Out and About with a Microcord

John Seaman

<p >The Microcord was made my Micro Precision Products of Kingston on Thames in the mid - 1950's M.P.P. also made a series of large format cameras of various types and many other photographic products, as well as the Celestion loudspeakers.</p>

<p > My Microcord, which I boght from a dealer at Melton Market a few weeks ago is the second version with the Prontor shutter – the earlier ones had the British made Epsilon shutter. It is something of a cross between the Rollieflex and Rolleicord, having wheels to control the settings, but a knob to wind the film. It is also as far as I know the only TLR except the Rollei's to have parallax compensation via a moving mask in the viewfinder. The taking lens is a Ross Xpress 77.5mm f3.5, and viewing lens an unnamed f3.2.</p>

<p > The screen is plain ground glass and isn't too dim but I've got a fresnel which drops over the top to brighten thinks up – at a cost of increased reflections and glare. It seems to be a perfectly usable camera with a good lens and has produced some contrasty shots on a long out-of-date roll of Kodak Ektachrome 64.</p><div>00ZLeN-399471584.jpg.dc381d4aa8c893fa51b2b51bf7462813.jpg</div>

<p>Its in good condition apart from the leather peeling slightly on the front as you can see. The red lever at the bottom is for cocking and releasing the shutter, there is no winding interlock. The green lever on the right selects M, X and D (delay - which works).</p><div>00ZLeQ-399473584.jpg.be36e63b32325846bc47627b9b04c6ba.jpg</div>

<p>Reading back I've realised I made a mistake about releasing the shutter, it does of course have a seperate shutter button. The transparencies are well exposed suggesting the shutter speeds, which run in the old sequence of 1/50, 1/100, 1/300 are accurate.<br>

There was an earlier thread about the Microcord here:<br /> <a href="../medium-format-photography-forum/001g8y">http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/001g8y</a><br /> also I'm a (sadly rather inactive) member of the MPP Users Group whose website contains much more information:<br /> http://www.mppusers.com/<br /> As always thanks for looking.</p>

<p>The thing to watch on the Microcord, is the slightly fragile wind mechanism. I've seen two die in the same way, the otherwise simple button release failing through the over-strong spring shearing the tiny screws that hold the button in. I have heard that the more complex mechanism on the Microflex also has winder problems, although it seems to be quite different from the Microcord.</p>

<p>It's a great pity, because the Microcord is, apart from that, a very useful tool capable, as your images show, of first class results.</p>

<p>Nice work.</p>

<p>Really interesting to me to see these non-German and non-Japanese manufacturers making their last stands. It has led me to some American 'classics' but we hardly ever see much from Britain over here in the USA.</p>

<p>While I love today's cameras, we are somehow made poorer by the concentration of production in the hands of a few large corporations, no matter where they are.</p>

<p>Ah, that beautiful English countryside...Great series,<strong> John</strong>, from a quality camera. I seem to remember using a MPP view camera many years ago, and being impressed by it's sturdy construction. The Ross lens seems to perform very well; who needs a Rolleiflex! You're fortunate, having so many fascinating old locations in your area. Thanks for an interesting post.</p>

<p>Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I have to say that a manual TLR camera is not the best companion for a bike ride, by the time you have dismounted, taken out the camera, checked the exposure and fitted the lens hood the light you wanted to capture has disappeared. It's a shame we can't all meet up at the Ship Inn one Sunday afternoon, with the old Great Central Railway viaduct just across the road, the river Soar and Grand Union Canal nearby, and a pint of that lovely dark mild in our hands.<br></p>

<p>Thanks for posting.<br>

Beautiful photos from a beautiful camera. The Ross lens lives up to it's reputation.</p>

<p>Sadly, when the protectionist trade barriers came down, the Microcord and many of it's contemporaries disappeared. It's a pity that we never saw any of them here in the US. I have never seen a Microcord, a Periflex, an Ilford Witness; well, who anywhere ever saw an Ilford Witness!</p>

<p>But back to the pub for a moment. I have had good luck in similar situations with a TLR taking candid available light photographs. They are quiet and just sitting on the table....</p>

<p>Hey Michael yes I'd love to do some shots in the pub but I've never been able to pluck up my courage, as I'm not enough of a regular there, it's just the destination of my occasional cycling forays. I did a post about the Periflex a while ago, which you may have missed:<br>

http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00Wcj3<br>

I don't think I have ever seen an Ilford Witness either.</p>