Non-subscribers

todd frederick

Hi Todd...long time! That'd be me for one.

In the last 7 years of being here, I've made, with photography, well under $2,000 (two thousand) probably, in total. In the last year, I've spent well over $20,000 (twenty thousand) and in the last 7 years, probably over $50,000. When I started coming round these parts, it was very different. There were pros around, obviously, great ones too! but I don't even believe you COULD subscribe formally for the first few years I started. Needless to say, I've considered it many times, and indeed when I've been in a flurry of postings, I even feel guilty that I've not. But I wouldn't consider it (paying) NOW, i.e., in the last few years, unless a couple of things happened, largely a complete removal of the anonymous rating. Why? Because the last thing I want to do is pay for a service that therefore leaves me wanting to tell people, friends etc. possibly clients, to come here and take a look at my work, only to have them see a bunch of anonymous 1s, 2s and 3s on what to me should be a very important photo in my portfolio.

If you had to be logged in, and you had to show your name and even maybe if ALL ratings required a blurb by the rater, I think the whole game would change, and I for one would sign up immediately, most likely.

I don't hold off because of any sort of spite, I come from a time when it wasn't about money. I also come from a place in the last couple of years of wanting to MAKE money, with photography, and if/when that happens, my attitude would of course be different. You certainly owe those who help you when you are in a position to pay back. As it stands, I have $15,000 in loans to pay for what is essentially a hobby as I am not yet generating income, and when you think in those terms, suddenly it's not about $20 or $25, it's about a number much much bigger, and growing...

I also think there are far too many idiots hanging around these days to want to consider locking myself into a membership and then having no say 'wow, that was a mistake' if the whole thing blows up.

It's DEFINITELY worth making subscription manditory after 30 days, or you get the boot. That would make pdn most likely gain back a lot of the community feel it used to have. I would certainly subscribe then myself especially at the current rates. It's never been about a huge stack of photos, I have my own server...the community is what makes the site most valuable to me. And that is where it fails the most these last years, both in the gallery/critiques and in the fora themselves.

A bit of a noodling post, sorry, but hopefully it makes a little sense. I know it has 2 points of view...oh well...

Shawn

Just my opinion, this site has great forum (free!) but too many weaknesses in other areas (too many to list here) to pay for.

So why would I pay for something I'm not using if I'm getting for free what I come for (this is a retorical question, moderators don't need to answer)?

charging for subscriptions is detrimental to the community because it makes people feel entitled to anonymous screen names and mud-slinging. One I had decided to tear down the subscription system and charge people instead for disk space (photodb storage)

P Greenspun on another thread

>>Jeez, we are talking about $25, not testicles...

$25 IS testicles for someone like me...every spent $6,000 on a computer only to realize you still need to spend $1,500 more on RAM before you can even turn it on?...and all it is right now is so you can run Photoshop and make pretty panoramics and (sp)grandiosly-conceived 'art' which probably no one will like anyways?

Suddenly you see every penny when you're dumb enough to be a digital ameteur...with aspirations...and no 'PhD' beside your name/title. Almost makes you want to try and make some money with your photography to cover your costs...sigh...

(This post is meant in light-heartedly, for those who think I'm bitching...)

Shawn

It is my hope that there will be no subscriber/non-subscriber divide soon. People who use up a lot of server resources with big files in the photodb will be asked to pay for their storage/bandwidth. People who contribute useful assistance to other members in the discussion forums, and stand behind those postings with their real name, will not be asked to pay.

I don't worry about those who have never subscribed. I worry about those who have never contributed anything useful.

Never contributed anything useful, eh? I wish people would quit talking about me like that.

Oh, and if this is supposed to be a place where folks can learn, it may be a while before useful contribution takes place. I guess we'll need a time limit for enrollees to become useful, or cash in their chips.

I hope it is only an anomaly, but I can no longer access my posting history, nor that of other

non subscribers. I don't post work(no bandwidth) but do feel I contribute. If I can no longer

access my history, what is the point?-- as I can no longer follow things easily.

Now, how will I ever find the answer to this?

"...and stand behind those postings with their real name, will not be asked to pay."

Several members gave valid reasons in a since-deleted post as to why they do not use their "real name." I'll save you the trouble of coming up with yet-another defense of your position on this subject by offering the analogy of having an unlisted phone number. We have to pay for that right to privacy, as well.