Pennsylvania backcountry hiking - do I need caution for the snakes coming out of hibernation?

lahuasteca

I'm in South Texas and know all about dealing with rattlesnakes - just common sense - have seen a lot, but no problems. Now I'm headed to Pennsylvania tomorrow (4/26/17), and will be hiking in both Ohiopyle and Forbes State Forest. Definitely want to photograph Jonathan Run Falls and Cole Run Falls. One would think that up North, stepping on venomous reptiles shouldn't be a problem. But it's warming up in the north, should be in the 80's, enough to bring the timber rattles and copperheads out of their hibernation dens. Just how much concern/caution should be necessary? I'll be taking a hiking stick, but not a curved snake stick.

A bigger issue than snakes is ticks which have Lyme, Rocky Mounted Spotted Fever, and other dangerous tick borne diseases. Pennsylvania's woods are prime areas for these diseases. Make sure you spray your clothes with Permethrin or DEET. It's going to be very bad this year because its been a pretty warm winter. Check some Google sites for ticks and how to protect yourself and your family. I've hiked in PA, NY and other places and never saw a rattler but have seen and been bitten by many ticks, some infected with the disease.

I live in PA. June is breeding season for timber rattlers around here. I've seen them more in that month than all others combined. It's always good to keep an eye out because they are very well camouflaged in the leaf litter. You'll more likely need to be aware of northern water snakes. They are not poisonous, but are very aggressive and they will bite. As mentioned above, ticks are the bigger problem. Use all precautions you can. The good news is that chiggers and fire ants don't live here. Have a great time.

Generally, snakes do not want to be near you and will get out of your way. However you must avoid stepping on a nest or cornering one. Over-the-calf boots are your friend.

I live in Québec province of Canada. we have no native venomous snakes. Our biggest danger is ticks with lyme disease in the south. However, climate warming is expected to bring in venomous species from the U.S. At this time, there are no plans for a border wall. The big danger are moose in rut that sometimes come into suburban neighbourhoods.

I grew up in North Carolina, where there are rattle snakes, copper heads, water moccasins, coral snakes, black widow spiders, brown fiddler spiders, ticks, alligators, wild cats, and other forest friends. I lived there for 35 years, spent a lot of times in the wild and never had any problems and never knew anyone else who had been attacked.