Pentax 6x7 dependability

kymtman

I have several medium format cameras, but I would like one without a removable

back. I have been looking at Pentax 67 II or a Mamiya 7. I am looking for some

advise on this matter if you guys would be so kind, it would be greatly

appreciated. Thanks in advance. If anyone had a good one to trade, I have a

Leica M3 outfit can be seen here.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=628407

I recently bought ( cheaply ) into the Pentax 67 line. WOW is all I can say. 400 speed film and easy street to beautiful 16x20 inch prints.<p>I studied the <a href="http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/p67ss.htm">Pentax 67 Lens lines here</a></p> And also <a href="http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.pentax-fan.jp/camera67.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpentax%2B6x7%2Blens%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_ja%26rls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2005-10,GGLD:en%26sa%3DN%26as_qdr%3Dall">here...</a><p>

AH

I can only offer that my Father in law owned one and he was into photography since the 50's. Had his own darkroom and half a dozen Pentax cameras from 35mm to the medium format. Took 10's of thousands of photographs both personally and professionally and never sent the 2 6x7's he owned to service once, other than a lube and cleaning job. One of the bodies even climbed Mount McKinley with him to about 12,000 feet without an issue. So I would submit a vote for the quality of the Pentax 6x7 and suggest you should have years of trouble free service.

Some of the points about each system

Pentax 67-inexpensive (unbelieveably now), since it is an SLR you can actually view through the lens your image, important for polarizers, ND gradient filters so *generally* better for landscapes. Heavy. A vast array of lenses, other accessories. Sounds like a canon when it goes off. Debatable point, but I'm personally in the camp of those who do not feel the 67 is a good hand-holdable camera. Slow sync speed. With adaptors lenses can be used on Pentax 35mm and Pentax 645 as backup, including their digital bodies.

Mamiya 7 TLR. Lightweight, same weight as some 35mm SLRs, very hand-holdable. Limited expensive lens selection. No macro lenses, no telephotolenses, I believe lacks fast lenses (?) lacks many accesories. Tricky to use polarizer, ND gradient filters. Whisper quiet, more advanced flash options (?)

Both have excellent optics. I debated the same points and settled on the 67 (pre-II version). I can say I like the camera, but the weight does generally prevent me from using it more causally.

I have a P67II and love it but it depends on what you want it for. I use it as a portable landscape camera now and it suits that job well. For street shooting, the M7II will be a much better camera. Since you have a M3, I assume you are into some sort of street type shooting? i.e. handheld and not all really carefully calculated? If that is so, then the Mamiya is the best choice. Yes, the P67II is a usable camera for handheld pictures but its not easy and it will not produce results as good as the Mamiya.

For landscape and other more carefully thought out subjects, the P67 is the better. The flash capability is poor but its an SLR so you see roughly what you get and the accessories available are more plentiful.

For absolute quality, I would guess the Mamiya has the edge since it has some of the best glass in MF. I don't have a M7II so I can't compare though.

Sorry I should have been more clear. He started shooting with a Spotmatic, then a K1000 and an LX and bought the first of 2 6x7 bodies in the 1980's. Doug, I agree with the weight. I used his gear a few times when we went out shooting together. I'd use a monopod or tripod for most stuff. It does get heavy on the arms after a while unless your built like "Arnold". I looked at the Ebay prices tonight and these cameras are going for pennies on the dollar now. I don't recall exactly but I'm sure he paid over $1000 just for one of the bodies back in the day. Looks like you can get one now with a lens for under $500.00

I own the Pentax 6x7 and love it to death... It is built like a tank but it weighs about the same. It was handed down from my mother and I/we never had one issue in 20 years of relatively consistant use. Just make sure you get the body with the mirror lock up (MLU). This was produced to minimize shutter shake on exposure and by many accounts was needed improvement. If you don't mind the weight, this is a great camera that can be had very cheaply compared to other MF systems.

-Jeff