Nikon P500 Photography steps for beginner

srikki

<p>Hi There,<br /> This is my first post in the forum. I bought a Nikon P500 last week and would like to know any techs or tips to take movement objects. Tried few shots for last two days however, still failing. Also, any guide to teach how to use other options like ISO, Exposure, Night and portrait.<br /> I'm loving this camera, atleast for beginners its awesome... i believe. :)</p>

<p>Any inputs or comments much appreciated.</p>

<p>Hi, and welcome!<br>

As a guide for an option like ISO, as well as gaining understanding what the different exposure modes (like Night, Portrait etc.) do, I recommend the book <em>Understanding Exposure</em> by Bryan Peterson. This book will give you a clear understanding, I think, and the lessons it gives are invaluable on any camera you ever use.<br>

Shots of moving objects can be difficult, and there are a few reasons why they can fail. In the Bryan Peterson book, you'll get to understand a few of the possible options; there can be various other reasons as well, but it would be more useful if you can post an example of one of your photos.</p>

<p>Your camera is considerably above beginners level and will enable you to grow with knowledge to handle most things I'd expect you to want to do. It is the Nikon version of untill recently my favourite camera and earlier I had a similar Nikon which I still consider the best camera I have owned, and still have.<br>

The best bit of advice you can get is to always take half-trigger and wait for the camera to tell you that it is ready to take the shot ... failure to do this is the most common stumbling block for newbies.<br>

Second is to trust the camera's automatics, it may not always be correct becuase of what you ask it to do but mostly it will be better than you.<br>

One trap is that the camera will always give you the correct exposure but in low light this will be a long exposure [ shutter speed] which requires you to steady the camera to be successful ...resting it on something steady or maybe a tripod. You have OIS but it cannot work miracles. That x35 zoom is another trap and you must support the camera adequately when using full zoom or be using at least a 1/400 shutter speed if hand holding. <br>

When using 'auto' ISO the trap is that it will use a high ISO which leads to noisy pictures instead of the nice clean results you get at the lowest setting ....I work at the lowest unless I really need to increase ISO to cope with low lighting or subject movement the slow shutter speed the camera wants to use in the lower light levels. Auto ISO will not increase in normal daylight when you want a higher ISO to help capture movement with a high shutter speed.<br>

Finally I hope that you have an editing programme which enables you to read and study the EXIF information the camera records for every shot it takes, and relate that information to your successes and failures. Key info being shutter speed, aperture, actual focal length and ISO if in autoISO since those are the factors you will control when you start to use A S M options. Focus you will have to remember yourself because EXIF doesn't give this.</p>

<p>Your camera can be used like a P&S or you can learn how to get the most out of it. There's way too much to include here. My suggestion to all newbies is to get a good basic book. Three very good ones are, "Understanding Photography Field Guide" by Bryan Peterson, "National Geographic Ultimate Field Guide to Photography", and "LIFE Guide to Digital Photography" by Joe McNally. Any one of these books will cover all of the basics and some more advanced techniques.</p>

<p>Do some reading and some shooting and when you have specific questions, ask us. Most of all be patient with yourself and have fun.</p>

<p>@ Wouter and Mark: Thanks for your guidance and for the references. Yes, will ak u guyz if i need any help.<br /> @ JC: Thanks for your time and brief explanation, i have tried few photos last night and i think i am improving day by day in taking those pics... :)<br /> ONCE AGAIN THANKS ALL!!!!!</p>

<p>@ Wouter and Mark: Thanks for your guidance and for the references. Yes, will ak u guyz if i need any help.<br>

@ JC: Thanks for your time and brief explanation, i have tried few photos last night and i think i am improving day by day in taking those pics... :)<br>

ONCE AGAIN THANKS ALL!!!!!</p>

<p>But you used flash which is very brief, perhaps upward of 1/500 second so a stand or tripod was not needed [perhaps] but shoot it again with the flash forced off and with support ... the grass and platform will be sharp but I doubt the child and animal would be :-).</p>