Has anyone taken one of the courses offered by the "Perfect Picture School of

Photography"? Bryan Peterson, among others, are offering varying courses which

I feel I would benefit from being new to photography. I have read books

(Peterson's and Shaw's) and articles online, taken lots of photos, and tried

learning on my own but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. I know practice,

practice, practice is also a key, but I'm getting frustrated with my lack of

knowledge and understanding.

The classes offered in my area are those teaching basic camera functions. I

have two dvd's that do that. I need more understanding and application help.

At this time I use a 400D w/100mm f/2.8 macro, 70-200 f/4L IS USM, and 17-85

f/4-5.6 IS USM lenses.

Can anyone give some advice on the "Perfect Picture School" please.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

I don't know, but I looked it up, and wow, it looks like they have some great classes! Another good class for general photography is at www.ed2go.com Secrets of Photography. A bit cheaper. One thing I wasn't sure about whether you submit your pictures on a bulletin board for the whole class to see (that's how we did it in ed2go or whether it is just sent to the instructor.

(I can see my bank account going down, down, down....again.......)

Yes, it is expensive, so I thought I would ask first to hopefully have some insight. But, the instructors are good, qualified photographers. $50 per week; I pay that for my daughters bass lessons, so I suppose I should consider this a good investment also. Hmm! I have only a couple more days to decide. Hopefully, someone will have taken a course or two and will let us know.

I did write them (waiting for a reply), about whether it is just a lessons sent, and someone looks at your photos, or if it is a classroom thing with a bulletin board where everyone asks questions and can make comments on each other's stuff. If it is only being sent some lessons, I think you can get the information elsewhere for cheaper.

Nancy, I just wrote them back again. No answer from the first email the other day. I am very interested in a few of the classes, but well, they do start tomorrow, so time is running out. I am taking the NYIP Pro course, but right now am 'stuck' because I can't get anyone to help or pose for portraits that I need, so I want to take a break, and take a course in things I am really interested in.

Debbie, thank you for your kind help. I still haven't made up my mind if I will go ahead and take a course or two or not. I am so new to photography that I can use all of the courses offered. I had always just used the auto settings because the aperature and shutter settings were intimadating. I really want to learn the right way.

Where do you live, Debbie? I'm guessing Wisconsin.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after this discussion, I had gone and looked at the courses, and signed up for one :) It's good. One week later have learned alot. I am also one of those that likes to see other people's pictures and can learn from things said, and also bulletin boards (probably why I am on here!).

Debbie

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just got done taking Brian Peterson's Understanding Exposure II. Previously I had read his book "Understanding Exposure". I really needed a class to get myself motivated to take pictures again. I'm newish to photography with only 2 years of taking OK photos.

The classes are sent to you via an e-mail link. You log onto their site and read what the instructor has posted. There is a spot to ask the instructor questions and to post general questions to the group. The instrurctor gets first pass at providing feedback about your photo uploads (usually 3 different pics). Then the students can post critics as well. It is a great concept, but you really have to be self motivated and willing to sit infront of the computer for a larger than expected length of time.

I did it once and only participated minimally. I could have gotten a lot more from it, but I was on the road 3 of the 4 weeks. I'm going to sign up for 1 more class. I believe they are very good, but you should have a high level of committment before signin up.

• 5 months later...