photo black or matte black

<p>i print using my epson 3800. i am just reading up on selecting photo black or matte black for prints.<br>

slightly confused. </p>

<p>1) do i only make those selections when printing B&W prints or does it apply for colour prints as well?<br>

2) where exactly do i go to select this option? In photoshop ? Or the Print box? I cant seem to find it.<br>

3) do i select matte black for matte paper and photo black when using glossy paper?</p>

<p>thanks a million</p>

<p>Megan,</p>

<p>The reason for all this is that the Matte Black ink will not stick to Glossy photo papers. It just pools and runs off or rubs off.</p>

<p>The Photo Ink will work on matte or plain papers, but will look pale because the Matte Black ink is darker than Photo paper ink.</p>

<p>If you are just printing on plain paper some text, and you usually use photo ink on glossy paper for photography, you might just keep telling the printer to use the photo inks on the plain paper to save wasting ink on switching black inks.</p>

<p>Either ink will stick to any (inkjet) paper. Otherwise you'd see photo and matte versions of all the colors.</p>

<p>The reason there are two inks is to better match the surface reflectance of the paper in the darkest portions. Use the matte ink only for matte surfaced papers, including "watercolor" and other fine art papers. Use photo ink on nearly everything else, including glossy, semi-gloss and luster surfaces. Not sure? If you can see a specular reflection even dimly, use photo ink.</p>

<p>You always get variations in surface reflectance in an inkjet print, which follow details in the image. This is sometimes confused with bronzing, which is more correctly used to describe areas in which too much ink is applied to be absorbed, drying on the surface with a metallic bronze-colored appearance. If you want a uniform appearance, use a photographic process or a dye-sub printer, or display the inkjet print under glass.</p>

<p>Look at the data sheet for the paper you are using, it should be in the box, or go to the paper manufacturer's website and look it up. I also use a 3800 and mostly non-Epson papers. Some papers should go in the rear slot, usually "fine art" matte papers, such as the Hahnemuhle Rag and Bamboo. Some matte papers like the Epson Matte can go in the regular slot. Some, usually glossy, such as the Harman Gloss or Epson luster, can go in the regular slot. The Hahnemuhle matte papers use the setting for Velvet Fine Art, the Harman Gloss uses the setting for Premium Gloss. If you set the paper correctly, the printer will set the correct ink. It's not as intuitive as it could be though. Don is correct, try to stick with one paper, matte or gloss, for a while. Frequent switching uses valuable ink.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Eric</p>