Outdoor studio flash

toniolombardi

<p>Hi,<br>

I have 2 Elinchrom Dlite-4 strobes and 1 Elinchrom Style RX600 strobe which I use in the studio. I also have a 1KVA UPS system which I use to power one of the Dlite-4 strobes on location. It works but recently the batteries are dying and it is not giving me enough autonomy for my shoots. I was wondering what you guys use to operate these flash strobes on location. I would love to be able to light at least my two dlite-4 strobes but a 1kva ups is not enough for that. Any ideas? what equipment is available from photography equipment manufacturers? Have any of you used fuel powered generators to operate studio strobes?<br>

Thanks,<br>

<br /> Tonio</p>

<p>Check out Paul Buff's <strong><a href="http://www.alienbees.com/battery.html">Vagabond system</a></strong>. Far, far better suited to running monolights than a UPS system - many of which do NOT put out true sine wave power. Less than pure sine wave output can really shorten the life of strobe electronics. Hope you're also thinking about how you're earth grounding that UPS in the field. Anyway, the Vagabond is the tool for the job, no question.</p>

<p>I have two Alien Bee B1600 & two White Lightning X3200 monolights, which is some serious power. I power them with four older Vagabond power packs. I've been buying them for $100 to $150 from eBoy. They work great for me! I've had them out twice now when it was colder than 20F below zero, and used them for three hours tonight when it was 10 to 15F below zero with no problems. I don't do portraits; I light up BIG stuff.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>Hi Tonio<br>

I found them through PNet when I was doing a bit of research a couple of years ago. They ship to the UK, and as far as I know, there are no issues and they do a UK spec model . I don't have one, as I built a couple of my own a while ago - I needed some features these didn't offer.<br>

If you search through PNet, there seem to be quite a few people that are happy with them.<br>

Regards<br>

Simon</p>

<p>Tonio, regarding your question on fuel powered generators, I posted a "101" on using generators for location shooting on my blog....<br>

<a href="http://spbphotography.blogspot.com/2009/01/using-generators-for-location-shooting.html">http://spbphotography.blogspot.com/2009/01/using-generators-for-location-shooting.html </a><br>

It might be worth giving it a read, it should answer most of your questions.<br>

Cheers</p>

<p>Simon</p>

<p>I still think that fuel generators and the 16lb vagabond (which I own and complained about this before) are too heavy for location work. Add the weight of the Vagabond, monolight, reflector, light stand, camera bag and gear, all together-- carry that a kilometer to the location. And that's only a one light system.</p>