PB-E1 and BP-E1 Battery Questions used on EOS3

timwitt

<p>Is there an alkaline battery magazine for the <strong>PB</strong>-E1?<br>

If so, is it an 8 cell holder and what is the part/model number?<br>

What is the part/model number for the alkaline battery magazine for the <strong>BP</strong>-E1?<br>

Is it a 4 cell holder?<br>

Has anyone replaced the NiCds with NiMH in the rechargeable <strong>PB</strong>-E1 pack?<br>

If so, what do you use to charge it?<br>

Has anyone modified the Canon NiCd charger for the <strong>PB</strong>-E1 to charge NiMH?<br>

Yes, I have searched, unsatisfied with results.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is there an alkaline battery magazine for the <strong>PB</strong>-E1?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, I used one for many years with a 1N. It holds 8 AA lithium or alkaline batteries. I sold it in 1998 when I bought an EOS 3 and PB-E2. The battery mag for the PB-E2 is called the BM-E2. I only recall because I recently sold it and had to write a damn description. I'm guessing the mag for the older PB-E1 is called the BM-E1. Haven't a clue about part numbers but model numbers should be good enough.<br /> You can easily find this information in the film era EOS System guides and in the 1N manual. Some are still available as PDFs on European and Asian Canon sites, but not at Canon USA.</p>

<p>Here's a link to ancient EOS PDF manuals (including the 1N):</p>

<p>http://www3.canon.de/pro/bda/fot/eos/</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>When I initially read this thread . . . "EOS 3, PB-E1 & BP-E1" I was a little confused! (o.k., it don't take much!) I use an EOS3 and the "PB & BP-E1" just didn't sound right, so I dug out my EOS3's manual and my <strong>"PB-E2."</strong><br>

Ah, . . . now I see the PB-E1 was developed for the EOS1 and EOS1N but can be used on the EOS3, and the BP-E1 housed a 2CR5 lithium while the battery magazine holds four AA alkaline's.<br>

"As long as I can keep the "PB's & BP's" straight, we'll be o.k.!<br>

Tim,<br>

If you don't have any luck finding the stuff you need for the "E1" booster and battery pack and have to resort to the "E2" setup, which I think will be easier to find! Here's some info that may help. <em>Especially in the </em><strong>Charger</strong><em> cost and availability.</em></p>

<p>The setup for my EOS3 is;<br>

Power Drive Booster PB-E2<br>

<em>I also have the Battery Magazine (BM E-2) it holds eight AA alkaline, Ni-Cd, or lithium batteries.</em><br>

Ni-MH Battery Pack NP-E2<br>

When I bought my EOS3 used from a member here on PN, he kept the Ni-MH Charger, NC-E2.</p>

<p>I definately went into "sticker shock" when I checked to purchase a new Canon charger!<br>

So, through PN here I learned about a company called Thomas Distributing-Battery Supply and the "Universal Charger" they were selling manufactured by Maha Energy Corp, 545 CW. Lambert Rd. Brea, CA 92821 the charger is a model MH-C 777 Plus.<br>

I've had this charger now for about 5 years now with no problems. It's a battery analyzer, which will discharge the battery before recharging, etc., etc..</p>

<p>It looks like Thomas Distributing is still around, I did a search and came up with this website <a href="http://www.thomasdistributing.com">http://www.thomasdistributing.com</a><br>

It may be worth a look to see if they have something to suit your needs.<br>

Best wishes,</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. The Ni-Cd cells are useless in my Power Drive Booster E1. I'll rebuild the pack with Ni-Cd's, they are cheap and I have the correct charger. I did find Ni-Mh chargers that would work just fine but I'll keep it simple.<br>

I continued research and found Canon information from two EOS system charts. Since it is so hard to find the info, I'll put it here for others in search of the info. <br>

<br>

Battery Pack BP-E1, 280 grams without batteries. <br>

Battery Magazine BM-1 for 4 AA size batteries. <br>

This is strictly a selectable dual power source. with a 2CR5 battery in the part that inserts into the camera and a selector switch to choose the 2CR5 or the 4 AA size batteries. There are NO controls.<br>

<br>

Power Drive Booster E1.<br>

Battery Magazine E1 for 8 AA size batteries. <br>

Ni-Cd Pack E1 and Ni-Cd Charger E1 with 90 minute charge, can charge two Ni-cd Pack E1 at once.<br>

Has AE lock and shutter button, NO main control dial. I have not found Canon using any terms like PB-E1, NP-E1 or BM-E1.<br>

<br>

Power Drive Booster PB-E2, 484 grams without batteries. Battery Magazine BM-E2, 50 grams without batteries for 8 AA size batteries.<br>

Ni-MH Pack NP-E2, 320 grams. Ni-MH Charger NC-E2 with 100 minute charge can charge two NP_E2 packs at once. Has discharge feature, takes about 8.5 hours.<br>

Has shutter release button, AE Lock button, FE Lock/Multi-Spot Metering button, Main Dial and focusing point selector.<br>

<br>

BM-1 only fits BP-E1.<br>

Battery Magazine E1 and Ni-cd pack E1 only fits Power Drive Booster E-1.<br>

BM-E2 and NP-E2 only fits PB-E2.<br>

Camera compatibility information with different battery chemistries was conflicting so I did not include it. </p>