Nikon WedNEsDAy PiC 2010: #5

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by uplandlife, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Important: please keep your images under 700 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).

Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these WedNEsDAy PiC threads are right here.​
    Another cold weekend gave me a chance to catch up on some cozy indoor product shooting work.

Now, look sharp, and post an image showing what you've been up to with your Nikon gear.
    00Vfou-216965584.jpg

2. About 75 pelicans are spending the winter at White Rock Lake in Dallas, Texas. I was lucky to capture one in flight last week. This image shot with a nikon D80.
    00Vfox-216967584.jpg

3. Thanks to everyone who commented on my last week's infrared photograph (and also the previous week's macro). This week I would like to share a sunset photograph which was made in the South Mountain Park in Phoenix, Arizona.
    00Vfp0-216969584.jpg

4. From a recent shoot on a yacht, there's nothing better than champagne and strawberries in bed.
    00Vfp1-216969684.jpg

5. 3sh

3sh

It was very cold last weekend, so I did some indoor shooting at 82F.
    Details - D300, 90mm Tamron macro, f/4, 1/160s, ISO 400, handhold.
    00Vfp2-216969784.jpg

6. Passers by, Archibald Fountain, Hyde Park, Sydney Nikkor 50mm f1.4 @f8 1/250 on D700. This image is very sharp even at magnification in its original form; for some reason, my approach to reducing its size must result in some deterioration in its quality.
    00Vfp4-216971584.jpg

7. My buddy Matt and I traveled the frozen Kuskokwim River to Kwethluk on Sunday to visit and photograph the village. After shooting for a couple of hours we met Kira; she and a friend had been entertaining Matt's dog Ripley through the window of his Subaru. Matt, being a trusting and friendly soul, handed over his precious dSLR to Kira who went to work as if she had had formal training. I shot over fifty exposures of her with his camera - me, firing off frames like a desperate hack. Kira shot one exposure for every dozen of mine - I'd hear the Canon shutter fire “clunk", then my Nikon: tchet-tchet-tchet ... tchet-tchet-tchet, then Kira: "clunk". I thought that she was having trouble finding the shutter release and I imagined that she was capturing a typical six year old's photos: heads chopped off, wildly crooked horizons. Then, to Matt's and my surprise, she raised her right arm to compose in portrait mode. We looked at each other, jaws dropping in disbelief. Once back in Bethel we immediately backed up our cards and anxiously opened our files. All of Kira's shots were thoughtfully composed and engaging, horizons as level as can be. After a few rounds of editing most of my shots have been deleted and I'm left with this image of a little Yupik Eskimo girl enjoying her talent for photography.
    HaPPy WedNEsDAy
    (Nikon D300s with Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 @f4)
    00Vfp7-216971684.jpg

8. Hey, it has been a while since I have contributed so here goes. My 3 year old's birthday and this is her sister posing by the cake. Used my D300 with Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 with SB 600 attached with SB 900 as a slave.
    00Vfp9-216973584.jpg

9. Hello everyone
    Another week of wonderful photos to look at. I would like to thank Roberta, Jana, and Janne for their kind words last week.
    Today i have a photo of a Firewheel tree flower. You will have to forgive me as i don't know the correct name. The flower is mainly red with a touch of yellow but i had trouble doing it justice in colour so have turned it into a selenium colour to show the fantastic lines of this flower.
    I planted this tree 14 years ago and it took 13 years to flower and this year it is covered in the flowers
    00VfpA-216971784.jpg

10. Nice start and looking forward to seeing all the rest of this week's photos! Sorry for another Roadrunner photo this week, but it was suggested by better photographers than I to try and get down to eye level, so I went back to see if I could find him and got lucky. I hid behind the bushes and when he poked his head out, got this shot. The leaves blurred out most of his body, but I kind of liked the effect. (D90/70-300mmVR, 1/250, f5.6, ISO 400)
    [​IMG]

11. A heron (I'm pretty sure) on the Rio Mayo, Mexico not far from Alamos this weekend. He has a hole in his wing, that's not a speck on the sensor.
    00VfpJ-216975584.jpg

12. Hello Everybody,
    firstly thank you to Don Harper, Filip Lucin, Juho Niva, Roberta Davidson, Mark H, Joseph Leotta and Janne Kaakinen for your very kind comments on my last week's photo. I really appreciate it.
    This week a portrait of my son with his teddy bear taken in my studio, it was almost impossible to photograph him, he was moving and running and lying on the floor and turning with his back towards me, but suddenly he sat down and had this quiet moment with the teddy bear he loves.
    Taken with D700, 85 mm, f/1.8; 1/125s, f/9, ISO 200
    00VfpK-216975684.jpg

13. Nikon D90 & 10.5mm fisheye
    00VfpL-216975784.jpg

14. Great Wednesday pictures again!
    Here is my contribution.
    00VfpN-216975884.jpg

15. This week I post a shot I took this last Sunday which a friend of mine has picked of my latest work. So this is in honor of said friend. I'm still really "off" about my photography, but I go out & shoot. It's when I come home I lose all my "feel" for them.
    I didn't have my macro with me - we were out shooting birds - but as always I had my Lensbaby with me & I had my macro attachments as well. So when we found these fungi being lit so nicely by the sun, I pulled out the Lensbaby & attached it to the D300 & added the 4x Macro attachment. EXIFs are NIKON D300, f/5.6 @ 50 mm , 1/200 , ISO 640 -0.7 EV - handheld as there was no way of setting up a tripod & I was on the ground.

[​IMG]

16. Texas has a reputation for taking its high school football very seriously. Fewer people know that many school districts in Texas also devote significant time and effort to their music programs. The students in this picture were selected to be the state honors full orchestra this year, so they're preparing for a concert in a couple of weeks at the state's music educator's convention. The full orchestra has many of its rehearsals outside of school hours because most of the time the string orchestra and the wind ensemble (band) are separate groups in different classes. It was inspiring to see these kids spend three hours on a Sunday afternoon focused on polishing some difficult music; even a visitor like me could hear the improvement through the afternoon.
    I got lots of pictures of players concentrating on their work, directors looking dramatic, forests of violin bows, and cascades of brass. But this picture caught everyone during a happy pause, when the string players cracked up about something, and the directors let it go for a few moments. It's a glimpse at a group of dedicated students and teachers who genuinely enjoy making their art succeed.
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 at f/4, 1/180 (nothing remarkable about that).
    00VfpU-216979584.jpg

17. bmm

bmm

For once I have a totally new image, taken just this last weekend on a trip to the South Australian vineyards.
    Happy Wednesday everyone...
    00VfpX-216979684.jpg

18. happy Wednesday everyone.
    My contribution today is yet another shot from the local harbour. I must have a week spot there., but as shown the winter goes on and on and ...
    00VfpZ-216981684.jpg

19. Pinocchio portrait shot with D700+85mm PCE lens; 1/250s and f/9. SB900 in softbox left high and a white reflector on the right side.
    [​IMG]
    Pinocchio

20. Los Angeles Ca
    00Vfpl-216983584.JPG

21. It's amazing how many different patterns, textures and forms can be created simply by crystallized water.
    [​IMG]
    D40 @ ISO 200, 1/160th
    18-55 @ 18mm, f/8

22. Wow...I am early. Not even 10 here in Seattle.
    Narayan...Exquisite...truly...simple and so powerful
    Eric...Great shot and DEFINITELY my favorite story.
    Jeannean...I agree...great effect. Remarkable texture on the bird.
    Jeff...Another great shot. The hole adds another story to the one you've captured. Beautiful and majestic animal.
    Jana...Sweet sweet shot...lil boy blue
    My contribution is from a job I am editing right now. Taking a little break to see whats going on at PN. One of those sweet hush peace moments where my goal is for the camera and me to disappear for a second.
    00Vfpo-216983684.jpg

23. So many posts so early!! Not much shooting this week, but found this American Anhinga
    His colors are appropriate for all the football hoopla going on here - So to the boys in black in gold , Geaux Saints!
    00Vfpu-216985584.jpg

24. Happy Wednesday everyone!
    Roberta and Mark H.: thank you for your comments on my little bird photo posted last week.
    Dieter S.: your Red-tailed hawk photo posted last week is stunning. I love it. I like the soft color of the back ground and the sharp detail of the bird. Excellent.
    Lil, you could be right. It could be a Bushtit. However, in my bird book, the bushtit is grayer in color and with a long tail. The little bird in the photo is more yellow-brownish but lack of stripes colors. I am not sure anymore. I am not a bird expert. L
    I went back to the Año Nuevo CA state park last Friday to visit the sea elephants the second time of the season. This time, there were a lot of baby sea elephants. This picture is showing a mom sea elephant defending her new born baby from an army of sea gulls. Life is tough.
    00Vfq0-216987584.jpg

25. Ah Wednesday comes round again, this interesting shot is not manipulated at all it was shot out of my office window, the combination of 80 year old glass a telephoto lens at full aperture and back lighting make for an interesting effect, I normally wouldn't take a shot through glass but that was all there was between the cute bird and a fascinated little black cat.
    00Vfq5-216989584.jpg

26. I look forward to Matt's intro almost as much as I look forward to the photos presented by all.
    Here's a shot of some of the ladies on our farm keeping a sharp lookout for the lunch I'm about to serve.
    00VfqC-216991684.JPG

27. Holy Wednesday my dear Nikon colleagues,
    I appreciated for Filip Lucin, Roberta Davidson, Wouter Willemse, Paul V. Gorky, Jana Hughes, Janne Kaakinen's wonderful words to my post last week. Thank you.
    I did my homework yesterday. A poor fisherman was fixing his small boat in the city. Hope you like it. Thanks for stopping by and many cheers to you all. Regards,
    Ertugrul
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D AF, Aperture Priority, f/2.5, 1/3200sec, ISO100, ExposureBiasValue -0.67

28. I always check the awesome pictures people take and is inspiring to me, all the different topics.
    Well I decided to post the following picture of the moon, this picture I took on saturday night, after we came out of the movies I saw how beautifull the moon looked , so as soon as I got home I grab the camera and started shooting, ths is the best shot of all.
    Nikon D80 with a 70-200 f 2.8 @ 100 ISO
    00VfqN-216993584.JPG

29. Wow, so fast this thread started! My contribution ...
    Broken Glass
    D700, AFS50G, HDR 9 exposures
    [​IMG]

30. Taken last saturday, while practicing focus tracking.
    Thanks everyone for viewing and to those who commented my photo of last week.
    regards
    00Vfql-216999684.jpg

31. Backyard testing an N8008 that arrived with a pretty clean 60 f2.8 micro - caught for all of $90 at a non-feebay auction site :)
    (apologies for double posting this in the bokeh thread @ no words forum)
    00Vfqo-217001584.jpg

32. singer at hatitian relief benefit
    www.funkoze.org
    00Vfqz-217005584.jpg

33. Here is my contribution for this week. This is a shadow of an observer of an installation at a contemporary art exihibit at the Palais de Tokyo in Paris.
    00VfrE-217009584.jpg

34. Great pictures last week everyone! Well, it's not exactly Wednesday yet here, but here goes. This shot is one I took when I was playing around with my new lens.
    00VfrK-217011584.jpg

35. D80, 18-200mm Nikkor Zoom
    00VfrN-217011684.jpg

36. First I’d like to say thank you to Tiffany (I REALLY liked the portrait you put up last week by the way), Juho Niva, Gej, Roberta, Paul G and Joseph for taking the time to comment on my picture last week. And Joseph, in response to your question “do I ever go anywhere warm”, well there’s nowhere to go except indoors… and that’s no fun ;-)

Lil good to see you’re back :) Lovely shot of the mushrooms.

Well I was sick with the flu the last half of last week, but on Sunday morning I managed to pull myself together and go for a stroll down to the fjord. It was minus 21 degrees during the night so there were lots of icy things to take pictures of. I took my 105 f2.8 VR and thought I’d do some ice-macro pics, but of all the pictures I took I liked this landscape the most. The Gulf Stream holds the sea water warmish along the entire coast of Norway and therefore whenever it’s cold in the air there are large amounts of steam that rise from the surface creating quite spectacular effects.

D300 and 105 f2.8 VR @ 7.1 I think. ISO 200. Shot with a +1.0 EV.
    00Vfrc-217015584.jpg

37. This scene in the rain in South Carolina reminded me of the "wet look" of Velvia film.....
    00Vfrg-217017584.JPG

38. Shooting small birds from the shade for me again this week. This tiny fellow is a male blue fairy wren quite common in S.E. Australia but at only 7cm long from head to tail and never sitting still for more than a couple of seconds, they are not so easy to capture in a still frame.
    00Vfro-217019584.jpg

39. D700 + AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G
    [​IMG]

40. Hello everybody !. Mine was taken in a freezing , windy and coudy day , when I noticed a few ducks bathing in small eye of water who remain unfreeze. And there he was : the king of the pond..., to bad it was to far.., but I was packed : D300+ 300/2,8+TC-20E at ISO 800, 1/640, F2,8 (5,6 with TC). Even 900 mm wasn't enough , and I was forced to crop a little.
    00Vfrx-217021784.jpg

41. Morning,
    Beautiful (handmade?) knife, mr. Laur - Wouter: thanks for your kind words last week. My contribution: smoked fish. I think red gurnard, you call them in english. It is a common fish here at the North Sea coast in Holland, not as good as a wild salmon for smoking, but still very tasty health food. We smoke them over a mix of oak wood and beech.
    00Vfs5-217025584.jpg

42. Like Matt I have been shooting indoors because it was quite dark and miserable outside lately.
    [​IMG]
    D40, 18-55mm @ 35mm f/4.8 1/30 ISO 1600

43. Looks like I'm back to my regular concert shooting.
    Nikon D700 at ISO 3200, 70-200 VR, 1/160s @ f/2.8, RAW converted in Adobe Lightroom 2.
    00VfsE-217027584.jpg

44. Happy Wednesday everyone! Its good to be back!
    Eric James - great shot, great story!
    Tiffany Brook - lovely lighting and mood!
    Neven Jurkovic - awesome timing, that shadow is brilliant!
    Sanford Gerald - outstanding colour and composition!
    My offering this week is another shot from my Wednesday photoshoot at the St Clair groynes last week.
    Cheers from NZ!
    Vineet
    00VfsO-217029684.jpg

45. Downtown Los Angeles - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    00Vfsb-217031584.jpg

46. Happy Wednesday to all!
    The pics this week are great. I am trying to keep mine to pics taking in the past week which makes it difficult as it's been so grey here. Hopefully that will keep me on the lookout all the time and improve my skills. The colours in this image were great but I liked the grayscale conversion as much.
    00Vfse-217033584.jpg

47. I've got a cat for this Wednesday. Warm regards to all people here, great pics as always.
    00Vfsl-217035584.jpg

48. WedNEsDAy PiC #5

My final 2010 Australian Tennis Open shot is of Jelena Dokic playing a low to high forehand on the run. Someone else will have to cover the French Open. :)
    Camera: Nikon D300
    Lens: AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200 mm f/2.8G IF-ED
    Settings: 120 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/2.8 and ISO 1000 (Manual, hand held, VR off)
    00Vfst-217039584.jpg

49. Another Wednesday and another set of nice images to admire. Thanks to everyone who commented on my image last week - very much appreciated. There are already a few pelican shots in this week's posting, so forgive me for adding another one. Pelicans sometimes do strange things and I was happy enough to capture one such instance. D300 with 300/4 AF-S and TC-17EII, 1/1250s, f/6.7, ISO 450, -2/3 EV.
    00Vfsy-217041584.jpg

50. One of my favourite locations this time of year is St Albans Cathedral. The light, ambience and architecture are a solid constant in these changing times. I went with my F80 and 50mm AF-G, however in the camera shop on the hill they had a clean 43-86mm Ai zoom, so I purchaced that and used it on my F80. Exposure 3 seconds @ f/11.
    00VftH-217047584.jpg

51. A picture I took almost ten years ago in Lima Peru. This man was looking at me in a very strange, almost enigmatic way. I always wondered what he was thinking.
    Nikon F100, Tokina 28-80 ATX-Pro F2.8 exposure unknown, Fuji Sensia 100. Probably taken on a Wednesday.
    00VftK-217049584.jpg

52. Happy wednesday!
    Already a vast amount of winners up! Great work....
    To go with the theme of Herons and Pelicans, mine is a photo of a Little Egret. It was fishing and hopping from rock to rock (wave-breakers), I followed it for half an hour or more while it was trying to find some food.
    [​IMG]
    D300, AF-S300 f/4 w/ TC14EII. 1/400th, f/5.6, ISO800, handheld. Some editing done in CNX2.

53. Good morning and happy WedNEsDAy!
    I came across this picture a short while before sundown. Lots and lots of lines. The wind had caused the lines in the sand and the yellow light of the sun made the walkway come alive. I hope you like it.
    00VftV-217053584.jpg

54. A brisk AM near Cape may, NJ.
    00Vftm-217057684.jpg

55. Bus stop window...
    00Vfu0-217065584.jpg

56. Another WedNEsDAy already! Last week I particularly enjoyed Roberta's ethereal image and Jose's leaves and ice. Today I like Jeannean's composition of her roadrunner, Greg Jones' red doors, and Ikka's "barbed wire." The standards are very high to shoot for. This week I have another frequent patron of my feeder. This male Hairy Woodpecker is always entertaining to watch; to me there is something about his stout profile and pugnacious demeanor that reminds me of Churchill.=)
    00VfuD-217069584.jpg

57. Good morning. Many great photos already.
    My entry this week is a bit "different" Chrysler Building. It was (again) cold Saturday and I was waiting for a bus but couldn't be just standing and started walking around, then I found this reflection.
    00VfuM-217073584.jpg

58. Good WedNEsDAy morning everyone!
    I didn't shoot much this week, just a few snaps here and there, partly because my D50 developed a common "Mirror Stuck-Err", and I have been a bit hesitant to use it in the cold. But last weekend I finally joined one of the local Camera Clubs, and made my first visit to their dark room, which was really, really nice and well equipped.
    My shot for this week's thread feels a bit redundant when I look my last week's PiC, maybe I have some kind of "slightly abstract b/w"-phase going on...
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D50 + Nikon 35mm f/1.8G (@ f/3.5, 1/40 sec, ISO 400)

59. Taken a few minutes ago, as the latest snowfall to hit the mid-Atlantic area is drawing to an end.
    Tom M
    00VfuR-217077584.jpg

60. Hello ;) Great WedNEsDAy for everybody!
    Nikon D80, 1/100, f/5.6, iso 400, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF Di
    Ps: this photo is right from a nef file. No postprocessing.
    Is a feather on the lake, with a bird shadow at the botton. The feather is the mohican and the shadow is his soul. The last one...
    Thank you!
    A great week for everyone!
    00VfuT-217075584.jpg

61. Another "street photo" from the streets of San Francisco, a place I don't live but love to go to. [​IMG]
    D200 and 18-70

62. I had to shoot a passport photo this week. At first I followed the official guidelines here (http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/setup/setup_873.html) for even lighting, no dark glasses, etc., but the result was boring beyond belief. So I switched the lights around, made some other changes, and came up with this.
    I'm sure the nice folks at the U.S. State Department are flexible and can take a joke, wouldn't you think?
    D700, 105mm f/2.5 AI, ISO 200, 1/250 @ f/11.
    00Vfug-217079584.jpg

63. D90 VR18-105 18MM F/16 1/320s iSO 200
    00Vfuk-217081584.jpg

64. Good Morning WedNEsDAy :)
    So many beautiful images and many more to come.
    I received Tamron 90mm yesterday and thought of doing some indoor/macro photography. I used Sunpak RD2000 re-branded version Qunataray XLF-50N, it's not the most powerful hot shoe mounted flash, but I think it's doing decent job for an amateur like me. Out of the bunch of pictures I liked this one. It's so colorful...
    Model: NIKON D90
    ISO: 400
    Exposure: 1/60 sec
    Aperture: 10.0
    Focal Length: 90mm
    Flash Used: Yes
    [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Ray G

65. Good Morning!
    Wow, what a great start today! This is a shot from my yard in upper Michigan. It's with my D300, 80-400 mm VR zoom at f8, 1/500 sec, iso 400, 400 mm, from a tripod.
    Have a great week, everyone!
    Dick
    00Vfun-217083584.jpg

66. Good Morning to all Nikoners around the world. Dieter your pelican reminds me of the one I posted a few weeks back. Maybe they had the same dance instructor. Jeannean love the road runner again. Greg I wish I could do the French Open for you. And Hamish your icy water looks cool. This Tree Frog hides behind the toilet seat in the pool bath were I'm working. Its hard not to think about him jumping on you when your using the toilet. He wasn't very happy with me moving him around to use as my model. Nikon D3, Sigma 28-90 3.5 Macro, 92mm, F/5.6, 1/40s, ISO 2500, Hand held natural light.
    00Vfv9-217087584.jpg

67. Good Morning... Haven't posted in a while. Here's the sunset in Key West on New Year's Eve. There for a week with my wife & 2 daughters. I welcome your comments.
    00VfvC-217091584.jpg

68. Taken a couple of nights ago, freezing out!!
    00VfvE-217089584.jpg

69. Here is a simple photo from around the block where i live (under an overpass). This was taken with a nikon d300, nikon 16-85, at 16mm.
    00VfvL-217093584.jpg

70. Wow, what a beautiful Wednesday so far. I can hardly wait for the rest to show up. This is the best of the best I believe and throughout the day I will look at the photos and read all of the posts many times. It gives me such joy and I try to pick up some knowledge every week.
    Thank you all for making my day.
    This is a shot over looking the Bottoms Land in Marshall County, KY just after a light snow fall.
    Here's hoping everyone has a great day ahead of them.
    phil b
    benton, ky
    00VfvS-217095584.jpg

71. The sun came out briefly here in Memphis this past weekend and I decided to try to get some shots before the snow and ice melted. This one was deliberately taken facing the sun to see how much contrast I could get out of my D50.
    Happy WedNEsDAy everyone!
    00Vfva-217097584.JPG

72. Winter afternoon light.
    The "Granary Burial Ground" downtown Boston. Busy street at the entrance. You walk back into the cemetery and things get quieter and quieter, but the action in the distance is still visible. A deep layering in our lives. That's what I tried to express in this image.
    00Vfvk-217099584.jpg

73. It snowed yesterday so I took a vacation day from work and just goofed around and took some photos. This image was taken in a local cemetary that I had always wanted to shoot when it was snowing, I had the place to myself. Thanks to those who commented on my photo last week, I appreciated them.
    00Vfvm-217099684.jpg

74. Spring time, on a Lake with crystal clear waters.
    00Vfvw-217101684.jpg

75. [​IMG]
    Nikkor 50mm f2 AI at f8

76. Hi everyone,
    Tiffany, your portraits week in week out are top notch. This week you have definately captured a moment.
    My shot this week was captured on Sunday. After driving through a snow storm in the Bala area of North Wales I arrived at the Mawddach Estuary to be greeted with this glorious sunshine.
    00Vfw8-217103584.jpg

77. Wow, a lot of great images this week. We had a big snow storm here in the Piedmont area of North Carolina where I live. We usually don't get but a trace of snow, but we got over 8 inches. My image is of a corn field right across from where I live. That was about the extent of my travels in the snow. Image taken with Nikon D200, 70-200mm VR f2.8 lens at f11 @ 1/20 second ISO 100 on a tripod. Thanks for looking.
    00VfwD-217105584.jpg

78. [​IMG] What a variety of high quality images - all so very interesting and beautiful. Here in Montreal (Canada) we are in the depths of cold temperatures but I did manage to get this 'last leaf' yesterday late in the afternoon. I was only good for about 6 images before my hands froze. D300 70-300mm VR hand held in a crouched position with lens fairly wide open. Processed with Nik Capture V1.3
    00VfwV-217109684.jpg

79. Good Morning Everyone,
    This was taken here in Delray Beach, where I live. My wife called this one "silent" I too think that fits. hope you all enjoy.
    Comments to come later, when everyone has a chance to post.
    00VfwX-217109784.JPG

80. Shot with a Nikonos II and 80mm f4.0 Nikkor on Fuji Reala 100
    00Vfwi-217113584.jpg

81. Happy Wedsnesday, everyone
    [​IMG]
    D700, 60mm AF-S, ISO400, 1/125 @ f2.8, EV+0.7, post in DXO

82. From another Haitian benefit concert over this past weekend.
    00Vfx6-217117584.jpg

83. Pomegranate shot with:
    Nikon D60
    AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED
    Nikon SB-800

1/160
    F/5.6
    ISO-100
    00VfxS-217121584.jpg

84. canal locks
    00Vfxd-217123584.jpg

85. Church of the Angels, Pasadena, CA. D700, 14mm.
    00Vfxn-217127584.jpg

86. Neven, who says 14-24 has to be shot wide? Very nice capture.

87. Florence Cathedral, Coolpix P3
    00Vfxu-217127684.jpg

88. This is a Pratt &Whitney, 16 Cylinder engine on a 1952 Martin 404 airplane. Nikon D300, SB-800 flash, Nikkor 12-24mm zoom.
    00Vfxx-217129584.jpg

89. Played with Sharpener Pro to the extreme, looking for a "porcelain"
    look to the girl skin. Here the one
    http://www.photo.net/photo/10203454

straight from the camera.

D300 + 18-200 @112mm - f5.3 - 1/400 sec. - ISO 400
    00Vfy3-217131584.jpg

90. My first shoot in a studio setting.
    D300 + 85mm f1.4 and studio strobes. A lovely subject helps.

91. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

I have been to Santa Cruz perhaps 30 times, mainly to photograph surfers, but I had never gotten any good pelican images there until recently.
    Nikon D3S with 500mm/f4 AF-S + TC-14E, ISO 400, wide open @ f4 for an effective f5.6, 1/3200 sec.
    This is a situation that I would much rather use my D300, but I was testing the D3S and had to use it that day. Since I didn't have the "crop factor," I had to add a TC onto the 500mm to get reach. The D3S is now on its way back to Nikon USA. Next time I go there, I'll use the D300 again.
    Moreover:
    • Paula: The gulls and other sea birds are going after the after-birth from the seal pub. There is flesh and blood, perfect food for them. I have seen this phenominon at several locations where there are seal pubs.
    • Neven: Excellent image of the little girl and the bird. The shadow makes this image.
    • Jeannean: I think this week's image is much better than last week's: http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/10576955-md.jpg because whenever we photograph small animals or children, it is better to photograph from their eye level so that we are looking at them "from their perspective." Of course, my own bird image this week was captured from a very high angle. :)
    • 00VfyY-217135584.jpg

92. My first shoot in a studio setting.
    D300 + 85mm f1.4 and strobes.
    00Vfye-217137584.jpg

93. Winter afternoon.
    00Vfyg-217137784.jpg

94. Nice pictures again
    Last thursday I went to take the garbage out and saw a full moon with a nice halo around it. So, I had to go and get my camera. It didn't come out just like I would wanted it, but here's the result anyway.
    Shot with Nikon D200 + Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 ED (116mm, f18, 2.5s, ISO100, EV -3.33 )
    [​IMG]

95. A cold day last Sunday, so I stayed inside and gave a try at photographing smoke. I created the split-tone in Lightroom 2. First post to this thread. I enjoy viewing the photos and especially the lenses used.
    00Vfzl-217143584.jpg

96. Nikon D300s 70-200 VRIII at ISO 2000 f2.8 1/3200 sec 105mm
    Cade's Cove location in Great Smoky Mtn's two weeks ago.
    00Vg04-217145584.jpg

97. was out looking for some wildlife and it just wasnt happening so i ended up with barbed wire :)
    D60 1/200 @ f5.6
    [​IMG]

98. Happy Wednesday Everyone !! Excellent pictures today but I do like most :
    - Narayan K - Beatiful and very inspiring !
    - Jeannean B - Beatiful
    - Tiffany B - Very tender and good lighting
    - Thomas G - Well done and good lighting
    - Tim H - Great composition and very artistic
    Here is mine for today. Taken at the zoo with Nikon D300 / Nikon 70-300 mm VR
    Have a happy shooting !!
    00Vg1X-217157584.JPG

99. Nikon 4T diopter on an Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.4 lens. The picture was taken with the Panasonic GH1. 1/100 sec, f5.6, ISO = 100.
    00Vg1g-217159584.jpg

100. it has been a while since I have posted on this forum. this week my submission is a self portrait. taken on a tripod with the remote. I put a white sheet over the window to diffuse the light which was coming in camera left. D90 18-70mm lens
    00Vg1z-217161584.jpg

101. My favorite meal ... steak and green beans ... mmm.
    00Vg2m-217171584.jpg

102. At playground...
    00Vg3K-217177684.jpg

103. Thanks for the kind words for my photo last week. In haste, here's another aerial shot from the Xmas period, since that was the last period I took photos, passing over part of the new terminal at Larnaca, a nice view of three of the national carrier's aircraft. The large A330 is about to be pushed back to depart for London Heathrow.
    [​IMG]
    D700, iso800, f/9, 1/500, 120mm

104. Beautiful images everyone!
    Working oil pump.....
    00Vg4V-217181584.jpg

105. taken at National Auto Museum in Nevada California ...
    00Vg4m-217183584.JPG

106. Zoey started drinking my ice water. Too late to take it back, so I got out the camera instead. D300. "Nifty Fifty" Low light. ISO 3200. Hand held.
    00Vg4v-217187584.jpg

107. Happy Wednesday everybody. This week I decided to show a scanned print from a while ago showing the magnificent pipe organ at St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC. I think it's from about 1999, during a wedding I was shooting for a pair of medical students. N90, 400ASA Kodacolor, probably 50 1.4, maybe 85 1.8. Enjoy the music!
    00Vg4w-217187684.jpg

108. Hello all,
    Amazing photos, so far!
    My contribution is from last Saturday at the Botanic Garden in DC.
    D300s with 17-55mm - shot at 28mm f/9 1/125th sec with ISO800 hand-held with flash mounted on the camera with 'pre' white balance setting.
    00Vg5P-217189584.jpg

109. bms

bms

mine this week, from last Saturday
    00Vg6g-217193584.jpg

110. Ice tee?
    Weinheim, Germany
    00Vg8A-217203584.jpg

111. Nikon D80 with Nikkor 50mm F/1.4
    00Vg9V-217223584.jpg

112. HI - fab collection of pictures again this week. The snow has fallen again today, but this shot is from the local AmDram rehearsal of Cinderella on Sunday. Where else can grown men get dressed up like this and put on a show.......? (Ok, maybe these days)
    D700, 24-70, 3 SB units just behind me
    00Vg9d-217225584.jpg

113. Nikon D700 Nikon 105mm Macro F2.8D and SB-900
    00Vg9s-217227684.jpg

114. A very cold day at the local marina
    00VgA7-217229684.jpg

115. Closed!
    this one was shot at the old italian restaurant that is destined to be demolished.
    00VgDg-217241684.jpg

116. Zoo Facination
    00VgFT-217255584.jpg

117. [​IMG]
    I hear there's a game this Sunday...At the Buddy/Bobby Brawds Parade. D700/24-70

118. Thank you to Hamish, Vineet, Gary and Maurice. Your work is exceptional...I take your feedback as the highest compliment.
    Kent ...your image is one of my 2 absolute faves this week. I can just see the passport office scratching their collective heads.
    Rick...yours is my other absolute fave...I am a sucker for a frog pic. And yours really captures the beauty and humor of these amazing animals.
    Great images...everyone. Top notch!

119. Label Systems, Bridgeport, CT...a creepy underground tunnel which led to the abandoned building I was shooting at...painted with a mag light...
    00VgHM-217261584.jpg

120. [​IMG]So many great pictures. I enjoy my Wednesday journey around the world. Thanks to everyone for sharing each week. I have not gone to any Mardi Gras parades yet and no Saints tailgating until this weekend so my contribution is[​IMG] an old one. This is One Shell Square located on Poydras Street in the New Orleans CBD. I was fascinated with the window washers and often watch them from my building. Scary job! This is taken with the D80 (which is now gone to another owner). I hope to have some this weekend with my new D90! :)

121. FM2n ,Ilford XP2, 55mm 3.5 macro, Honeywell Tilt a Mite flashgun. heavy,wet snow, brought out the old standard.
    00VgIJ-217273584.jpg

122. I like the passport photo !
    However... I recall my favorite line from "Men in Back".... The FBI does not have a sense of humor that we are aware of.

123. Sunset at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery from last week. Nikon D60 18-105mm at 18mm f/8 1/125sec iso 100
    00VgKh-217289584.jpg

124. John D., I am envious. I would have LOVED to go to that parade. Geaux Saints!

125. Eric James - What a great story and great capture.
    This is my first post this year I must say I was really lazy and didn't shoot a lot. it's the lack of sun that makes me like that. (There is nothing I can say that would excuse me from shooting) I promise to get back on track. ;-)

126. Hello guys, here mine from Puerto Vallarta street performers on Malecon.
    [​IMG]
    D300, 18-70.

127. Took some pictures at the GA Aquarium this weekend, but man the thick (I mean THICK) acrylic of the tanks really throws off my focus. This is probably the best of the bunch. Oops, it's shot at 55mm of the 18-55. Some great shots in this week's Wednesday, hopefully I'll get time to go through and comment on the ones that really stick out to me.
    00VgMC-217311584.jpg

128. FWIW: My fav this week - we drink, we smoke, we eat meat. The marvelous portrait from Kent.

129. Great collection as usual. This thread remains as my main source for learning.
    00VgOp-217341584.JPG

130. it

it

131. [​IMG]
    Been out in the forest again and found something in the early morning.Taken with Nikon D80 and 18-135mm kit lens.
    The wind has moved the fog over night which led to this form oft ice on leaves and twigs.
    Beautiful morning it was
    Yours Reinhard

132. Few comments, on things that caught my eye.
    Narayan Kovvali - Beautiful. I love it.
    Steve Hughes - She looks mad. The light grey stripe is distracting, but I like the posture and look of the bird.
    Eric Arnold – The cropping/framing of the singers head just too close, but the image has a lot of potential.
    Gej Jones - nice composition.
    Gary McGhee – Really nice.

133. I`m late here this week, and with no fresh photos... but after looking some mountain pics in other threads, I was jealous and decided to play with my V750pro scanner one more time.
    I don`t use to shot "classic postcards" (I have very few of them) but portraits and pics I like to use for documentation. "La Portilla de Cinco Lagunas" is a natural entrance from the top of the Gredos`range to the valley with the same name. After reaching several "affordable" summits in this area (here we are descending "La Galana"), we finally returned home using this steep trail.
    Nikon F3 + Velvia 50, I bet I had a 50/1.4AiS. Silly of me, I decided to place focus on my buddy.
    00VgVd-217411584.jpg

134. erik_christensen|3

erik_christensen|3 Self-employed

Just returned a couple of hours ago from 2 days in Cambodia. Unfortunately, a picture like this is very easy to take in Pnom Penh, and today I was happy to pay some food to these unfortunate children for their 'modeling'. Round the corner I met their mother nursing a 3-4 months baby.
    Yes, I think we - with a lot of photo equipment to play with, most of us at least - are extremely fortunate.
    00VgXA-217421684.jpg

135. Some very creative and inspiring shots this week.
    Here is my contribution.
    00VgYY-217435584.jpg

136. Erik Christensen- Unfortunately, you are all too right. I see this kind of poverty just a few miles from my house (in Mexico) and it breaks my heart. The government discourages visitors from giving them money (for a lot of reasons), but it's hard not to. Thank you for sharing your photo as a reminder of how fortunate we all are...and thanks to everyone in this thread for your contributions. I've really enjoyed my "trip around the world" this week (as usual :).

137. A bit late, but here's a nice warm flower from Colombia:
    [​IMG]
    D80 kit lens 18-135mm @135mm 1/1250s f/5.6 ISO100

138. Jose Angel, things would not be the same without you posting - so glad you did. Now where is Rene Villela?? Thank you all for sharing.

139. Blue Angel with training wheels???
    00Vgo1-217531584.jpg

140. I got to visit my local source of animal imagery during the winter time...The National Museum Of National History.
    Oh, and I got to test my new 105mm micro VR there. Quite amazing on the VR front in fact.
    00Vgrh-217565684.JPG

141. Thanks for the weekly 'around the world tour.'
    What caught my eye this week:
    Abib, God catch
    Hamish, always great
    Neven, Very nice shot
    Jens
    Tom Mann, Good atmosphere

142. It's now Friday, and I'm really sorry for not having contributed something yet. I've bought a Mac at the beginning of the week, and I'm still migrating things, and nothing is really up yet (which also has to do with other obligations) So. Sorry, sorry. Wednesday on a Friday.
    Thanks for your kind comments last week, Cees, Roberta, Wouter, Janne, and in particular Joseph Leotta - you make me blush! :)
    So, here goes:
    [​IMG]
    This is in Valencia, near the Ciudad de Ciencias. Taken with D700 and 24-85/2.8-4
    Anyway, since I've made it: Jeannean , I love that bird! Makes me laugh almost, the way he's trying to hide... Hamish , I like the feel for dimension in your picture.... Greg Jones , your shed really pops... Cees Maas : I'm a sucker for details like yours anytime! ... Vineet , that picture has something very ritual about it... Nick Harper - that is truly artistic ... have a good weekend, everybody!

143. Lots of super pictures this week—even more than usual it seems. A few of my favorites:

Jeannean's sharp/soft roadrunner composition
    Tiffany's great daddy/baby portrait (the wedding ring draws my eye somehow)
    Neven's consummate "decisive moment"
    Richard's layers
    John's lake with duck—"crystal clear" indeed!
    Carey's flowers. I can usually take or leave flower pictures, but the textures here are just equisite. Reminds me of Imogen's platinum printed lilies.
    Jennifer's elegant and dignified presentation of the aging tunnel

144. Contributors whose shots I found to be particularly interesting this week WedNEsDay 05
    Matt Laur – what a terrific photo
    Narayan Kovvali– thank you for sharing the sunset Really like the shot.
    Jens Frederiksen – you captured the winter harbour so wonderfully! Brrr
    Tiffany Brook – a real keeper! Thank you!
    Francesco Pessolano – right place at the right time. Great shot.
    Cees Maas – took me back to Leland MI when I was a young boy Thanks!
    Ernst Verloop – love the colors and shadows
    Vineet Rajasekhar – I’m sucker for lines & shadows & blue skies Really like the shot
    Tom Mann – wonderful night winter shot. The light dances.
    Kent Shafer – what a shot! You could be shooting a movie
    Richard Karash – the eye continues to come back again and again
    Tim Holte – My Favorite
    Wayne Wrights – love the summitry
    Thomas Burden – thanks for the memories… wonderful!
    Douglas Ely – your first shoot Wow! Excellent!
    Per-Christian Nilssen – your shots are amazing and most enjoyable
    Kris Bochenek – great door… the missing paint at the bottom sets it off
    Raden Munim – nice… the water droplets & background are perfect
    Monika Epsefass – you keep me wondering what’s around the corner Great shot

145. Gej, thank you for your nice comment!

146. Maned Wolf
    After many, many weeks of viewing so many wonderful images, I decided to bite the bullet and submit one of my own. It's been snowy & cold here, but a hike in the zoo seemed appealing! This maned Wolf was one of the very few animals that ventured forth.
    Nikon D90, Tamron 18-270 f6.3 1/125

147. Maned Wolf
    After many, many weeks of viewing so many wonderful images, I decided to bite the bullet and submit one of my own. It's been snowy & cold here, but a hike in the zoo seemed appealing! This maned Wolf was one of the very few animals that ventured forth.
    Nikon D90, Tamron 18-270 f6.3 1/125

148. Greg, you`re so kind... thanks. Now, I`m thinking I should work with some of my old slides, mostly to check how good they really are and to learn how to get reasonably good scans (it seems to me an almost impossible task!).

149. @ Kent Shafer , thanks for your comment. You can't imagine how wonderful was the duck speeding on this crystal clear water surface...

150. Thanks Kent :)

151. Jeannean B, Lovely photo of the roadrunner, beep-beep, but no apologies needed for supposed "another roadrunner" photo. You like birds n' bugs, thats what you like and enjoy taking photos of and they are all different and lovely, and as everyone has probably noticed the pattern, everyone here has a theme, a favourite subject. I think people take better photos of the subjects they actually like, thats the way it goes. I like aviation related subjects and I always will, others here are stricly portrait, others landscape, others sports photographers etc. So you keep dishing up them birds n' bugs. (do they really run fast and make those 'beep-beep' noises ?). Incidentally, must say on your last weeks amber photo, don't make that same mistake with the extra '0' on the price if you go and buy any new Nikon stuff, that could be a very expensive mistake ! The amber always reminds me of "Jurassic Park" and the amber encrusted mosquito from which they took the dino-DNA !
    Aguinaldo- Lovely bird capture
    Hamish -Spectaular scenery
    Thomas G- great concert shot
    Tom P - beautiful sunset
    John M- Lovely duck shot, yes that water is so clear !
    Thomas B- That building front looks exactly like that the Natuaral History Museum in London
    Nick D- Nice photo but apart from the fact that that looks so painful, your 'street' performers seem to be dangling somewhere over the sea ?
    Ian - (no other details ) is that a dead man ?

152. Paula - the bird in last week's thread was most assuredly a Bushtit. I'm rather sure of it. :)
    Hamish - thank you for commenting on my mushrooms.

153. @ Andrew Fedon. Thanks for the comment.

154. The pictorial diversity and camaraderie are the two things I enjoy most on this forum.
    Congratulations to Tim Holte (a regular poster on this forum) on being awarded his 4th POW for his “Dog walker at sunrise” which featured as part of WedNEsDAy PiC #49. Tim and Daniel Bayer are the only members on Photo.net to have received this award four times. No member has received five POWs.

Catching up on recent threads

WedNEsDAy PiC #3
    The things I liked in the following shots …
    Boris Milijevic – rain and the colour
    Dallas McVicker – bird’s pose and eye contact
    Doug Santo – church and cloud in B&W
    Greg Jones – baby’s pose and background
    John Harper – wide angle view of train, colours and cloud
    Joesph Leotta – great atmosphere and in B&W
    Pedro Cardoso – self-portrait, colours and shading
    Roberta Robertson – two birds, sadly one with a nail

WedNEsDAy PiC #4
    Aguinaldo de Paula – beach scene, sky and umbrella
    Alan Cring – portrait of man expression
    Boris Milijevic – shadow effect on champ
    Dieter Schaeffer – colourful background in bird image
    Hayley Karl – grandmother’s contemplation at 95
    Jennifer Meighan – rich and vibrant colours
    Juhano Niva – child’s boredom and viewpoint
    Mark Gordon – two birds, sadly one with a nail
    Michael Durkin – snow boarder and sky
    Narayan Kovvali – IR effect of blue sky and snow white trees
    Nicolaie Costel – Sandra Bulloch (look-a-like :) to my eyes)
    Oskar Ojala – close-up view of a snow flake
    Peng Wichakool – snow flaked rail composition in B&W
    Ray Gosalia – cheeky smile and effect of “stamp” frame
    Richard Karesh – afternoon light on awnings
    Tim Holte – foggy monotone scene against bright red umbrella

WedNEsDAy PiC #5
    Adam Zyto – nice fisheye view looking outside and red door
    Arthur Richardson – disassociation of the man and the background
    Bill J Boyd – flight of pelican and background
    Dieter Schaefer – behaviour of pelican and background
    Eddy Furlong – impression of the young lady holding up the lamp
    Francesco Pessolano – effect of broken glass on background
    Gej Jones – framing of the pier, aspect and light
    Hamish Gray – colour change and composition
    Ilkka Nissila – close-up effect of the icicles in B&W
    Jana Hughes – composition and effect of monochrome blue on your boy
    Jeannean Buglady – effect of blurred foreground and expression of the road runner
    Kent Shafer – flawless passport photo :)
    Lawrence Ho – Pinocchio’s expression
    Matt Laur – awesome knife, apple reflection shot to start the thread
    Mircea C – exquisite take on “The Last Mohican”
    Narayan Kovvali – subtle tones and colours of the sunset and the placement of the sun
    Sankha Hota – colours of the inverted hibiscus
    Steve Hughes – expression of the bird
    Thomas Gerstendoerfer – Composition of concert and the lighting effect
    Tom Mann – sharpness of the shades and tones in the snow/tree composition in B&W

The above compilation confirms in my mind what I feel is true for me. Every week there are different things to like about different photographs taken by different photographers. I also like it when the moderators (such as Lex and Shun) post their photos because it makes me think that they are also part of the team and having fun.

155. Jeannean, Oops, slight correction to my comments about the amber photo. That should have been for Rene' V. Got my peoples mixed up here !
    So Rene',.... must say on your last weeks amber photo, don't make that same mistake with the extra '0' on the price if you go and buy any new Nikon stuff, that could be a very expensive mistake ! The amber always reminds me of "Jurassic Park" and the amber encrusted mosquito from which they took the dino-DNA !

156. There are so many great works. It's very hard to pick, but my favorite this week are:
    Jeannean - your bird pics are as good as bug pics!
    Mikhail - nice angle of a handsome bird,
    Lil - um, where is the bird? Kidding. I like mushroom, too.
    Epp B - nice texture.
    Tiffany - I normally don't comment on people photo, but this one really got it.
    Aguinaldo - Sharp!
    Hamish - nice, cold and foggy scene.
    Neven - a great moment photo, as always.
    Dieter - nice pelican dance!
    Ilkka - I like your cold icy scenes.
    Janne - interesting pattern.
    Tom M - wonderful snow scene.
    Mircea C - like a painting and want to hang on the wall.
    Kent - what everyone said!
    Tom Pernal - I like this sunset scene.
    David Love - very nice night photo.
    Tim Holte - very nice angle sepia photo.
    Gary McGhee - wonderful scenery with water reflection.
    Dallas McVicker - very nice poster-like photo.
    Doug Santo - nice wide angle.
    Shun - as always, nice capture of the moment.
    F Dial - well captured the light and color of sunset scene.
    Monika - well composed pattern.
    I enjoyed the tour around the world this week again. But where are Joseph Leotta and Rene V??? I miss them both regulars.
    See you next Wednesday.

157. my favorites this week:
    Narayan - again great shot, I really like the contrast between those hills/mountains
    Grant - very dramatic feeling in this pic
    Lawrence - I like the fact that Pinocchio looks like a real boy, just like in the original story
    Tiffany - just beatiful
    Neven - you nailed the timing here and the shadow just makes it even better...nice!
    Janne - again nice abstract picture....you've got the eye for these!
    Tom - great colours and nice silhuette

158. Oh! It's WeDNeSDaY again...... or isn't it!
    A bit late here! Lost track of time..... I finally had a busy week after..... Uhmmm!? 3 or 4 months of vacation!
    Anyway, this is a simple shot of the passage halls in the Vienna Subway.
    Great shots everyone.....
    00Vi4C-218315684.jpg

159. Many thanks to those that commented on my Roadrunner shot from this week. I appreciate the encouragement. I promise next week there will be something different. :)
    Rene, glad to see you are no longer MIA. Now, we need to find Joseph. I hope he's ok. And speaking of MIA's, Chris Court promised a return. Chris, where are you?!