Out of retirement How much to charge

DickArnold

<p>I closed my photo business in 2002. I had a friend ask me to shoot PR pictures of his wife who is a very successful, and well publicized, Board member and former CEO. He also wanted some family shots. I packed up my old but still effective Novatron lights and went to their house and shot about 200 pictures. It went well and I downloaded them onto a DVD and I am sending them today. Some are good, some are not. She wanted to see them all. That's fine with me as we communicate well. Anyway, what is a good hourly billing rate since I have been out of the business for almost eight years. I do know how to treat clients and take pictures. I was at their house for three hours including coffee afterwards. I spent about two hours sorting and processing today. Eight years ago I probably would have billed three or four hundred for this. Not sure. I want to charge an hourly rate.</p>

<p>Hi Dick, I try to charge what the market will bare, if it's $50 an hour or if it's $150 an hour. It depends on the size and scope of the event. All clients are not created equal. In this case, I don't think $100 to $150 an hour would be excessive. Just by asking around and checking out the competition you should be able to get a good handle on pricing.</p>

<p>It's always a tough call if friends are involved... tougher still if nothing was agreed in advance - they have no opportunity to politely decline the shoot, or to negotiate a rate before the job has begun.</p>

<p>That said, they are friends, and while you are essentially doing them a favor by coming out of retirement, charging the maximum amount possible is probably not appropriate. You have around five hours of your time involved, plus some ancillary expenses - presumably gas, etc. I think $100 for the first hour and $75 for subsequent hours is not out of line - this would total the $400 you'd originally thought was reasonable. Although this is only what you'd have charged some time ago, it reflects your close relationship with them and the fact that you most likely have less overhead now than when you were in business full time.</p>

<p>As friendships are infinitely more important than a single job, I'd give them unlimited usage rights without time restrictions for both the PR and family shots. You could make some additional money on enlargements of the family images - but this time I'd make sure they know what the prices are before you complete the work. By the way, great shots in your portfolio here - your friends are lucky to have had such an accomplished photographer to turn to in the first place - seems like a win/win to me.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>John and Dan thanks. I did turn over unlimited rights to the pictures. That's why they came to me. Their regular photographer retained the rights and wanted more than I will charge to release one picture. I am going to charge close to what you recommended, John. I don't need the money but they insisted upon paying me commercial rates. The reason for my asking is that I did not want to over charge them and keep it on the low side. I swim masters and had worked out that morning so when they packed up my gear and took it to my car when it was over I was very grateful. I had somewhat forgotten that photography is hard work. I was a little wrung out. Thanks John for your kind words about my pictures. The first thing I said to the client when he asked me was that I did not want to ruin a good friendship by doing this. We worked through that somewhat before I agreed to do it. Turned out the phootgraphs of the kids were very important the them. The home atmsphere allowed a lot of dialogue and some good expressions. Dick Arnold</p>

<p>A good hourly rate is the one that you negotiated prior to the shoot. Shame on you if you didn't. Someone is going to be unhappy with whatever you charge. It may be them and it may be you or even everyone.<br>

How would you feel if you went to a friend's restaurant and there were no prices on the menu? This is the situation you have created.....-Aimee</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p >It was a shame I missed this question Dick. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >My answer would have been in line with John Bellenis to provide a win / win. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Also, I have friend who constantly buys from me and insists on paying full price even though I at first offered a cut rate, a small cut but a cut none the less. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I accept that he wants to pay what others pay, then there is no obligation and business is beyond the friendship, such that he can make a complaint about the product or service and any complaint will be removed from our friendship.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I also note well, that which you have later referenced.</p>

<p > <br>

WW</p>