Olympus XA is a Hoot

markdeneen

<p>I finally got my little Oly XA and took it out for a test drive. Hard to find an RF much smaller than this little gem. I found it to be lots of fun with two little issues. My fingers kept wanting to move the sliding door a tiny bit off "open" which renders the shutter button dead. And, the little focus lever was a bit tough for my largish hands. Otherwise, this is a really nice camera to pack. Although it is a simple camera, it is fairly sophisticated with a nice aperture priority operation. And, you can't find a quieter shutter than this! Much more pocket friendly than my Canon AF35ML, or Nikon One Touch, or Nikon 35Ti. It takes silly good pictures.</p><div>00XZMO-295087584.jpg.cfd0314a4eefff23dc6316962d957f1c.jpg</div>

<p>I think it is actually the smallest 35mm rangefinder assisted manual focus camera.<br>

I got 3 and I love them. Well built, compact, good lens. The only thing I sort of don't like is the wind on clickiness. Its just loud. Oh and the square bokeh ;)</p>

<p>I like it so much!<br>

<a title="CNV000033 by Costo, on Flickr" href=" CNV000033 src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2262/2266180520_5bc888f01f.jpg" alt="CNV000033" width="500" height="338" /></a><br>

<a title="CNV000033 by Costo, on Flickr" href=" CNV000033 <a title="201007-235-xa-rdpIII-28 by Costo, on Flickr" href=" 201007-235-xa-rdpIII-28 src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/5039501715_2c244abc23.jpg" alt="201007-235-xa-rdpIII-28" width="500" height="337" /></a><br>

<a title="201007-235-xa-rdpIII-28 by Costo, on Flickr" href=" 201007-235-xa-rdpIII-28 watch your fingers! it is easy to put them into your photo with this camera</p>

<p>Hate to admit it but the XA is a better street-shooter than a Leica M or even CL -- quicker to use, more compact, nobody takes it seriously so it isn't as visible to the people you are shooting, and the lens is first-rate. The auto-exposure also seems to be extremely good.<br>

My favorite story about my XA is the time I dropped it about 3 feet onto concrete and the little needle that indicates the shutter speed quit working, but the shutter still seemed accurate, so I kept using it. Several months later I dropped it again -- accidentally, I swear -- and the needle fixed itself. Rangefinder/shutter all kept in synch. After 20 years or so the wind-on gears are wearing a bit, so negatives are not as evenly spaced as a Leica's, but there's no overlap and the camera keeps chugging along, a perfect travel camera.</p>

<p>Charles - -<br>

Yeah! I am a newbie to the XA, and have only had mine a month or so, but I am seeing the beauty of this little gem already. I really like that it is so small it doesn't draw attention out on the street. I have gotten some excellent results with mine and I am taking it more and more as my pocket camera.</p>

<p>It's funny, I guess, but I never would have even considered carrying a camera like this a few years ago. I considered them all "junk." I was obviously ignorant of a great little camera. I also enjoy my Canon AF35ML, although compared to the XA, the ML is huge and bulky.</p>