Photo book publishers

<p>I'm trying to find a list of photo book publishers - those that specialize with photography, not general publishers that happen to do photo books. The Photographer's Market has only a few of these listed; and almost none of them work for my subject specialty - vintage automobiles. I'm looking for a few more. I know about the self-publishing route, but I have neither the cash nor the marketing savvy to go that route. Every time I try the internet on this, it's just one link to another that does not specifically target what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out here?<br>

Thanks!<br>

Matt</p>

<p>Your best bet is publishers of books with photos of cars. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3ACars%20Coffee%20table%20books&page=1">This list </a>is probably a good start.</p>

<p>You should be aware that the photo book market is difficult these days. Even books by famous photographers get remaindered fairly quickly. For unknown photographers, there can be upfront costs that are going to be difficult to recoup. If you're not getting published in magazines that appeal to the market, then it might be better to start by submitting photos and getting published for a while first.</p>

<p>Print-on-demand has very low up-front costs, so you only have to worry about the marketing.</p>

<p>And what about digital publishing? Photographs looks great on iPad and cost of digital self publishing are marginal. You may use digital books to build up your audience and maybe, in the future, it would help you to find a publisher for a paper book.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you want to sell a book with your photos of vintage cars, then I don't think you should be looking for a publisher who specializes in photo books. That's way too broad. You need to be looking for a publisher that specializes in books about vintage cars. That should be easy enough to find -- you presumably have several such books sitting at home and you just need to see who the publishers are. Vintage car magazines may also publish car books I presume. Ordinarily I would advise against self publishing. It's very difficult to get a self published book into bookstores. But with cars you have a niche market where you can sell directly, either through ads in car magazines/web sites and by going to car shows and selling on-site or handing out flyers for your book. If you want to make money off car photos, my instinct would be to work the car shows and find owners who are willing to pay for a professional "portrait" of their car. These guys are all very proud of their cars and the work that has gone into them. After tens of thousands of dollars on parts and labor, what's another $500 for a wall portait of their "baby"?</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I have an idea for you, and it is something I am doing this fall. I decided to create a series of books named I Spy ~ Something goes here for the name. I photographed from the highway driving by a photograph of the side of a building with female's eyes. It dawned on me that I wanted to create a book series named I spy perfect for me as a photographer great name for the series. So I thought I can pay the up front costs of having books created with a publisher or I can do the whole thing on my own. <br /><br />There are several places like Adoramapix that will let you create your own books. I thought good I'll use them the prices are fair and I can take my project to Kickstarter.com and build the project myself. If you like fun projects such as making your owe book and doing it on your own you can build a kickstarter project for what ever sum of money that can fund the project after your donations are met. <br /><br />Just an idea you might want to look into!</p>