non-cpu lenses

leo_grillo

<p>I have my D700 set up for light, fast work. 50mm, 85mm primes. Last night I needed a 24mm and I remembered that I had one in the old film kit. So for the first time I found myself using the non-cpu program. <br>

But ... I can't find it in any manual on any Nikon Dslr, in any third-party book, or in any posts here ... how to "de-select" the "non-cpu" choice when the cpu lenses go back on! <br>

Moreover, my "info" screen still says "non-cpu" when I put on the newer lens again. Anyone know this one??<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>When you mount a lens with CPU back onto the D700, the camera should detect the CPU immediately and automatically. If that doesn't happen, could you try cleaning the electronic contacts around the lens mount, on both the body and the lens?</p>

<p>Are you having the same problem with multiple lenses with CPU?</p>

<p>Leo, I'm sorry.</p>

<p>The reason you can't select this is because a <strong>properly working</strong> camera always knows when you've gone back to using a CPU lens. The only way it wouldn't know that you've switched back is if the camera got damaged by the manual focus lens.</p>

<p>I think that's why Matt was asking if it was Ai or Ai-S, becase a "pre-AI" lens can damage the lens mount of a modern camera. If you tell us the serial number of the 24, I can check if it's "safe".</p>

<p>Leo, I actually tested all of that on my D700 just now, mounting my 35mm/f1.4 AI-S and then an AF lens on it. My D700 has no such problem.</p>

<p>Again, there is no way to explicitly cancel the manual non-CPU lens selection because the camera should automatically cancel it when you mount another lens with CPU back on.</p>

<p>PS: I had been scrolling to a non-programmed file number, like "#9" instead of #1-3 where my non-cpu data resides. I did this "in case" but I shouldn't have to go to an empty slot. That got me looking for an answer. In all the manuals from all the cameras that have this feature, none say a thing about what happens when you put a CPU lens back on.</p>

<p>There is nothing to worry about. "Non-CPU" in this context means that next time you attach a lens without CPU, it is identified with the data you already have entered. There is no "reset" as such and nothing to worry about. Any AF/AFS/AFI/Ai-P lens will override whatever the non-CPU lens menu contains. It's a virtually fool-proof system. If you have only a single lens without CPU, the camera will always be set correctly once you put it back on the camera. If you have several non-CPU lenses, then you have to select the slot to be used.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Shun, it is all working fine, but the INFO screen still says "non-cpu" -- though the cpu lens works fine. Bothers me that there is a contradiction --and nobody has ever stated how to cancel the manual non-cpu selection.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Here's what I think may be confusing you. The INFO shows that you have assigned the Function button to non-CPU lens settings. It doesn't mean that the non-CPU lens setting is still in play, just what the FUNC is set to do. You can reassign the FUNC to something else and thus INFO would then show whatever that was instead of non-CPU.<br>

I hope my explanation is not too confusing on top of the original confusion!</p>

<p>Martha, thanks! That is exactly what happened!<br>

I don't use the info screen much -- this camera is for one purpose and today I doubled it for something else. It just blew my mind that there was no explanation anywhere -- even about it being automatic. Glad I remembered these boards -- there are no answers anywhere else! Thanks again!</p>