Now that the D200 is reality...

hash

...it's time for the rumour mills to upgrade.

Nikon D3 specs

- FF 22M CMOS

- Magnesium Alloy body

- 8.5fps, 50JPEG (fine) or 40 NEF

- 2.8in LCD, 250k pixel

- CAM 2000 11 pt AF

- no internal flash

- MF lens data input - (can use MF lens with all modes)

- Battery level shown in %

- ISO 50 - 3200

- Shutter speed 30s - 1/18000s + B

- Compact Flash and SD storage

- build-in WT-3 Wireless Transmitter, with optional Antenna to

improve

transmission

- 2150mAH Lithium battery, 6 x NiMH in Grip

- weight: 1250g

- dimension 180 x 175 x 95 (mm)

- Announce at the end of 2005

Other versions say it's "only" about 16MP.

We're likely to see every one of those items before the first, "FF", given Nikon's history of pure stubbornness in sticking to their decisions not to acknowlege Canon's technological breakthroughs as a matter of principal even if it means losing most of their business until they eventually have no choice but to give in (eg in-lens AF motors and VR). Glad I hung on to my AIS lenses even though I sold off all the bodies and went Canon digital. They were worth nothing at the time but now that there's a Nikon dslr that average people can afford where the meter works with AIS, maybe I'll be able to get something for them now.

I think that the built in flash is a benefit to the CLS since it can work in commander mode

but how about this: no built in flash but a built in SU-800 commander?

And as far as the LCD goes, I think the current size is just about right. It already

dominates the back of the camera. If anything I'd prefer to see either a wider LCD on the

back to reflect the same aspect ratio as the sensor and/or a color LCD on the top that's

user customizable.

Also, I'd like to see the function button on the front expanded in capability so that it can

control more of the camera's features. In specific, I'd like to be able to switch between

shooting banks with it.

Nikon should add the RF remote back in as well. That was a very cool feature of the D70S.

I'd also like to see more grid display options built into the viewfinder, a better menuing

system and the ability to preview different post processing settings like white balance

adjustment on the back LCD.

Well, a FF sensor is hardly a technological breakthrough, it's just a question of improving the manufacturing process to reduce defects. Nikon doesn't have access to a manufacturing facility so it's out of their control. They can only control how a chip is designed but not how it's made, or at least not as much as Canon does.

As to AF-S/USM, it an implementation of technology used before elsewhere, and Canon had an exclusive license to the technology behind USM for a number of years so Nikon could not use the technology. It's hardly a question Nikon being stubborn about it, they implemented it as soon as they could. With VR Nikon was a player from the start but with the lack of success with their first product, they didn't continue this until a few years ago. Again nothing really to do with stubbornness, it takes a while to start working on something and see how it works out commercially. Minolta made great initial success with the lousy early in-body AF technology and Nikon used it too, as it was cheap to implement and did not take much space in the lens. The fact that Canon came up with USM was of course very much behind their current success. Nikon still hasn't implemented proper AF-S in most of their primes. But this is thanks to focusing their resources elsewhere. Maybe someone high up in Nikon's management needs to be replaced for the company to realise that screwdriver AF is not a good idea.

"Do they have any official/public statement on the topic?"

They have publicly and repeated said they haven't ruled it out. Soy generally makes the

CCD and CMOS imaging chips for Nikon. I have the feeeling that they make a lot more of

those devices than Canon does.

Canon makes great gear -- as does Nikon. Each has some significant technological

advantages over the other. Given how fast Nikon got the D200 out after the official

announcement and the feature set and price point, brand N seems to be catching up in

the marketing department The two companies share about 96% of DSLR market.

Anyone thinking nikon isn't into making a FF is a fool. They are not going to say much about it until soon before release. I would stay away from dx lenses if you eventually want FF. They will market whatever they have to sell at the moment like any other company. All those dx promoted advantages will go down the drain once nikon have a FF out.

It's business 101, all about PR games and short term gain.

<b><i>Anyone thinking nikon isn't into making a FF is a fool.</b></i></p>Actually the fool is someone who purports to know what Nikon is thinking or planning beyond the facts at hand and Nikon's history with respect to turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to the success of its competitors' technology and the mass defection of their own customers.

<i>Actually the fool is someone who purports to know what Nikon is thinking or planning beyond the facts at hand and Nikon's history with respect to turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to the success of its competitors' technology and the mass defection of their own customers.</i>

<p>

Well, FF hasn't been a spectacular commercial success for anyone, including Contax (few units were made), Kodak (sold more than Canon but quit), and Canon. And it's not "technology", it's just a sensor size.

<p>

Nikon has indicated that they're working on a FF model but haven't said when it will come out.