Photo locations close to Ausitn, TX

vuyisich

Check out Enchanted Rock- not sure how far from Austin- but worth a drive over.

Look up the state parks in the area- seems like there's some good scenic rivers, pools, waterfalls, etc. within driving distance.

State capital building is there, other typical big-city and capital city type stuff.

Hamilton Pool Nature Preserve (30 miles from Austin).

This is a pretty good summary of the rest of the nature sites:

http://www.texasoutside.com/austinparks.htm

A radius of 3 hours driving is very large, you could go to Houston, Galveston, San Antonio (only 80 miles), and Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Bring sunblock, SPF 40+. I'm not kidding. Texas sun in July is murder.

Momo,

It's been many years ago but I used to go to school. I would second Enchanted Rock. A really lovely place is Pedernales Falls. In addition to the 'falls' this is an excellent place to look for the Golden Cheeked Warbler and Black eyed Viro. Remember most wildlife in this area will be out early so if you want to see armadillio, coyotes, etc think early.

Other places I enjoy.

The San Marcos River-it is full of endemic plants (Texas Wild Rice)and animals (San Marcos Darter, San Marcos Gambusa, very large endemic crayfish, Guadaloupe Bass, Texas Slider Turtles (to name a few)and numerous non-endemics Catfish, gar fish, large snails, watersnakes) even thought it flows through the town of San Marcos. Really a lovely river like swimming in an aquarium. If you have an underwater camera, snorkeling down the river might be productive.

Ink Lakes State Park. As the water dries up you will find pools of large fish. This was also one of the few non-costal areas where I could regularly find Painted Buntings. It is going to be pretty dry by that time of year so bring lots of water.

There are lots of interesting landscapes too, ie Devil's Backbone west of San Marcos.

I can't help much with specific recommendations for nature locations, but as a native and life-long Texan I can advise you to follow Douglas and Zane's advice. Use plenty of sunscreen, bring plenty of water, and dress for the heat and humidity.

Bluebell homemade vanilla ice cream is our state's way of atoning for the brutal heat. Be sure to eat plenty of it to cool off after your photo excursions.

On Enchanted Rock, everyone goes up to see the "Rock", ie, walk up on the big dome part. The "nature" part is the cactuses. If it's been rainy, watch the little pools up on the rock. Otherwise, look around in the area- like the "rock" to the left of the main dome, and the rock beyond that- some neat cactuses in the area, and fewer people.

And yes, expect it to be very hot- typically 100 F or so in the summer time. Take lots of water, sweat towel if you need it.

I'll be in Austin for a short stop(less than a day) before heading home. I'd really like to take some night shots of downtown skyline. Anyone has suggestion for a good location? Usually I pass Austin as fast as I can becuase of traffic, and stop at Round Rock if I go north and San Marcos if I go south. Thanks.