Photo.Net slowing down occasionally

kari_oinonen

<p>Hello, I have got sometimes a situation where photo.net slows down.<br>

Then, if I look at the firefox address bar I see that I am viewing an address like<br>

photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/gkO0xxxstart=20. This seems to be ok.</p>

<p>But when i go to the address bar to edit it I see:<br>

wysiwyg://1280/http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/gkO0xxxstart=20.</p>

<p>Is this wysiwyg something "normal"? The number in wysiwyg:// changes - can be like 1131.</p>

<p>Any advise?<br>

My location is in Europe, Finland.</p>

<p>If it only slows down or freezes intermittently, you're doing better than many of us.</p>

<p>You will notice the large number of double posts, etc., reflecting that something is wrong somewhere.</p>

<p>Much of the time it does work just fine, but then you will try to upload a comment or picture and it just "waits" and waits. If you keep punching the load button, sometimes you can get four or five duplicate posts.<br>

I guess if it's worth saying once, ....</p>

<p>Claims have been made that it's being addressed, but it's been going on long enough that the only proof will be in the pudding, and the pudding isn't close to gelling yet. The site's technicals and its content continue to deteriorate, as does participation. Shame, really.</p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Thank you,<br>

I do have noticed up to four repeated postings by several people who have been leaning on the send putton .-)<br>

Several years ago I was searching answers in the photo.net and I once got an "kind" message telling that " The address www.photo.net is for sale". The address bar was showing photo.net. I did not buy.<br>

Asked for an explanation from - at that time free nikongear, and I was told "dns hack somewhere along the path -probably."<br>

"wysiwyg...." I have seen only with photo.net and only when it gets slow. More strange: I can clear the delay by erasing the address line and typing the original fresh photo.net as an address.<br>

So: I am inclined to think that there is some extra going on with this wysiwyg. Any wild guesses?</p>

<p>Versions: newest or second newest on most.<br>

Often not allways, I turn extensions in Firefox off. They are up to date ( one week old info).<br>

The previous example that I wrote shows that the page content can be hijacked.<br>

The url is strange - that is why I am asking info.<br>

Firefox 20.0 address page shows proper address, but the address history - when trying to edit - suggests for an address like wysiwyg://1131/http://www.photo.net/.....<br>

So I am just guessing that what I am seeing has something to do with that/this editor I am using right now. - This WYSIWYG editor related to input to a thread http://www.photo.net/......? Right.<br>

Interpretation: status normal, no worries - and do not lean on the send-button :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Often not allways, I turn extensions in Firefox off."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you're using extensions in Firefox, all bets are off. Same thing if you do any custom modifications to Firefox, use Greasemonkey, etc. There's no practical way to ensure compatibility. Virtually all Firefox extensions, add-ons, etc., are developed by independent programmers who may not be aware of, or cooperate with, ever-changing standards for web browser compatibility.</p>

<p>Like many media oriented websites photo.net uses a dozen or more scripts on every page. Every privacy-oriented Firefox extension I've tried interferes to some extent with any website that relies heavily on scripts for media, and for data tracking to ensure commercial viability. Even if you try to selectively allow permissions for certain scripts to ensure correct functioning on media-heavy sites, it's still likely some functions are being interfered with. On my main computer I've completely disabled extensions that block scripts and ads, Do Not Track, Ghostery, etc., etc., for photo.net because these cause more problems than they solve on photo.net. I use those extensions only on untrusted sites.</p>

<p>Try Chrome without any add-ons, extensions or modifications. If you experience no problems with Chrome on photo.net, you'll know it's probably the Firefox extensions causing problems.</p>

<p>Sorry, my mistake on extensions.<br>

I used a term <em>extension</em> when I should have bee using a term <em>plug-in</em>. (Lost in translation:-)<br>

These plugins come from Oracle-java, Microsoft-silverlight, Google-google earth. And I do not totally trust even these.</p>

<p>One possible cause for photo.net slowdowns is those dosens of ad services that are collecting info from everywhere and feed advertisements to the sidebars and subheader area.<br>

When a new page is loading I can see a status row telling me that ....waiting for an answer from: follows a long list of ad service names -one at a time.<br>

Maybe the advertisement management section has become too complex. If one of the many services and their corresponding subservices are hanging, then the photo.net page hangs too.<br>

Just speculating.</p>

<p> </p>