NYIP Course Question

emily_jacob

<p>Ok, so I poked around the forums a little bit to see what other people have said about NYIP before I asked. It seems like a lot of people were disappointed but the postings were a couple years old. I was wondering if anyone has recently or currently are taking any courses and see what they thought. I wanted to take the Short Course: Fundamentals of Digital Photography. It's $350 so I figured it was a pretty good price compared to others I have seen. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>I've enrolled in the Professional Course and I'm only into my second unit so far. While some of the DVD material is obviously from the older VHS format, the course materials often have updates to include more recent developments in the digital realm. Unit Two, my current unit, is all about processing B&W and color film. Although I shoot fully digital, it's now obvious to me that understanding how films work and how to process them, directly relates to how digital sensors capture images. So far, I think it's money well spent, and I can work/study at my own pace, which I really like.</p>

<p>Hi Emily,<br>

My name is Chuck DeLaney and I'm the Director at New York Institute of Photography, so my opinion may be biased. I came across your post because I was looking at other photography forums since we've just launched our own. I don't generally respond to questions about NYI, but since yours was fresh and involved our newest course, I thought I'd toss in my two cents.<br>

First of all, you're correct that some of the old threads at photo.net and other places raise issues about NYI's materials. Fortunately, we've made all kinds of changes in the last several years. Most comprehension tests are now online, evaluations are digital, and we're busy updating all kinds of things. However, the world of photography changes so quickly in the digital age that by the time the ink is dry on a printed lesson some scientist somewhere has come up with something new.<br>

Our Fundamentals Course was designed for people who want to take control of their digital camera. The lessons, audio, and assignments were all created in the past two years. We do include NYI's two-part video, Weekend Photo Workshop with this Course and those videos were made in the late 1990s. We're still using them because they're good, and we try to keep from updating everything all the time so that we don't have to raise course fees steadily. If you're interested in getting more information you're welcome to visit our website, or contact our student advisors.<br>

In closing, I just want to add that there are many valid ways to learn photography. Our distance education programs are just one, and some pathways are better than others for some people. That's why we offer a no-risk complete refund so people can decide for themselves whether our way works for them. Hope this helps. Regards, Chuck</p>

<p>Elimy<br>

I am graduated from the NYIP this fall. I have been in photography since 1991 as a self taught , then took some private courses in Venezuela in the year 2000. Then, when I came to US began to look for another courses and I found NYIP.<br>

I want to take advantage of this moment to say HELLO! "in person" to Prof DeLaney, what a surprise.! Very pleased to meet you!.<br>

I have to say that i am very satisfied with the NYIP Complete course in professional photography. I truly believe that PHOTOGRAPHY is PHOTOGRAPHY regardless digital or film. The basics of the camera and the understanding of the process is the same for both "systems". The course helped me to refresh some content and to learn about many other topics as fashion, formal posing, lighting, journalism, landscaping, nudes, LEGAL ISSUES as Copyright and Model Releases.<br>

In my particular opinion, the ONLY CONS I found was that some of my questions e-mailed to them were not answered as I expected. I DO liked the materials, the DVD's, the explanations... the texts books (magazines).... the way the information was presented. Every unit was presented in a logical sequential manner. Based on my experience as university academic and on my previous courses, I can tell you that NYIP covers all that you need to know to begin, after that SHOOT-SHOOT-SHOOT and experiment. Today the digital technology make it "easer and cheaper".<br>

One comment I have read is that the material is obsolete because many different opinions... I think that even when "the form" may be important, I DO THINK that the content is what really matters. Another comment is that all the information they offer for 1000 and something $can be found is photography books for cheaper prices... THAY IS TRUE, but what you CAN NOT BUY are the METHOD, explanations, tutorials and the pedagogical approach they use. This is a course for someone that is an easy going learning with tutorials. It works for some people and does not work for other people. It worked for me. I DO intend to take the Photoshop for photographers soon.<br>

I hope my comment have helped.<br>

Best<br>

JC</p>

<p>Hello Emily,<br /> I will apologize upfront to Mr. Delaney, My personal opinion is basically this. I believe in all forms of education, but I think you will get more bang for your buck at an adult school program or local community college. You get hands on, and one on one instruction, at a lower price than Mr. Delaney's program. Another option is to look at some photo workshops. The basic complaint is the course material is somewhat dated. Again if you look at the threads through out the site this reoccurring theme when NYIP is mentioned.<br /> I do think there has been improvement in the courses and course material over the last few years. It is not that I think the program is bad as much as I think there are better more effective resources for less money.<br /> If you can't find another program then I would say look into NYIP, but it would no be my first choice.</p>

<p>My opinion is about the course you want to take. The materials are good, but very basic. If you know anything at all about shutter speed, and how to use it, and also F-stops, printing etc., then I wouldn't take it. It's for someone who wants to do something more than press the button and get a picture. If that's where you are at, you would get a lot out of the course. It also includes composition. If you know all that stuff already, I would either go with the Professional course which is a lot more money, and unless they have really updated it, is WAY out of date. A lot of material, though.<br>

Another option is <a href="http://www.ppsop.com">www.ppsop.com</a> which has great courses. You get feedback quickly, which is more than you are going to get through NYIP, and you can communicate with other people and the teacher through a message board. I have taken several of the courses, and when my finances get to the point where there is a bit extra :), I will take another one.<br>

Debbie</p>

<p>Thanks for all of your opinions. Debbie - I am at the point where I don't know anything about photography and do want to do more than point and shoot. It sounds like you think it would be good for me then if I'm at that point. I do want to take a workshop through our local art guild but I won't be able to do that until this summer. I am looking at getting started learning now. I am currently in college but my school doesn't offer any kind of courses for me. I will check out ppsop.com too, but right now I am leaning towards NYIP. Thank you!</p>

<p>Hey Emily,<br>

It seems you have already drawn your own conclusion. I am currently "enrolled" in the Professional Photography Course, and are working unit 2. I have been waiting just about a month for Unit 3 to ship, but just emailed my Student Advisor about it today. Hopefully he emails me back soon, although the last time i emailed in a question i had to email it 3 times over the course of a week to actually get someone to respond, and it was about missing materials from Unit 2. I have been self taught mainly, and have not learned much from the course, for a beginner I would recommend it. I am sure their materials are much more updated for the Digital Class the Professional Photography one. I am not disapointed in the materials (other than, the other stuff being no so aesthictly pleasing) because they have not changed.<br>

I wanted to say Hello to Chuck as well, and kinda am wondering about this statement "Most comprehension tests are now online, evaluations are digital".. I am not sure which course he is citing, but my evaluation arrived on a cassette tape, that I had to actually go out and find to hear it, and the tests are still paper. Mabye Things have changed for Unit 3 and above. I am hoping he has subscribed to this thread and can point me in the right direction for finding all of the online materials.<br>

The photo assignments need to be sent to the school via mail and your paying for postage out of pocket. I actually like the idea of mailing the project instead of submitting digitally, although the OPTION would be nice. I just wish the school could send a postage paid envelope to send the projects back in.<br>

I say go for it, because education is education and I am sure you will learn something. I am finding it super hard to go to a brick and morter college in my area (south florida) because it seems that photography has dropped off the degree lists for schools like FAU, Broward College, NOVA, ect - I am not too sure why, I figured with the digital age, it would be more desirable. It's possible the schools are updating the course list to digital photography however, because i seem to remember quite a few schools offering degrees in Photography.</p>

<p>Hey - I actually decided to go with a PPSOP course instead. It was only a 4 weeks beginners course and it was a lot cheaper so I decided I would start there. Unfortantly, I made the mistake of dropping my camera Thursday night (and my class started Friday) and it was broken to the point not being able to fix it. I just went out and bought a new Canon PowerShot, so I hope I like it as much as I loved my old one. I'm kind of bitter about things right now. :-(</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>Hi Emily,<br>

I see it's been a few months but I was wondering which course you chose from PPSOP and how it turned out. Like you, I was interested in the Digital Short Course from NYIP but am quite confused afer reading the varied reviews on photonet.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I recently enrolled with NYIP and I am loving it. I am taking the Professional Photography Course and I am finding the information to be great. Everything is on CD/DVD format. The books are easy to read, light and the pictures they use to show the course work ideas are wonderful. I am hoping to get alot of this class... and will post here and on a personal blog my process. Thank you and hello to Chuck DeLaney!</p>