Old Warden Airshow - lens question

<p>I plan to be at Old Walden June 5 for the airshow. I am interested in [mostly] flight shots. The airplanes will mostly be propeller driven and of vintage age therefore relatively small and slow. Also I think I will be reasonably close, perhaps 100 to 200 meters. I will be shooting with a Canon 7D 1.6 crop.<br>

My lens choices are:</p>

<p>70-200 f4</p>

<p>300 f4 IS.</p>

<p>I also have the 400 5.6 but think it will be too long.</p>

<p>So can I get away with just one of these lenses, and if so which one? I will be traveling from the US and want to keep things light.<br>

It would be awesome if someone who has actually shot vintage airplanes at Old Warden would chime in. I'm not sure exactly how close I will be to the flying aircraft - looked at Google maps and that's where I got the 100 to 200 meters from.<br>

I'm really looking for suggestions for this specific location and type of flying but general advice would of course be welcome.<br>

Roger.</p>

<p>I've never been to this airshow, but I've been to several others. I found that a 200mm lens was almost always too short. A 400 mm lens would be good for some shots, but that one stop in maximum aperture could make a difference unless the weather is very bright. I would choose the 300mm. </p>

<p>For me 300mm (i.e 200mm f.l. on a 1.5 crop camera) is optimal for a 'normal' air show. The aperture and stability issues when using a 400mm make it a poorer option in my opinion, but serious enthusiasts do tote some serious lenses. My own choice is a 80-200mm f2.8 Nikkor on a D200.</p>

<p>However, I recall that the viewing distances at Old Warden (Bedfordshire, UK), are quite short, but it's a long time since I went there. So, I suggest you ask the same question on the (UK) Amateur Photographer forum, where there are <em>many air show enthusiasts</em>, or on a plane spotters' forum.</p>

<p>when i go to airshows my list looks something like this: Canon A1: 400mm, 50mm, 24mm. Canon 350D (now 7d): 18-55, 70-200. i would bring both the 400 and the 300. I just put my backpack down by my feet while i shoot. The 400 can be a bit tough to use, and can require prior planning on the flightline and an expectation of the maneuvers that are about to be performed. I tend to have to crop from my 200mm lens.</p>

<p>You should be able to find a spot to photograph from, and most air shows let you move about - except for center stage, where they often let you pay for a up-front seat. On either end of the runway you have to opportunity to shoot a takeoff (or a landing) at a airshow.</p>

<p>Some air show (prop-aircraft) images may be seen at</p>

<p> <br /><br />http://www.photo.net/photo/10913377<br /><br /></p>

<p><br />http://www.photo.net/photo/10906307<br /><br /><br /><br>

<br />http://www.photo.net/photo/10912650</p>

<p>Either a good 70-300mm or a 80-400mm lens will work.</p>

<p>Roger, have you considered a 100-400? I know it's not on your list, but they are available for rent. I find most of my airshow photos, particularly the in-flight shots, tend to be bunched up closer to the 400 end. This lens allows me to find the airplane quickly at 100mm, then zoom in for detail and composition.</p>

<p>I second the 100-400mm. If you plan to do more airshows, this is a standard "affordable" telezoom on Canon mounts. I may be a Nikon shooter, but I know a lot of 100-400 users and they are always happy with it.</p>

<p>Generally, you'd want something that goes at least as far as 300mm. Something as long as 400-500 is nice, but with those kinds of ranges, you might grow a tendency to shoot aircraft even further out of range, which will then be affected quite heavily by heat haze.</p>

<p>The problem with a prime is that target range varies quite considerably. For some shots you'd want a 400mm. For others, you'd want a 70-200. Personally I usually carry a wide/tele zoom (18-55, but I'd prefer something a *little* longer at the tele end) and a long tele zoom, usually both my 70-300mm and Sigma 150-500mm, mostly because I can. I could probably forget the latter without losing much. For you, a 100-400 would have been ideal.</p>

<p>Everything depends on how far from the planes you will be.<br>

In the US, the minimum is typically 500 feet (150m). At that distance you pretty much need a 400mm lens to get good shots of single-aircraft. A wider lens is good for formation flights of multiple aircraft.<br>

For static aircraft, a wide-to-normal lens is good. I tend towards the wide end because I like the perspective, but you may prefer closer to normal.<br>

You might try posting the question on the Mid-Summer Airshow thread at: http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index.php/topic,21822.0.html<br>

There's a link to last-years thread, which might give you some idea of the situation.<br>

Also, searching on "Old Warden" pops up threads for a number of other shows there where you might get some information.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Geoff S.</p>

<a href="http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index.php/topic,21822.msg263342.html#msg263342">- Mid Summer Airshow</a>

<p>I live just over the fields from Old Warden and trudge along to some of the shows. I agree that 200mm is not long enough for flight shots in that while close, if you want something other than side on or underside views, you need to catch the planes as they turn. For this a longer lens is needed. The best thing about Old Warden is that the trees make a good backdrop as the runway is in a depression. ALso, you get some dust thrown up about half way down the runway which can add to shots on takeoff.</p>

<p>Take your standard lens too as there is often some ground action worth capturing. Period dress etc...</p>

<p>Thanks so much everyone. You've convinced me to take the 300 and 1.4 converter for the flight shots. Got me thinking about getting the 100-400 too....You were all very helpful and I appreciate your efforts.</p>