Online Photography Course

chiu_mei

<p>Hi Photogs,</p>

<p>I consider myself an advance beginner and have developed a serious interest in photography. I have bought myself some new gears recently but understand that great photography takes a lot more than nice equipment. I've done some research online on online courses and basically came down to NY Institute of Technology or Photography Institute (if anyone knows of any others, please advise). <br /> My goal is to become a professional on a part time, freelance, or full time basis. For now, my interest is in wedding photography. I understand there's some of you with the belief that I can learn these skills by reading books, learning on the internet and going out to shoot and shoot. I believe that too. But this could take me much more time vs. a organized, structured layout of an online course will likely be much faster in polishing my skills (on the learning techniques, etc.)<br /> My questions to you who have taken an online photography course recently (I understand NYIP has had their share of negatives mainly due to outdated materials) either with NYIP, PI or any other programs. What are your experiences, positives and negatives?</p>

<p>Any other suggestions or feedbacks on pursuing my goal?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Hello Chiu Mei - It's all about the cost and the "outdated material" you'll be getting for that cost. There are hundreds of thousands of registered users / photographers on this site alone and in the world there must be billions. Everyone is a photographer today. In the end no one is going to care that you have a certificate and a vast amount of outdated information from New York. <br>

I would suggest that you use the funds you would have spent on the course, on equipment, tap into the vast amount of knowledge that is available on this site for free, and look at what other wedding photographers are doing, both from an artistic and business point of view. Is there enough demand in your area to support another wedding photographer? Would one of the photographers in your area take you on as an assistant?<br>

Lots to think about but there is always more than one way to arrive at a positive outcome.<br>

Regards - Joe Harrison</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Chiu Mei,<br>

I'm exactly in the same dilemma as you, looked at a lot of online courses and short listed these two, the NYIP and the Photography Institute. Read a lot of reviews about both, but all of them were a couple of years old, so I'm really interested in some fresh feedback !!</p>

<p>Hi all.</p>

<p>Joe has some good points, think carefully before you spend your money with large corporate education companies. Quite often you just get a lot of PDFs and little constructive feedbacks and this makes for a very expensive online book.</p>

<p>As an educator I truly believe that a well designed course will aid learning, I think this is common sense. The problem is a lot of large companies are just looking to make money and have no passion in teaching or the subject.</p>

<p>If you are looking to turn pro, business advice is also very important.</p>

<p>The companies you have mention I do have some experience with, mainly through my students. I don't want to say too much about this, but please think carefully.</p>

<p>I hope this helps<br>

• 1 month later...

<p>I believe online photography courses have a place for those who want to get serious about their photos. I am somewhat bias though. I have been working to with a dear friend to create a video-based course that not only does justice to the art form we love, but also is more than reasonable.<br>

Learning how to take great photos shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg!</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

<p>Hello all,<br>

Getting in on this discussion a little late, but here is my opionion. I completed The Photography Institute course a couple of months ago. It took me about 7 months and that was at a fairly leisurely pace. I spent the considerable money for this course because, having only had experience with point and shoot cameras to that point, I wanted a thorough introduction to serious photography by professionals. I will say that I learned a lot with the modules and assignments. I had easy contact with my tutor, David Goldberg. He answered all my questions and graded my assignments within one or two days at most. The downside is that all of this is via the internet, with no face time. For most of the assignments this worked, but for a few it would have been helpful to talk in person. But let's face it, that would not be possible at this price point. For me, the experience was worth the cost, because even though all the information could have been gleaned from other sources, that would have taken a lot of time and would be piecemeal at best. I don't plan on having a studio, but there is good information in the course for those wanting that. I now use many of the free on-line tutorials for greater expertise in various software programs (Lynda.com is phenomenal -for $25.00 US a month, you have access to all the tutorials and can cancel at any time.)<br>

I would say that this course provides the basics for a professional photograper. If you expect to go shoot for Vogue after you have the diploma in hand, you will most likely be disappointed. An internship with an established photographer and lots and lots of practice would be needed to get to that skill level. Hope this helps some out there.</p>

<p>John</p>