Pacific Image PowerSlide 3650

In years of reading posts on forums here and in the newsgroups I don't recall actually ever seeing a scan done with one of these scanners. I've also seen some pretty poor reviews. If you would like to do your own testing, feel free to buy it, test it and report back.

If I were you, I'd stick with a scanner that's more of a known quantity and which isn't competing solely on low price. Maybe keep looking for the V.

At $800 the Pacific Image 3650 is considerably more expensive than the Nikon CoolScan V. Still I am inclined to agree with you. By the way, I called a local Kit's camera about the CoolScans. They told me that not only is the V discontinued but also the 5000. If this is true then that leaves only the very expensive 9000.

I think I am going back to black and white film and my enlarger. Never had a problem with the enlarger beyond changing a bulb.

For what it's worth, my first dedicated film scanner was a Pacific Image 1800U. It was a total disaster in all senses. The software crashes. The hardware might as well be a snap together toy from a Cracker Jack box. Oh, and and let's not speak of the "optics."

Maybe the 3650 is a better machine. My recommendation though, is to buy from a shop that allows easy returns.