One thing to hate D7000

errol young

<p>I love the camera. It is like a D70 on steroids. But i have the way they positioned this dial so that I usually find it moved once or twice during a job. I use a piece of tape to hold it still. All they had to do is have the lock thingy lock the upper dial too. Same issue on the D70.</p><div>00aBij-452943684.jpg.9d603eca5cb1ef60baebd04f2f1fb88e.jpg</div>

<p>I've had mine for over a year and never had the dial move unless I moved it on purpose. That includes pulling it in and out of a snug camera bag. Weird.</p>

<p>Wonder if it has anything to do with the neck strap. I don't use one, have a home made version of a black rapid so nothing comes close to the dial.</p>

<p>Doesn't happen to me often enough to cause problems. I put a sticker on it so I can tell where the dial is by feel. They put a lock on the 'shooting mode' dial seems like one could of gone on their too. What do you even call that dial? I get confused by all the different modes and functions...</p>

<p>Used to happen to me just at the wrong time with both my D70s bodies, so when I decided on replacements, I very quickly eliminated the D7000 and went for the D300s for that reason, along with the extra fast AF/frame rate, better high ISO and more robust body. Never have to think about it anymore. Isn't it called the Mode Dial?</p>

<p>I don`t have this camera but I`m sure a locking buttom would be even more annoying (I hate them on my film cameras). It disturbs operation.<br /> I hate my D700 when the pop up flash is suddenly "popped out". But that`s another story.<br /> I see you`re using a "non-official" kind of strap or attachment rings; does this happen with the Nikon ordinary straps, too?</p>

<p>In addition the the problem you mention, what annoyed me about my D7000 was that I inadvertently rotated the front and rear dials constantly, hanging aperture, shutter speed or both. This was enough of an issue for me to sell the camera. </p>

<p>It appears only Nikon's 'pro' serious cameras have locks for all these dials.</p>

<p>My experience is similar to Daniel Jolkowski's: this problem happens to me occasionally, but it is very infrequent. However, I do prefer cameras such as the D300 and D700 that do not use such knob; to me, it is much easier to press on the "mode" button and then rotate the main command dial to select the SPAM exposure mode.</p>

<div>00aBpB-453071584.jpg.6794d7a420cfc06334821701ab56ff0a.jpg</div>

<p>There was a time when many users had cameras modified for their particular needs. Leica IIIs used to be modified by some users with standard PC sockets. Would it be possible to make a physical modification to fix a problem that afflicts many D7000 users? If this isn't practical, is it because:</p>

<p>1. It costs too much, one can more cheaply purchase a model without the problem.<br>

2. Nikon makes it difficult, denying service, even for pay after the warranty period, on cameras altered this way. Or<br>

3. Is it technically difficult, in that there is not enough room for such a modification.</p>

<p>I don't know the answer. I'm interested because I really like the D7000, but even the rare times that I have shot even a few frames with the dial in an unintended position have bothered me.</p>

<p>The D7000 has two stacked dials, and that feature is taller than others. Therein lies the problem. It's easier to inadvertantly move the top (nonlocked) dial. The proximity to the edge of the camera adds to that potential. I haven't done it yet myself, but I'm sure I will.</p>

<p>The D70,80,90 and 100 had a similar knob, but it hugged the body contour more closely.</p>

<p>The D40, 3000, 3100, 5000 and 5100 have the dial on the right of the prism, removed from the strap area by a bit. Do those folks hit it with their finger while using the shutter?</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>I agree. My #1 complaint. I've sat there looking at a screwed up picture on the screen and wondered what the hell I did... Oh yeah... it was in "bla bla bla" mode. The exposure mode dial should lock down along with the shutter mode dial.<br>

My #2 complaint is that the memory card door opens by accident a lot.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>It happens on other brand cameras too. Three times in the last 2 days with my 7D. It's something I am doing or there is a little gremlin doing it. Probably the same one that keeps dimming my Toyota dashboard display lights all the way off every few weeks. These little annoyances keep us on our toes.<br>

Of course there is duct tape. Handyman's secret weapon. </p>

Cheers, Mark