Pacific Northwest

frank_kohn

<p>I'm going to the Pacific Northwest on a family trip and am trying to determine what gear to take without breaking my already iffy back. We're spending three days in Mt Ranier, Anacortes Area (San Juan and Whidbey Islands) and Seattle each for a total of 9 days. Shooting with a Nikon D7000 I figured on my 18-200 and my 70-300 VR and maybe my Tokina 11-16. As much as I'd love to take the 70-200 VR I its just too heavy. I'm hoping the other lenses will be fast enough for wildlife with my D7000. I had a D90 with just the 18-200 and Tokina in Eqypt and did just fine. Of course there's plenty of light there at least during the day. And a polarizer can easily be stuffed in the bag.<br>

And to carry it I bought a Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW which has room for the body and extra lens and room in the top section for one more lens but I might also take my Think Tank Multi-100 and use the photosport for other stuff.<br>

No flash but should I schlep a small monopod as well. Any and all advice welcome.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>When will you be visiting? Weather can play a huge role. On a 9 day trip, you'll be moving around a decent amount. Hikes around here require paying your dues for views, too. My gut says to take the 18-200 and a polarizer and leave it at that. Some more specific thoughts:<br>

-Rainier in August will have fabulous wildflowers<br>

-Wildlife will either be easily accessible with the 18-200 or not accessible at all with what you have. Unless it's a critical part of your trip (unlikely on a family vacation), I think you can leave the 70-300 at home. <br>

-You will get lots of beautiful vistas at Rainier and the San Juans if you hike into the hills there. I'd take the 11-16.<br>

-Tripods are a personal thing based on what and how you photograph.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree, for any scene in or near Mt. Rainier NP anything longer than 200mm is a waste except for wildlife (since you're predominantly restricted to the trails and designated places). With the near record snowpack and late and slow snowmelt, wildflower season will be in August this year. I should have more information on my <a href="http://www.wsrphoto.com/mtstart.html">NP photo guide</a> in late July to early August. Otherwise for the trip I hope you have reservations or friends/family to stay. Expect busy and yes bring a tripod.</p>

<p>You, depending on the weather, may have lots of light or lots of rain. You should be prepared for moisture (the Evergreen State has large forests with lots of rain moving in from the Pacific Ocean....) and if you are lucky, you should get some fine shots. You might consider a small macro lens...parts of Mt. Rainier has "rain forest" areas, along with a Carbon Glacier -- if you like black ice.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My approach lately is to take all the lenses I can and then pack daily only with those that I think I can use effectively depending on what I'm doing. I definitely don't carry everything in the backpack, every day. Having spent years in the PNW, I'll agree with Dave L - you'll be lucky to see real wildlife, and you won't need a huge lens if you do. Landscapes in that area are incredible, and Scott is right about the late wildflowers this year. </p>

<p>I'd carry the 18-200, 70-300 and for sure the Tokina 11-16. A tripod would be nice. David's advice (above) it what I do when on a trip. The 11-16 will help with the immense sea/landcapes you will encounter and the longer ones will help with isolating elements. I've lived on the dry side for some 30 years and was on the wet side for about 3.</p>

<p>We'll be in Ranier last few days of July and in San Juan's the first half of the first week in August. I want the long lens for whale watching. might bring some close up lens filters as I don't have a macro. Any recommendations on lightweight small travel tripods?</p>