Nikon vs. Canon Flash

frankie_frank1

I can only comments about Nikon.

I have the SB-800, SB-400 and SB-R200 and I like them a lot, the 800 is very powerful and easy to work with and the R-200 are awesome for macro/micro photography.. The 400 is a nice little flash if you need a little more than the built in flash from the camera of have a camera like the D2X/H and need a small flash.

All and all I'm pretty happy with Nikon iTTL flashes.

I'm a Nikon user, and so I may have this wrong, but my understanding is that the Canon infrared wireless trigger system doesn't offer true manual flash control. That is, you can't set Group A to 1/4 power and Group B to 1/8 power; instead you can only specify the ratio (2:1, in this case) along with TTL metering. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure someone will correct me...

The Nikon system lets you control three flash groups (plus the flash on the camera), and each can be manual or TTL.

Some people say the Nikon flash metering system is more effective, but I've only seen unsubstantiated claims rather than real tests.

I really like the Nikon CLS triggering system. Some people report difficulty getting reliable triggering, but it's been nearly flawless for me.

Nikon's Creative Lighting System is GREAT!

It almost makes off camera flash way tooooo easy! We use two or three SB800's for our wedding work and have never had any issues with the flashes not firing when they were supposed to fire.

The three banks and four channels give you a great deal of flexibility. If you can dream it up - you can probably do it with the Nikon system.

The SB800's are also backwards compatible with Nikon film bodies - although you lose the multiple flash capability. I get great results on my F5 with one SB800!

I have not personally used the Canon system but I have read that it is similar but maybe not as flexible as the Nikon system.

Both are excellent and you are the one who brought up the "vs.", so the innocent third-party deferrment doesn't work.

I use both excellent Swiss strobes and cheapie Chinese ones. They all work. If you are more worried about the level of automation that this or that brand will over you, then you will forever be stuck in the "vs." debate. You need to focus on the effect you are trying to achieve, not which brand will out-think the next. Any modern system is more more than adequate for any of our needs.

Nikon has Canon beet when it comes to speedlights hands down. Even the Canon guys will tell you this. I know Canon shooters that won't purchase Canon speedlights. They will only shoot Metz.

Nikons Metering and CLS is incredible.

I can't really say anything else about Canon's line except what I've hear others make comments on. I have never heard anyone say anything negative about the Nikon speedlights. That should tell you something.

I haven't kept up with Canon's development the past couple of years but what kept me a Nikonista (vs. Canonite) when I was pondering a dSLR was the iTTL capabilities. At the time I was shopping around, about three years ago, Nikon's CLS flash system was considered the bees knees, the cream of the crop among hotshoe type TTL flash systems. And I'm definitely happy with it.

I recall hearing stories about a few Canon pros who didn't actually switch from Canon, but added Nikon specifically for access to the CLS flash capabilities for certain assignments.

1. Price- I'm told Nikon makes its own high-end flashes, while Canon still has its flashes made for it by third-party vendors; so Nikon's flashes retail for less. At B&H, with U.S. warranties:

SB-800, $315 v. Canon 580 EX II, $360

SB-600, $185 v. Canon 430 EX II, $240

2. Size/weight- Nikon has made an effort to reduce the size and bulk of its flashes. So, for instance, the SB-800 is 2.8 x 5.0 x 3.6" (WxHxD) and weighs 12.3 oz. The Canon 580 EX II is 3 x 5.3 x 4.5" (WxHxD) and weighs 13.2 oz.

The differences aren't that dramatic. But I lug around four SB-800s, so the size/weight differences add up.

3. Versatility- Nikon's flagship, the SB-800 still has an auto eye and can be used in aperture-priority auto on almost any camera. I use my SB-800s with my Mamiya 7IIs. None of Canon's TTL flashes have auto eyes.

Ditto Eric's observation about Nikon flashes retaining the "old fashioned" auto-thyristor capability. This makes it very handy for auto flash use with virtually any camera, Nikon or not, SLR or ancient compact rangefinder. Rather than limiting us to two or three f/stops like most auto-thyristor flashes, the SB-800 offers tremendous flexibility for non-TTL flash cameras. My results using the SB-800 in auto-thyristor mode on my F3HP and FM2N are nearly equal to TTL flash with my D2H.

Andrew is pretty much correct but i'm pretty sure it isn't Panasonic per se but possibly one of their subsidiaries. But that is jsut the physical build to the camera makers specifications. The brains of the smart flashes are in dependently engineered and programmed for the individual systems: there is no overlap there.

Andrew, Nikon reps have told me that the SB-26 was the last Nikon flagship flash made for Nikon. They've said that Nikon has taken its high-end flash production in-house. But if you have any links you'd like to share to bolster your assertion, that would be swell.

Assuming arguendo you're right, Canon's current flagship is more cumbersome, not as well-designed, has fewer features and lacks the accuracy of the SB-800. Why would Canon's flash cost over 10% more than the SB-800 at dealer net and retail? How can Nikon, a company with fewer sales and less buying clout than Canon retail its high-end flashes for significantly less if both companies are paying a premium to badge Panasonic flashes? Why wouldn't Canon demand that Panasonic sell it the SB-800 and stick Nikon with the 580 EX II?

"The information I have is from reading postings here and elsewhere, especially by a repairman who works on flashes."

Andrew, you assume the Nikon reps are liars, but anonymous people posting online provide unqualified proof for your position? Huh.

The reason I tend to give the Nikon reps credence on this issue is they were clearly right about the SB-26 being made by a third-party vendor. The SB-26 shared major exterior body parts with Canon's flagship flash at the time, the 540EZ I think, and with the Contax TLA 360 flash I owned for my G-series gear. Starting with the SB-28, though, Nikon's flagship flashes have been distinctly different in size and body shape from any other flash on the market.

That having been said, you and Ellis could be right. Certainly, the SU-800 Remote Commander and ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter, that are used with the respective flagship flashes, are similar products in function if not in looks, suggesting a single vendor.