back my 3 film canister beside my name..man i just keep loosing them?! i take 2 weeks vacation BAM 1 gone, im out of the office during the holiday for around 6 days BAM another one gone... please Lord Root, let me keep my last one ; )</p>

<p>4_create my personal web site with my own images so people can see what i do fro photography other than retouching those amazing woman / man insane body 40hours a week for the past 10 years!</p>

<p>5_create all the Blurb photo 7x7 inch coffee table book i should have done for all the past travel i have been lucky to do across the globe.</p>

<p>6_keep learning spanish so when i travel in south america i can have a more decent discusion with the people i take picture of, and have a better integration and understanding of there culture.</p>

<p>7_and finally, loose 50pound so i can still be there in 2011 to talk about photography.. last year i had for 2009 a 0 debt resolution... lucky enough i manage to do it.. i should be able to get this 50 pound of me this year ; )..not that i really need it LOL</p>

<p>Broaden my subject matter, keep learning about techniqe, and figure out better post processing. I have the bare basic fundamentals after taking up photography eight months ago, but have so much to learn. These aren't just good intentions, they are necessities if I'm going to get any better...and I want to get better. Happy 2010 everyone!</p>

<p>Just three additional things for me apart from learning, shooting and practicing more:</p>

<ul>

<li>Get some studio-time and learn to shoot with organized light, flashes and strobes etc. </li>

<li>Get into printing some of my stuff</li>

<li>Do something about marketing myself actively with networking, a web-site, perhaps a photo-blog ...and oh yes! I must get some business card type things that mentions the word 'photographer' ~ Gulp!</li>

</ul>

<p>Happy New Year All!</p>

<p>Mine's easy. Start the Nikon Wednesday thread well before dawn every Wednesday morning. It's easy, because otherwise I'll have an angry mob (with very nice photos) at my door by lunch time. Actually, it really will be easy, because Jose's been such a steadfast keeper of the Wednesday flame, and that's pretty inspiring.<br /><br />The other six days of the week? More <em>prints</em>.</p>

<p>My resolutions or good intentions are:<br>

To learn the ability to "see" the photograph in whatever opportunity the day provides. <br>

To learn more of the post processing , Capture NX , and photoshop . It all can be so daunting.<br>

Learn more about lighting techniques<br>

Stop wanting more and more and more photo equipment </p>