Ok, so is there a vuescan raw workflow for negatives?

<p>When it comes to slides I normally scan in 64bit RGBi. Then at leisure I scan from raw with IR cleaning on to get a raw again, open in PS and assign Minolta 5400 II posi linear profile and do a perceptual conversion to ProphotoRGB and I take it from there on.<br /><br />I have had to switch to shooting negatives because the sole surviving E-6 processing lab in the city has irregular supplies of E-6 chemicals. Besides, I kind of like Ektar 100 :-)<br /><br />Question: Is there a vuescan raw workflow for negatives that will need me to scan only once in RGBi and then I can do without handling the film again? How to address lock exposure and lock film base color during scanning from raw in that case?<br /><br />Insights appreciated! Thanks,</p>

<p>Yes.</p>

<p>Scan like you normally do, for a raw scan.</p>

<p>Your subsequent "scans" will use the input "file" instead of the actual scanner. If you need to use the locking functions, I suggest you also scan a portion of the blank negative and use that as the reference.</p>

<p>I usually use ColorNEG/ColorPOS for my post processing work, which makes my life easier.</p>

<p>Happy scanning!</p>

<p>This will get you started with Color negatives:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc15.htm#topic12">http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc15.htm#topic12</a></p>

<p>I think you're on the right track doing the Vuescan Raw File approach, but my 2 cents: I found no advantage to saving 64 bit raws (with the embedded infrared data, for subsequent cleaning). I apply the cleaning (lightest setting, anything stronger seemed to just blur more) at time of scan, specify the raw scan to be saved "at save".</p>

<p>Also the 64 bit raw tiff is 1/3 bigger, and as far as I can tell, impossible to edit in Photoshop.</p>

<p>"Also the 64 bit raw tiff is 1/3 bigger, and as far as I can tell, impossible to edit in Photoshop." - Mendel</p>

<p>Mendel, it is possible to edit in photoshop if you switch to channels view and turn off/discard the greyscale IR channel. Then add an appropriate profile to pull the gamma up from 1.0 as you would for any linear TIFF. Advantage is that this way you can edit the scan as if you never applied IR cleaning. I do that for scans that are almost entirely clean to start with.</p>

<p>Thanks for the inputs, I'm going to scan a few rolls of Ektar this weekend.</p>