Photo Fundraising ideas for high school basketball team

chris_donovan1

<p>Hi I just got back from a meeting with high school basketball team parents. The main coach was saying how they need uniforms and travel bags for the 36 kids in the program. They do a lot of fundrising thru food vending. If I could get a good idea I would contribute my photography. the boys are 14 to 18 of age. I find this age group HATE their photo being taken for anything. Is their any cool ideas for this??</p><div>00VCUu-198795784.thumb.jpg.a96191c6f7969d0cd2e6e1602e5cd028.jpg</div>

<p>Chris -</p>

<p>You're right - 14-18 boys hate having their photos taken - even for senior photos - which most of them (hopefully) need.</p>

<p>Action shots are a tough sell at that age too...unless the kid is the next MJ, Labron, or KG... Parents tend to have enough of the kid from when they were little - so you're really got to get that special shot. </p>

<p>The best suggestion is from a post a few down- Courtney was asking for posing tips for T/I shots... Take a look at her portfollio and maybe do something in that old school - sweat beads on the foreheads, harsh monolight / bw style. The traditional T/I shots won't sell.</p>

<p>Maybe do a calendar or a poster of the team too.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I have been shooting high school sports for 6 years now and all the kids I shoot love having their photo taken, especially action shots. Partly because I post the shots on my web site www.mccollphoto.com<br>

Also because 2 local newspapers publish virtually every shot I send them.<br>

As for fund raising I get asked constantly by parents and players (and cheerleaders for that matter) for photos. I hand out my business card, direct them to my site and ask them to call and make an appointment with me to decide which photos to print for them. I cover my costs and give the profits to the teams (the newspaper pays me for the shots as well). Understand, we're not talking a major newspaper like the New York Times, we're talking local tabloid format papers that are published weekly.<br>

I regularly have parents by 2 or 3 8 X 10s a couple of 5 X 7s and I currently have an order for a book (which I will create on my MAC)<br>

I do not make my living at photography, I have what I call my money job (rather boring and not related to photography) and my fun job, making a few bucks doing what I love... taking pictures.<br>

I have a small office at home where I can receive parents and they can pick the shots they want and I print them the following day or so. When they hear that you are supporting school sports, they are even more eager to buy prints.<br>

Check out my site www.mccollphoto.com</p>

<p>Cheers, Dave.</p>