Out of state wedding

j_g21

<p>I occassionally shoot weddings out of state... I do understand that I charge sales tax in the state I am located, and pay that sales tax to the state as I need to. However, what my question is: When I do an out of state wedding, I don't charge them sales tax for my state, but do I still need to pay that tax to the state the service was rendered? It doesn't seem right to not charge sales tax, and not pay the sales tax, just because it is not in the state I am located in... Do I need to register my business in all of the states I deliver services? It is confusing to me.. </p>

<p>Thank you, and please be kind...</p>

<p>JG</p>

<p>Depends, consult a local accountant. Also read the sales tax law in the applicable states, tax may apply only to goods and not services.</p>

<p>Edit: Without knowing which state you are in and the names of the other states and having a detailed knowledge of the relevent taxation laws of all jurisdictions, no one can give you a definitive answer.</p>

<p>I'm no lawyer, but I think that fact that you are literally doing business in the state means you need to pay whatever state taxes (maybe not just "sales taxes") there are in that state. I would think it very risky to shoot there without being totally square on what obligations you may have.<br /> This can be dangerous, since I once had the experience when my late wife did a small job in a neighboring state, and it turned out the tricky little devils over there wanted not only to have us pay income tax on the small amount she earned in that state, but potentially on <em>all</em> of our combined income - a much larger obligation. Don't cross the revenuers. Moreover, many places have rewards for people who turn in non-payers, like maybe the local photographers who see you working on their turf?</p>

<p>JG -</p>

<p>The answer is it depends. </p>

<p>Some states charge a sales tax on services such as photography, others do not. </p>

<p>Also - be aware - that you may also have to pay state income tax (if the state that you are shooting in charges one and you meet other requirements)</p>

<p>Best advice - talk to an accountant - not a bunch of photographers.<br>

<br />Dave</p>

<p>It's probably easiest to talk to a CPA. You could call the sales tax department of each state, but that could be an ongoing problem. Also, there may be 2 parts to this. The first is your initial "package" where you performed he work in another state and the other is where did you produce the finished product and subsequent reorders?</p>

<p>It may be considered inter-state commerce (i.e., Alabama-licensed logging trucks tear up the roads here in NW Florida, USA) and the truck's Alabama license plate is all that is needed to travel Florida highways.</p>

<p>One, maybe, would consider a couple of weddings in a neighboring state in such a like-situation. Or each state would have a tax-booth on the road into that state.... Hmmm, that would create a couple of more jobs for the job market.</p>

<p> </p>