One camera one lens: Alex Webb

david enzel

I guess we all need reminding from time to time about the timeless virtues attainable with an outfit such as used here. Providing we have an eye (as surely Alex Webb has) for a picture, or the patience & perseverance to master such techniques.

James T

a one camera one lens man myself...but short on technique.

Try this, Sanford, if you're using internet explorer:

* Put your mouse cursor just to the left of the URL.

* Depress the mouse button.

* Drag your cursor to the end of the URL.

* press ctrl+c (hold control key down, then press c key, let both up)

* press ctrl+l

* press ctrl+v

* press return

Should take about 2 seconds or less, no mistakes. If you want the URL to open in a new browser window, put a ctrl+n between the c and the l steps.

Some restoration of faith was indeed needed, David Azia's recent one, one... material was much better. These look like a few unusually bad holiday snapshots. It may be the web presentation, but if the photos were any good to begin with, it must have taken an extra effort to make them like this.

AW's other pictures look a lot more interesting, but it's still a pity we're only allowed to see such small version, I hope they don't do him justice. (This a general problem with well-known photographers presented on the web, people of the internet generation will never understand their fame, at least not without an extra effort.)

Sanford: "I am not capable of copying that long of line without at least two mistakes."

Sanford, you should get someone to show you how to select text with a mouse, copy the text (with a key-command or menu selection -- your choice), then paste it into your browser with another command.

Simple-as-pie copy/paste has been in graphically-based OSes for, oh, around 15+ years now.

• 4 weeks later...

I reach for my gun whenever I hear the word "snapshot". The same people

denigrating Alex Webb here probably have only seen a few crappy jpeg's on

the web and have never seen his work in person, his books, or his stuff for

National Geographic, yet they feel qualified to judge. How would *you* like to

be judged based on jpeg's whose quality and size you have no control over?

Webb's work is pretty consistently dynamic, challenging, and engaging, which

is pretty rare these days.

I have no doubt that Webb is a fine photographer, certainly better than I. But someone (David Enzel) thought that this group of photos on the NG website are a good example of Leica photography, whatever that is. Hopefully, they are not, as most of these photos are truly mediocre. Yes, they do look better in the magazine prints, which I have seen, but this article is certainly not the best representation of Leica or NG.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a search for "<a href=http://www.magnumarchive.com/c/htm/TreePf.aspx?E=29YL53UHS21>Alex Webb</a>" and up popped this thread, which I missed, apparently, first time around. (Nothing like blowing into the party several days late, after everyone else has long since gone on to something else.)<P>

The reason I was doing the search is because I just finished consuming, in one long slow draught, his book, <U>Hot Lights / Half Made Worlds</U>. I've long admired his work, but spending real time with this book has really made me sit up and take notice. Strong and compelling stuff. And if ever there was a "Leica stylist", this guy is it. (What's really surprizing is his age: he's been at it a long time and still under 50.) I've actually been meaning to post a thread about him here, but now I guess I don't have to. Webb is slowly working his way into my top five favorites list.<P>

As is <a href=http://www.magnumarchive.com/c/htm/TreePf.aspx?E=29YL53IRSE8> Harry Gruyaert</a>, whose work I frankly hadn't noticed until quite recently, when I picked up a book called "The New Color Photojournalism" (published in the early eighties). <a href=http://www.magnumarchive.com/c/htm/TreePf.aspx?E=29YL53UHBZX>Martin Parr</a> is another whose work I've grown increasingly to first admire, then emulate (too easy to do in Waikiki - fish in a barrel), then admire again. His <U>Retrospective</U> in particular, I'd recommend. <P>

Really, you pretty much can't go wrong with that Magnum bunch. It's interesting (and noteworthy too, except everyone I think already knows this) that Magnum and Leica are pretty much synonymous.<P>

Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks for the Alex Webb post.