olympus pen eed vs. pen F

oscar_sandberg

I owned the Pen FT and loved it. Sold many years ago however. The decision was based on most of my prints being made at 8x10 and I liked the results from full frame better. I was quite impressed with the sharpness of the several lenses I owned at the time.

They are two totally different cameras. The Pen F or FT is an SLR and it is quite good. The plain F has no meter and has a bit brighter finder, and is usually more expensive.

Go for it if you like film. It's one format that's been "beaten" by digital, but I still use mine. It's a lot of fun.

I have both!

The Pen-FT is probably my most treasured one among my cameras, I've printed 8x10 prints that no one is able to discern from full-frame. Even the standard lens that comes with it (an F.Zuiko 38mm/1.8) is very sharp and have a nice bokeh (see sample picture below).

The Pen EED that I got has its battery connection shot, so I can't test it yet. I like manual shutter speed and aperture on the Pen FT better than the fully automatic EED.

If I have to choose, I'd display the EED on the shelf, but I'd use the Pen FT.<div>00KDF5-35326184.jpg.3fe8c2d493fd5894b6616bae497bd32d.jpg</div>

I have both and have used them. As an earlier post said, they are quite different. The Pen F has the greater capability and adaptability-- slr; aperture, focus, and shutter speed can be varied, closeups; lens interchangeability etc. The Pen EE-D runs strictly on a program: set on A[utomatic] you have to go with what the camera decides; focus is by scale; you can take it off program (as you have to do for flash) and set an aperture but it is at the flash synch speed which sounds like 1/15 to me. The lens is very good; I don't know if the standard f/1.8 for the Pen F is a better lens, but I think that the precise focus on the F makes a difference.

Still for me, the Pen EE-D is closer to what I like in half-frame-- quick and easy to use with high quality but not able to deal with as many different situations as the Pen F.

Main difference is probably that you could by 10 or 20 Pen EE series cameras for the same cost as a Pen F, even without a lens.... maybe even broken. I got a Pen EES2 from a junk shop for $5 and it works great, I dont shoot it too much because half frame is a pain unless you are going to a pro lab or have you own neg scanner.