Phone Phriday February 4, 2022

luis triguez

As a mostly 'people photographer', I really do like this photo! This is not a thread for critiques but I'll send you a PM.

Thank you Mike… a few years ago it was a community, “women's day”, event, that for the focal length, my phone was a better capture. I had a 70-200 on my camera at the time. I like to capture the shots that are most unique also. I thought this fit that and who knew then that I’d discover the phone phriday forum.

• Like 2

RR, how are you finding the ultra wide lens on the 13 Pro Max. I, personally, can’t get the hang of it. I wish it wasn’t so wide although I am aware it doubles up as a macro lens.

It's OK but honestly, I'm not a huge fan of ultra wide lenses. I thin about the only thing they're good for is landscapes, but then everything seems so far away- I feel like detail is lost?

here’s one I shot of our icy Susquehanna River after a rain when the river rose and the ice heaved and broke - and I cropped it a bit.

ooo- careful, large file

28A92542-63A5-4BA2-97FF-69BFE022FE33.thumb.jpeg.94f76111824b08875e80bf8a787b1c89.jpeg

• Like 3

Here’s another ultra wide, also cropped a bit. For the occasional landscape maybe but I’ll have to experiment with it. Seems to me that if the camera (or phone in this case) is not dead level and plumb and absolutely straight on to the subject, there’s too much distortion.

Edit: quite a lot of blurring here too, now I look at it. Maybe b/c of a combination of the crop and my choosing a smaller file size (medium size here)???

6B70D7C6-BBC3-4BB9-90BC-42A529FA2174.jpeg.bb69cf26de499a627672a4f0533b123d.jpeg

• Like 1

OK so here’s another that’s pretty wide but not ultra wide. I reverted it back to as shot and the detail (on my phone at least) is decent of zoomed in. It’s from the series I already posted so apologies for the redundancy.

I fear the shots are losing something in being compressed for the site?

Warning: Posting the “actual size” version here so click on it knowing it’s quite large

F014830F-BBCC-4AA5-BD30-169B5F32CD9A.thumb.jpeg.06878844533ed8b8305ad1bc17dff9cd.jpeg

• Like 3

OK so sorry for the large files here. I'm learning about this phone and the camera, probably won't ever know al there is to know after all it's a PHONE LOL

SO that last shot is ultra wide after all at 17mm,

Every image so far that I've checked the EXIF data, the aperture has been f1.x. I'd love to know how to change that or to operate the settings manually.

Also I see the camera was auto-set to "rich contrast"- so I changed it to "standard". I believe- but don't know scientifically for certain, that filters cronk it down and you lose quality or pixels? Or something- like the filters also compress the image a bit and reduce the quality. But I'm totally guessing, although the cronked photos might equal smaller file sizes equaling less storage space required?

I was mucking about a bit in the camera and found settings for night shot, plus ratios for 4:3, square, & 16:9. so at the top of the screen in "camera" in the center is a small arrow (up) I touched it and the menu appeared below the screen, and that where the limited settings are (sorry if you know this already I'm discovering it now).

I'm wondering if there's a sub menu somewhere or more detailed settings where we can choose aperture, speed, etc? Or of that would all have to happen in an app? I mean let's face it we are being sold this fabulous camera and the adverts are showing us these amazing shots- sometimes massive, seen on the sides of buildings or whatever... there's gotta be a way, right?

Alright, off to the internet I go to search about a bit. Oh wait- I'm already here! Maybe I'll begin a new thread in "Phone & Mobile" and we can talk a bout this stuff without hogging up the photo thread.

See ya :cool:

I really like the first (very much) and third shots. You seemed to have managed distortion (curvature) quite well which is something I am new to.

Here’s an example of the problem I am having.

[ATTACH=full]1417045[/ATTACH]

I’ve binned loads like this.

mmmm.... loads of foreground garbage going on there, eh? Otherwise I'm not seeing too much distortion on say the buildings... please tell me what you dont like about this?

yeah, wide lenses are problematic IMO... I really think the camera has to be absolutely perfectly dead set or everything goes to crap.

so one thing I'm finding after just a fast look around is all these pre-sets. like "lens correction" (for the ultra wide?)

Turn Lens Correction off and on

On iPhone 12 models and later, the Lens Correction setting adjusts photos taken with the front camera or Ultra Wide camera for more natural-looking results.

Lens Correction is on by default. To turn off Lens Correction, go to Settings 492fec5aff74dbdef9b526177c3804b4.png > Camera, then turn off Lens Correction.

Halide Mark II: Pro. Camera. Action.

take a look at this- supposedly The BEST... still no aperture control tho it has everything else? (seemingly)

I wonder how big their RAW files are?

Oh and they're not talking about what it costs... one of the best things is they dont sell you out- it's touted was being 100% private. Reviews reveal they want you to buy a subscription... not my ideal but one would probably always have the latest version in going that route, rather than purchase a versos of it and never getting -or having to buy upgrades?

Hmmm- do we know the phones have a variable aperture? As a guy admittedly way behind the state of the art (iPhone 5C, then 6S), I wonder if they do -- nano-mechanics?! I have at least one P&S camera that I notice tends toward wider apertures than I would pick when it's in program mode. But it at least does go smaller in manual or AP mode.

In Ludmilla's photo, I wonder if the in the curve of the dangling comm cables adds some optical illusion to the mix. Anyway, I too found nothing that obvious leaped out at me.

(Still think there should be a law that any device claimed to be a "camera" should have its lens in the central ninth of the front panel area! Guess I'm just old! :confused:)

• Like 2

I was wondering if the phone’s preset lens correction might cause some unwarranted distortion? I think I’ll shoot some ultra-wides with and without it turned on just for comparison.

I agree, Dave- I could not see anything egregious in her photo myself, but admittedly don’t have a very well educated eye for such things.

• Like 1