Nikon Speedlight SB-700 and wireless radio trigger/receiver

nancy_nafziger

I have a Nikon Speedlight SB-700 and recently purchased Paul C. Buff radio trigger and battery operated transmitter. But, I can't figure

out how to set up the battery operated transmitter. I can't find a port on the Speedlight for it. Can you use wireless radio transmitters with

this Speedlight? have a feeling I made a mistake buying th SB-700. I can't return that. Help, in need of advice.

Thanks,

Nancy

<p>Hi Nancy. I'm a little confused - why do you want a <i>transmitter</i> on the speedlight? Do you not want a receiver on the speedlight end? (The camera triggers the flash, not the other way around.) Assuming you're talking about the receiver instead, the system you mention seems a little unusual - many radio receivers have a hotshoe and can trigger the flash as though it were on the camera. It appears there's a PC-Sync adaptor available for the radio receiver; off the top of my head, I don't know if an SB-700 has a socket for one, but you can certainly get a PC-Sync to hotshoe adaptor cheaply. Of course, you'll have completely manual flash control that way.<br />

<br />

I'm guessing a bit, but I hope that helps.</p>

<p>Thanks Andrew, <br /><br />Wow, I messed this up. Yes, I want the receiver on the speedlight. And, the transmitter on the camera. I also failed to mention I have a Nikon D750. I understand I can put the camera in commander mode and I can set up the speedlight to fire wirelessly this way. But, I wanted to freedom of not always having to have the sensor at the front of the flash unit is within line of sight of the camera. At times this is challenging to be restricted.<br /><br />What is the best way to for me to fire the speedlight wirelessly? Use the commander mode on my camera or get a PC-Sync to hotshoe adapter? Also, can you explain what the the PC-Sync to hotshoe adapter is and how it works.<br /><br />When I have the budget, I would like to start using an Einstein strobe instead of the speedlight. In that case would it best to use the radio transmitter and receiver as previously described? I am just a beginner and trying to get a handle on this.<br>

Thanks much!!!<br>

Nancy<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>If it's the model CSRB receiver that you have Nancy, then connection to a Nikon speedlight isn't straightforward. The P-C connector supplied with the Buff triggers (SC-CSRAUX) only does half the job, thanks to Nikon's crazy decision to use a female P-C socket on their flashguns, and to completely omit one (by the look of it) from the SB-700. I think your only option is to buy a hotshoe to P-C adaptor foot. Like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/621574-REG/Interfit_STR116_STR116_Hot_Shoe.html</p>

<p>Annoying, but not a major issue, and it will allow you to mount the flash on a standard lighting stand. However, as Andrew already posted, you'll only have manual mode available on the flashgun. No I-TTL or CLS control.</p>

<p>Edit: posted before seeing your reply to Andrew.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In that case would it best to use the radio transmitter and receiver as previously described?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>IMHO, radio triggering is the way to go. CLS is limited in range and orientation of camera to flash, and is also very unreliable in strong ambient light. You just need to get a handle on full manual control of flash power and exposure. A flash-meter would be a good investment for studio use.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've bought the cheap but so far very cheerful Yongnuo YN622N transceivers with a YN622N-TX tranmitter - works like a charm, also with a SB700. They can be found on Amazon, and prices are really very reasonable (should be around $80 for a pair of tranceivers, $50 for the transmitter, which is optional). Works with iTTL, manual, HSS - so far haven't found a downside yet.</p>
  • Like 2

<p>If you want full CLS control of the SB-700 speedlight you would have to go with the Pocket Wizard TT1 transmitter for the camera and the TT5 receiver for the speedlight. Make sure you get the Nikon model of the units. They also sell a Canon compatible model.</p>

<p>Here is a URL</p>

<p>http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/flextt5-nikon/</p>

<p>Lorne, it looks like that YN622N kit that Wouter recommended (link: <a href="http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=339">http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=339</a> ) does everything that CLS and the FlexTT5 can do, but at a fraction of PW's inflated price. Sure, you don't control the flash from the camera menu, rather from the trigger commander, but that's a good thing isn't it? No more digging into the camera menu to set flash power, and then remembering to click "OK" before you exit the menu.</p>

<p>I've also been tempted by the Yongnuos - price put me off Pocket Wizard. That said, I don't do all that much with flash, and when I do I've generally got on okay with CLS triggered from the camera - I have three SB-600s that I use. But the most recent time I used them, I did end up hanging one from a ceiling fixture with a gorillapod so that the IR receiver picked up the camera's flash - I was facing out into a large open space, and there really wasn't any bounce-back. If I did a lot of flash shooting and it had to be reliable, I'd probably have gone wireless some time ago.</p>

• 2 years later...
I recently bought a Nikon SB700, and Yungnuo YN622N TX transmitter, and Yungnuo YN622 reciever. My camera is a Nikon D750. Although I can get the flash to fire (off camera), I have to set the flash power manually on the SB700. Is there a way to use the transmitter to remotely set the flash power? I can do this with my other flash, which is a Yungnuo 685. Everything is set to manual.

I am sorry you cannot get your triggers to work the way you want.

I can recommend Godox X1N or XPro transmitters. Both offer IR AF assist light, full 2.4 GHz radio controlled CLS TTL (you can set groups and ratios) and manual mode. I use the X1N and receivers with my two SB-800. It wil also work with the SB-700. Everything CLS works with the addition that the link is 2.4 GHz radio.

A set with a transmitter and a reciever is about USD 80-85.

I believe Adorama also offer Godox products under the name Flashpoint.

I use a SB700 with the same set Yongnuo's and there is absolutely no reason to get other transmitters.

Make sure you set the SB700 normal - meaning just switch it ON (not to Remote or Master), and set the mode (on the left) to TTL. Also, verify that the flash powerzoom works via your receivers - this should work regardless of other settings, so it's a nice way to test if the communication from the receiver to the flash is actually OK.

<p>I've bought the cheap but so far very cheerful Yongnuo YN622N transceivers with a YN622N-TX tranmitter - works like a charm, also with a SB700. They can be found on Amazon, and prices are really very reasonable (should be around $80 for a pair of tranceivers, $50 for the transmitter, which is optional). Works with iTTL, manual, HSS - so far haven't found a downside yet.</p>

I purchased the same outfit about 4 years ago. Works great. Have a receiver for all for flashes, even an non-nikon flash.

Just finished a photoshoot for two middle school basketball teams. Worked flawless. It's the operator, as usual, that causes most of my problems.

Just to be clear: Wouter, bnelson, you believe the Yungnuo should allow flash ratios through TTL CLS to work wirelessly with an SB700?

Selfish inquiry: I'm used to setting CLS ratios triggered by my D810's internal flash, but when I bite the bullet on a D850 I'm going to have to find a trigger, so affordable radio options are of interest. I wonder how much Nikon care about their radio system being expensive and a little unwieldy? (I still think they should have put a radio trigger in the prism housing.)

I use a SB700 with the same set Yongnuo's and there is absolutely no reason to get other transmitters...

True, I did note note it was an old thread, so my comment was in reply to the OP. Sorry if that caused any confusion.

Andrew, it appears to me that the Yongnou does what the Godox does. I got the Godox XT1 but a friend got the XPro for the better interface. I got the XT1 for its hot shoe, but I should have realised I would not use it... My friend’s plans involves mixing his SB-800 with a Godox monolight using iTTL CLS on both (on a D850). My usage is either the SB-800(s) alone or with my old monolight(s). Both Godox triggers handle groups A-E, HSS, power zoom and allow you to mix iTTL CLS, manual flash (with either remotely adjustable output or studio strobes/old manual only flashes triggered via the PC sync connector) and the entire Godox range (camera mount and studio strobes) on iTTL CLS anyway you want. The system also doubles as a remote trigger for your camera (although I cannot ge T mode to work, normal release mode works). If you are still in the market for a radio based system, it is worth looking at.

CLS doesn't really enter the picture with radio triggers. iTTL and iTTL-BL do, but CLS isn't used (the wireless functionality in CLS is done via IR, if I am not mistaken, while with radiotriggers you're obviously using radio).

With the Yongnuo kit, you get 3 groups which you can set individually (zoom, TTL or manual and the power) - of course in case of TTL, the flash itself needs to support that too. So in that sense, it offers the exact same functionality as you get in-camera with CLS using the pop-up flash. It makes a good like-for-like replacement, but radio is a more reliable signal than what CLS uses, and in my view, the YN622TX is a lot easier to control.

I still think they should have put a radio trigger in the prism housing.

Not 100% sure, but from what I've always understood is that this creates requirements for additional certifications for multiple countries, and the need to use different radiochannels in different countries (esp. in Europe). So it complicates the stock and production lines, which would inevitably drive up cost further. But as said, not 100% so I might be completely off.

It seems to me that if you're setting flash ratios, then i-TTL is of little benefit. So what's wrong with just setting manual power output on each flash?

With a DSLR, getting the correct key light exposure takes a few trial pops at most, and a flashmeter* is even quicker. Chances are that flakey i-TTL will need manual tweaking via flash compensation anyway.

What's a few seconds taking a flash reading compared to the setup time of erecting lighting stands and modifiers for a formal shoot?

Having manual control over every light also means you can easily mix monolights and speedlights using the same radio triggers. For example: A little speedlight makes a very handy semi-focused kicker or hairlight, while a monolight does the grunt work of key lighting.

* A used Shepherd FM1000 can be got for around £25 UK ($35 US) and is just as accurate as a fancy Sekonic costing 10 times as much.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

rodeo_joe|1, I do not mind manual mode. Somehow my friend does and since he is far from alone in this day and age, I think it is a good thing that you can set flash ratios in TTL mode. Nikon's Flash Value Lock feature is helpful as it can lock in the flash output from the last exposure and keep it for the rest of the shoot. Godox also has a feature that can take a TTL value and transfer it to a manual value.

Thanks, all. I've not had that much problem with the metered flash - at least, as a starting point or for flash candids (I've been known to stick a flash on either end of a monopod held at 45 degrees and have walk-around clamshell lighting in dark events, but I don't make a habit of it). Still, my concern is less with metering than with being able to control power from the location of the camera (I guess being in the camera menus doesn't matter too much). In a small space, clambering over flash stands and around umbrellas without tripping over anything is tedious, and I'd rather just stay at the camera.

Wouter: There's certainly RF certification, but once you've put bluetooth and wifi in a camera, I kind of assume you've had to do all your certification anyway.

I recently bought a Nikon SB700, and Yungnuo YN622N TX transmitter, and Yungnuo YN622 reciever. My camera is a Nikon D750. Although I can get the flash to fire (off camera), I have to set the flash power manually on the SB700. Is there a way to use the transmitter to remotely set the flash power? I can do this with my other flash, which is a Yungnuo 685. Everything is set to manual.

I had to follow some steps to get it to work...

I started by following the instructions found here : Yongnuo YN-622N iTTL triggers and YN-622N-TX features/bugs "busted" (read this, if you own these!): Studio and Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review

But i had still problems, my SB600's only wanted to fire full power when in manual mode , after some expirimentation i found that i still had to switch off the whole setup and switch on again, and then do some test flashes ( for each device once by using the test button on the YN-622n-TX ), seemingly it needed this for some kind ogf "Handshake", after which all works finen now..

I've a bunch of Yongnou YN-560 MK IIIs and IV's. The IVs have a transceiver too if need be. I can adjust everything from the YN-560 TX mounted on hootshoe.

Pairing everything up is a doddle.

I occasionally use the 622 set-up with the above units for Hi-Speed Sync.

Gave up totally on Nikon Speedlights eons ago. Horrid UI and very expensive.... and rely on IR to communicate, daft.