Nikon Picture Control Utility 2.0, Capture NX-D and View NX-i

deantaylor

<p>I've downloaded those but haven't used them yet. I still have ViewNX 2 for occasional use, but mostly use Lightroom.</p>

<p>If I'm recalling correctly, the picture control utility allows us to create custom looks and load them into the camera, to supplement the standard, vivid, landscape, portrait, neutral, etc., looks. About 10 years ago I used an early version of the picture control utility to create a custom curve specifically for use with direct flash to reduce saturation slightly, and smooth out midtones and avoid blown highlights.</p>

<p>ViewNX is primarily a photo viewer, with some capabilities for tagging, keywords and very basic editing.</p>

<p>Capture is more of a full featured editor.</p>

<p>hey Lex!</p>

<p>thanks once again for weighing in!</p>

<p>To be certain about your comment: are we saying that the Picture Control Utility allows me to 'modify' or <br>

'enhance' the D7000's innate program?</p>

<p>If anyone has tried this, please comment here regarding its utility--might it actually offer worthwhile<br>

enhancement? How have you put it to use?</p>

<p>thanks mate!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Dean, simply give these a try? All three of these programs are fairly obvious in what they do, and they all three have help-files explaining what they do... there really is no harm in simply firing them up and see which one does what. They are largely self-explaining.<br>

Yes, Picture Control Utility lets you create your own Picture Styles, which can be used in Capture NX-D (as a sort of "recipe" for developing your raw files), and for some models camera you can copy the picture style onto the camera and use it there directly (which is mainly useful when you shoot JPEG, rather than raw). More info here: http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/picture_control_edition/picture_control_utility/ (documentation not yet updated for the latest versions, though).<br>

View NX-i is much like View NX2, but with the editing tools removed; editing is covered in Capture NX-D.</p>