Not Your Normal Photography Course

marc_mahnke

I haven't heard anything but I just got done reading the 6 day course. It sounds interesting. I could make a killing here normally but my area was affected by Hurricane Katrina. I am still thinking about getting it though. When I say "thinking" about getting it then I will most likely get it soon. I said the same thing about my new camera and my new lens. Good luck to you.

Hi Mark.

I actually purchased their course and really liked it. They provide you with a wealth of information and are very responsive to your questions. Keep in mind, this is their business. While Pam does the photography, Jeff puts together the course material and writes a monthly newsletter. I subscribed to the newsletter until a few months ago, and to be honest, it really did contain some good info. Jeff recently switched to digital, and he ran a series of articles on how he went through that process, sharing his successes and failures.

If you are new to the portrait world (which I was - have been photographing nature/outdoor stuff for years) it was a big help. In addition to the photography info, you also get marketing info, and a pretty substantial swap file of various poses. Pam and Jeff teach natural-style photography where you offer your services and a complete photo package as opposed to the in and out photo session that offers up a series of proofs that people choose from.

I've been doing portrait work for a couple of years, and my business is scattered. But this is due to my lack of attention to it (I work a full-time job during the day and teach at a local college four nights a week) and not to anything the course failed to offer. I'm in the process of trying to free up some more time to get it back on track so I can quit one of my other jobs (hopefully both if all goes well). I have thoroughly enjoyed this type of photography, and got alot out of what Jeff and Pam put together.

Having said all that, I would recommend you take a look at it. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any other questions (moellerm@knology.net). I've got a few pictures up online if you want to see (www.thecameraseye.com - also go to www.thecameraseye.com/Clients/Barretts_Jan05 for an example of a photo shoot on location and not with a white or black background as taught in the course.)

I just did another two photo shoots here recently, both on the beach, with some inside shots on one of them.

Let me know if you decide to go with their course. By the way, what's your photography experience/genre?

Good luck,

Mike